weight loss and menopause

2»

Replies

• OneWayOnlyCycles
    OneWayOnlyCycles Posts: 67 Member
    Yes, it is possible but it takes a lot of work. I'm right in the middle of it. The best thing is a lot of exercise. Takes your mind of the sweats. Herbal stuff helps too. The mood swings are awful but the herbs help.
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Bio-identical hormone replacement can be an incredible boon for us. Gets rid of the nasty symptoms and allows you to sleep, leaving you rested for whatever you have to do (including exercise and diet).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I'm not finding it much harder than before to be honest, 14 pounds down in 2 months and I'm in my fifties with not a ton of weight to lose! Just do it.

Same here. I'm 52 and have lost 25lbs since January. A nice, steady 1lb per week. I run 10k three times a week, do a bit of resistance work (not as much as I should probably, but I just love my cardio too much), and most importantly of all, I count my calories. And none of this 1,200 nonsense either. I'm 5' 2", and have been losing by eating anywhere between 1,500 and 1,800 daily. It's starting to slow down now, but I've only got about 5lbs to go and it's no big deal if it takes me another six months to get there.

As she says, It's DOABLE. I think it IS slower, but yeah, it's doable. I lost 30Lbs in 3 months in my younger days. Now It's much slower. I'd say stay active, do weight bearing exercise, cut back on refined carbs, eat healthy fats and protein, and have patience. If you find you have insulin resistance, as MANY menopausal women do, then tweak.
    Good luck.
    LauraCoth wrote: »
    Bio-identical hormone replacement can be an incredible boon for us. Gets rid of the nasty symptoms and allows you to sleep, leaving you rested for whatever you have to do (including exercise and diet).
    I totally agree regarding BIOIDENTICAL hormone replacement.
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 350 Member
    I lost weight, without any HRC, using WW & then MFP. I didn't gain weight because of menopause...just got very lazy & greedy, to be honest, quit working out when I retired from USAF. WW helped a lot, but then decided MFP would work, & it's free. Had no problems losing whenI worked the program correctly, am back to working out 6days week, & at BMI 21.