How important are macros for recomp?

Options
I have my macros set for 40/30/30 and protein should be around 106. Some days I get that but mostly I average 80s and go way over on my fat. I still pretty much keep my cals but carbs are low even though I eat veg fruit and grains everyday. I still go over on fat. Does this mean is will be hard for me to get leaner? I read conflicting info. Thanks!

Replies

• choplikekarate
    choplikekarate Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It depends. What's your body weight? What are your fitness goals? Ideally, you should be eating anywhere between 0.8 - 1.0 grams of protein for your body weight (or more, depending on your fitness goals). Without knowing more, it sounds like you're not consuming enough protein to repair your body from any workouts that you've been doing. Typically, you'll want to make sure that you hit your protein macros FIRST and then account for everything else.

You say your carbs are low and you're eating fruits/grains every day? I don't think you're logging your foods correctly or your diet isn't as clean as it should be.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Have you considered changing the way you think of macros?
    It's far more flexible to think of protein and fat as minimums and the rest of your calorie allowance can be "spent" however suits you.

Not knowing your weight or exercise doesn't let anyone form an opinion if your protein is adequate or not. Where did the 106g goal come from?

Going over on fat but within your calorie allowance isn't a problem in itself, may be a problem if it's squeezing out your other macros. Fat doesn't make you fat without a calorie surplus.
  • jerb00
    jerb00 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. More info: 4'10" 37 female. Was 104 lbs with Pilates/cardio dieted down to 96 lbs at 1200 cals cuz I wasn't happy with my shape. Still wasn't pleased - skinny fat ya know- so after reading and getting advice here and elsewhere I started strong curves program. Was confused about the number of cals to maintain. I don't weigh myself often but freaked cuz three weeks in I weighed 105ish. But after reassurance I decided to keep cals at 1400 with a 40/30/30 split. 1200 was unbearable for me and this def feel better but after checking nutrition history I don't get the 106 G protein. I get high 80s usually. Sometimes into the 90s. I am a bit obsessive and am trying to be less so but I eat super duper clean. All organic all homemade all whole foods. I eat some sort or berries and banana in the morning, salad for lunch, and a veg with dinner along with porridge everyday (oat/buckwheat/whole wheat) and often polenta. I'd like to lean out - I am starting the lifting program and it is heavier than j have ever done in my life
  • sijomial
    Options
    If you eat at the common 1g / 1lb of lean mass then between 80 - 90g would seem to be perfectly fine. More wouldn't be a problem but wouldn't stress over it if you find it causes you anxiety.

It doesn't have to be terribly precise and at maintenance it's less crucial than when losing weight.

Enjoy your food and your training. :smile:
  • jerb00
    Options
    Thanks sijomial for the feedback. I won't stress about the protein grams cuz I do hit the 80 range more often than not. I don't necessarily want to lose weight but I do want to lose fat, does it matter in that scenario? Would too many fat g and too few carbs g make much of a difference. And, just to be clear, I am not low carb, I just like nuts more
  • sijomial
    Options
    jerb00 wrote: »
    Thanks sijomial for the feedback. I won't stress about the protein grams cuz I do hit the 80 range more often than not. I don't necessarily want to lose weight but I do want to lose fat, does it matter in that scenario? Would too many fat g and too few carbs g make much of a difference. And, just to be clear, I am not low carb, I just like nuts more
    We aren't elite athletes striving for every last 0.1% of performance and results, as a species we can and do thrive on a wide variety of diets.
    You're fine.
  • jerb00
    Options
    "Elite athlete" made me laugh. You are right I def don't fall into that category! I just didn't want to be "spinning my wheeled" as some have suggested. But you are right I think in that perfection is not the goal. So, cool, I'll relax.