30 minutes vs 60 minutes of exercise

Hi if I burn 400 calories in a 30 minute workout, and 400 in a 60 minute workout, is one better than the other? I was always told an hour workout is best but does it matter if my calorie burn is the same?

Replies

• thrashscara
    thrashscara Posts: 72 Member
    It all depends on the exercise, 400 calories in 30 mins would be some serious stuff, I've never managed to hit 400 cals doing very high intensity stuff, such as crossfit (according to my heart rate monitor), however burning 400 cals in an hour is more 'realistic', such as running, swimming etc. I always live by the mantra of "if its too go to be true.. it is!"

But don't forget, that ANY workout is better then nothing at all, but it would be important to focus on getting an accurate calorie burn for whatever you choose to do, to avoid over estimating and then overeating those precious calories!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Whichever is best is the one that you enjoy enough to do long term, or at least until you come up with something else you'd rather do instead.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member

But don't forget, that ANY workout is better then nothing at all

So true! I see this quote all the time and I love it, Even if youre going slow youre lapping everyone on the couch :)
  • snehad123
    snehad123 Posts: 119 Member
    It is said that if you do sprints or HIIT exercises even if you burn the same amount of calories during workout you will burn more calories after you are done with the workout as compared to 60 min steady state cardio.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    snehad123 wrote: »
    It is said that if you do sprints or HIIT exercises even if you burn the same amount of calories during workout you will burn more calories after you are done with the workout as compared to 60 min steady state cardio.
    @snehad123
    People may say that - but they are on the wrong track.
    There's a higher percentage of EPOC from HIIT (but still small) but it would be a typically be a slightly higher percentage of a much smaller number. You can't do enough duration of true HIIT to get a big calorie burn.

PS - also remember that steady state doesn't equal low intensity.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I don't think there's any additional benefit to working out longer than 30 minutes so if you can accomplish your goals in 30 minutes instead of 60 then go for it. I started running because I realized I could burn the same amount of calories in half the time of walking. :smile:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    SueInAz wrote: »
    I don't think there's any additional benefit to working out longer than 30 minutes so if you can accomplish your goals in 30 minutes instead of 60 then go for it. I started running because I realized I could burn the same amount of calories in half the time of walking. :smile:

interesting I stopped running because the damage done out weighs the benefits...

OP it's up to you...

I have time for a 1hour walk in the morning and at night...
    If I only had time for 30mins I would do that.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    SueInAz wrote: »

interesting I stopped running because the damage done out weighs the benefits...

OP it's up to you...

I have time for a 1hour walk in the morning and at night...
    If I only had time for 30mins I would do that.

How sad. I've been running for 5 years now and haven't had any damage. If anything, quite the opposite. I've been really careful to ramp up mileage slowly and run every other day, though.