Zombies Run! Questions

Options
A few people mentioned the above as a good way to get motivated to walk more.

My question is how data heavy is it? I have my phone but only 1 gig of data... so won't playing my music and having the app run while using my phone as my iPod instead cost me all my data quickly?

Im sorry if this is a dumb question but I'm not sure how this works...

I assume I can download music (save it) onto my phone from Spotify... and it will coincide with that?

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Yes, doing that is very data heavy, so are advertisements on things like MFP and facebook, and any videos. But if you turn off your data and use wifi most of the time you are ok. Just make sure your data is off. There are other ways too. Here's a good article, and it may help to google some others.

I download podcasts to listen too and sometimes music. But over my computer and load it onto my phone.

CUT DOWN ON YOUR PHONE BILL: HOW TO REDUCE YOUR DATA USAGE ON ANDROID OR IOS (sorry for caps but that was copied and pasted)
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/how-to-reduce-your-data-usage/
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Thanks... I honestly have no clue how to download music to my phone... otherwise I would upload the music from my iPod onto it, and only have to use my phone during the day instead of having to carry both...
    I do keep data off however at all times.
    Unless I am checking something.
    and I do have a limit alert set on my phone.

I just though this app may be OK if I save songs on my phone to listen too - then run the app and listen to the saved songs only...
  • WeaponizedSmallpox
    WeaponizedSmallpox Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The Zombies Run app can use a playlist of music stored on your phone to play during your run. The only thing you will have to download for the app is the audio file of the "mission" you want to play, but you can do that in your house using wifi before you go out for your run. As long as you don't use the GPS tracking there shouldn't be any data used while you are out and about.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    If you have Spotify premium, you can download your playlist when you have wifi and listen anywhere - I do this frequently as I listen to music a ton. Really cuts down on data.

Zombies is similar in that you can download the episode and listen to it without needing to stream it. You do use data if you're using the GPS to track outdoors (which is pretty much how everyone uses it except if you're on a treadmill) but it's not too significant to my knowledge.
  • temazur
    temazur Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I run with it 3-4 days a week, depending on my schedule and mood. In the past 30 days it's used 36.40 mb of data on cellular network for me. So not too bad, really.

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    For my 40 minute run today, Zombies Run used 3.53 MB of mobile data.
  • hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I use Spotify with Zombies Run. You just have to be sure to start Spotify, and then start Zombies.
  • tracymayo1
    Options
    Revivify1 wrote: »
    The Zombies Run app can use a playlist of music stored on your phone to play during your run. The only thing you will have to download for the app is the audio file of the "mission" you want to play, but you can do that in your house using wifi before you go out for your run. As long as you don't use the GPS tracking there shouldn't be any data used while you are out and about.

I have spotify free with my cell plan for 2 years. I actually got home and downloaded the playlist songs I had saved. So now if I want to use them, with the app I assume Zombies Run will ask me to use those songs when I launch it?

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    If you can hook your phone to your computer for data transfer, you can transfer MP3s directly to it. Zombies Run only recognizes some playlists, though one it does recognize is Winamp, which is a free music player. So what I did is copy the music I wanted into a folder on my phone, and used the Winamp app to make a random playlist. It's free, doesn't cost me any data rates, and I with that, I can run ZR without worrying about going over my plan. I do use the GPS because I can't really measure my stride, it varies too much depending on how tired I am, but that doesn't use enough to be an issue for me. ^_^
    tracymayo1 wrote: »

I have spotify free with my cell plan for 2 years. I actually got home and downloaded the playlist songs I had saved. So now if I want to use them, with the app I assume Zombies Run will ask me to use those songs when I launch it?

In ZR, there's a setting to choose your playlist. In your missions, there should be a tab for music at the bottom. That opens up music options that lets you choose where your playlist comes from. You choose external player, and follow the instructions to link it up.
  • tracymayo1
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    If you can hook your phone to your computer for data transfer, you can transfer MP3s directly to it. Zombies Run only recognizes some playlists, though one it does recognize is Winamp, which is a free music player. So what I did is copy the music I wanted into a folder on my phone, and used the Winamp app to make a random playlist. It's free, doesn't cost me any data rates, and I with that, I can run ZR without worrying about going over my plan. I do use the GPS because I can't really measure my stride, it varies too much depending on how tired I am, but that doesn't use enough to be an issue for me. ^_^
    tracymayo1 wrote: »

In ZR, there's a setting to choose your playlist. In your missions, there should be a tab for music at the bottom. That opens up music options that lets you choose where your playlist comes from. You choose external player, and follow the instructions to link it up.

I will download the app at home (said it was pretty large and would probably be safer to install with wifi) and then see. I can do a trial 'run' (ha ha) to get the feel of it - and hopefully it will work with the playlists I made from Spotify!

Thank you EVERYONE for your help!
  • hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    It will work with your spotify play lists. Log in to spotify and choose the Playlist you want, then start playing it. Then go to zombies and start your mission. Zombies will override the music but then play it during the running sequence where the story pauses. It's imperative that you start spotify before zombies.
  • Sapphire_Elf
    Sapphire_Elf Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know whether ZR would work with the amazon music player app? Cheers.
  • tracymayo1
    Options
    Does anyone know whether ZR would work with the amazon music player app? Cheers.
    I don't know personally, but try it... just choose external playlist, and start your amazon music, then launch your mission