Hello

Options
Mitch_K
Mitch_K Posts: 11 Member
I'm Mitch from MN.
I'm here and using this app to try and get motivated to get back in shape. I'm at about 230 lbs and also recovering from a broken knee-cap from a car wreck back in January. I've finally gotten to where I can jog without pain but the whole leg is weak from atrophy :(
So until I can really start working out hard again I'm mostly focusing on my (poor) eating habits.

Replies

• 25lbsorbust
    25lbsorbust Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hey Mitch from MN!

Welcome to MFP. I'm sorry to hear about your car accident. Don't rush in trying to get back to exercise, do what's best for you. Even just walks can help weight loss immensely!

Are you doing a full overhaul of your diet, or just counting calories?
  • spiritedmis
    spiritedmis Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi Mitch! sorry about your knee :( I found that once I start a 'habit' it is so much easier to continue the habit! good luck!
  • spiritedmis
    spiritedmis Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi Mitch! sorry about your knee :( I found that once I start a 'habit' it is so much easier to continue the habit! good luck!
  • lisahebert186
    lisahebert186 Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Welcome Mitch! I'm sorry to hear about your accident but happy that you are staying motivated. Food was my first step as well. Now I am trying to incorporate fitness in my daily life as well.
    Good luck to your on your journey and feel free to add me if you like.
  • Mitch_K
    Mitch_K Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks! The food I eat really isn't bad, it's mostly home cooked, my problem is portion control and cravings for snacks.
  • lisahebert186
    lisahebert186 Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I love food and I love to cook. I am finding ways every day to make foods that taste great and help me achieve my goals. I can completely understand snacking, as I have three children who snack all the time, as least they want to. As much as I am doing this for myself, I am also doing this for them. I want them to see that you can be healthy and enjoy snacks and good in general.
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Hi Mitch. I broke my kneecap too, in June. Surgery and screws. This has really set me back as far as fitness and diet. I was not able to navigate my own home due to too many stairs, but now I am back and starting to pick up. Wonderful that you can jog again, I am not that far! The biggest motivator for me right now is knowing that knees are a major weight-bearing joint in your body, supporting your entire body weight and even more if you run, jump, etc. Often while bending. Taking some of the load off of your knees by weight loss will help tremendously in functional recovery. I am trying to focus on where I have been-laying flat on my back with my leg up in the air, or moving forward to all of the hiking and other physical activities that I want to return to. This is making me stop and think about every bite I take, is it worth it? Good luck to both of us!
    http://www.health.harvard.edu/pain/why-weight-matters-when-it-comes-to-joint-pain
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your injury - Wishing you the very best of luck reaching your goals. You can do it :)
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Feeling good to get back on track.