Weight loss after surgery

Options
I am 36 years old and had a total knee replacement 6 weeks ago. The meds have completely wiped my appetite out and I am in a vicious pattern of not wanting to eat because I feel sick when I do, so then I take pain meds on an empty stomach and feel sick. I am taking Tramadol now, and before it was Tylenol4. I am down 16 pounds and started back to the gym last week, just using the bike and upper body strengthening. My worry is that I will gain the weight back when I stop taking meds. I am going to try and stop taking them on Wednesday, because Tuesday is my last physical therapy appointment. So, any advice on how to be more careful than normal, so I don't gain those 16 pounds back?

Replies

• FindingLiz016
    FindingLiz016 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    .I am no doctor and I have never been in your shoes but my brother has!!! He just watched what he ate,drank tons of water and exercise and he is still loosing and feeling better than ever :)
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    it's all about the diet - since you are worried about it, you will be more aware of what you are eating, drinking, etc. This will actually help you to maintain the weight loss and to continue to lose weight - the thing you really need to do (while you are still on the meds) is to lay out an eating plan that fits your activities and your desired goals - that way you are ready and not caught flat-footed when you come off the meds. You should also go to the store and buy the foods that you want to start eating before you finish the meds - that way you are doubly prepared!
  • ericaconti
    ericaconti Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I recently had surgery (July 13) and still can't workout for another two weeks and even then it's light exercise. I only took my pain pills for a few days though. Since I can't workout and really haven't even been able to safely walk around my house until this week, I've been super careful with what I've been eating. I usually weigh, measure, and record all my food anyway, but I've been double checking everything just to make sure. Also, since I've been pretty sedentary, I lowered my calories down.

I just keep telling myself to stay focused and stay on track. I know if I keep my calories in check, I'll be just fine. Stay strong, you can do it.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Last year I had a double hip replacement at 55 years of age. All the meds killed my appetite so I lost about 20 pounds. Put the weight back on. Started MfP in January and was 70 pounds since then.

For this to succeed you have to mentally want it and you're already at that stage and you have such an advantage because you realize the consequences of going back to the old habits. Just plug in your stats and goals into the mFP and follow it it works is all I can tell you