Frustrated super taster

Options
hazzaram
hazzaram Posts: 77 Member
I posted here before about my struggles with veggies and was told by quite a few people that I'm more than likely a super taster. I have issues with taste (all veggies taste bitter, even the sweet ones like carrots), I have issues with texture (most veggies make me gag. The only way I can eat them is super mushy).

I find myself browsing recipes for hours, trying to find something that I can eat containing veggies. The more I look, the more frustrated and upset I get. I wish I was normal. I wish I could eat a plate full of veggies without gagging and suffering through the whole thing. I'm so jealous of people that can do that. When I go to work, people will sit there and eat a huge salad for lunch. I want to be able to do that.

I try my best. I blend as much as I can (and try to do a green smoothie a day) but there's a limit to what I can do since it's the taste as well. Spaghetti sauce is great, but I can't live on spaghetti (and I tend to really overeat with it). Soup is another one that helps, but again, I can't live on it. I've just been forcing myself through it, usually eating cooked veggies with potato since I love potatoes. But now I'm sick of eating potatoes and I know they aren't really good for you anyway. It's at the point where I dread eating. I don't look forward to dinner time at all.

I've been told to try different ones but I have. Carrots, broccoli, spinach, kale, bok choy, sweet and regular potatoes, arugula, turnip, squash, lettuces, cauliflower, celery, beans, lentils, avocado, peppers, eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, corn, asparagus... You name it, I've tried it and I've tried it prepared different ways (roasting, steaming, grilled etc.) There's honestly not one veggie I like.

I expect a lot of negativity and a lot of 'just do it'. I do, but I guess I just needed a vent. I keep giving up because I get too frustrated with meal planning and eating. I even went to visit a dietitian and she didn't understand at all. I'm pretty sure she thought I was making it all up.

Anyone else out there deal with this?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Silly question - if you're happy eating soups, why not just eat them? Is it because you get bored? There's no real reason, if you're fine to eat pureed veggie soup, why you shouldn't just keep a big batch on hand and eat that.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Here's one to try...how it will taste to you is a mystery, but to most people it has hardly any taste at all and absorbs flavors from other foods that it's mixed with. Chayote (mexican squash), I actually cube it up and fry it like potatoes
  • hazzaram
    Options
    Silly question - if you're happy eating soups, why not just eat them? Is it because you get bored? There's no real reason, if you're fine to eat pureed veggie soup, why you shouldn't just keep a big batch on hand and eat that.

I do get bored of it. I've been eating a tomato based soup with turkey, squash and sweet potato for days, lol. I still have two bowls left and I just don't want anymore of it.

I also have a hard time fitting two different soups into my calories and macros.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Do you like mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes? I've had whipped carrots, they are very similar to mashed sweet potatoes. Pureed yellow squash, with a pinch of sugar is also very good. Do you like queso? Cooked spinach mixed with queso is yummy. My husband swears that a pinch of brown sugar (or more to your taste) and a little butter makes all veggies better.
  • hazzaram
    Options
    Do you like mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes? I've had whipped carrots, they are very similar to mashed sweet potatoes. Pureed yellow squash, with a pinch of sugar is also very good. Do you like queso? Cooked spinach mixed with queso is yummy. My husband swears that a pinch of brown sugar (or more to your taste) and a little butter makes all veggies better.

Mashed potatoes, yes. Sweet potatoes, no. I've tried squash on it's own and that didn't do much for me. I might try pureeing it with potatoes and see what that gets me. I've tried cauliflower and potatoes and almost died eating that, lol.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options

Agreed. I used to tell myself i wasn't a picky eater at all, but I really am. There are lots of things i don't like/won't eat for various different - cost, texture, bad memory association, smell, taste, convenience, etc, etc.

TL;DR : eat what you want.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    So you have tried a lot of veggies and don't like them. You tried a few ways to sneak a little into your diet that seem successful. Do you really need to eat more than you are already eating? Do you have a health issue that makes it necessary to eat more?
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I read that it can take 15 separate tries to become accustomed to a food, and for supertasters that number is more like 50.

When you work the numbers on what it would take to get to 50 (not a typo...fifty!) tries on a food, it is pretty discouraging, but it can be worth it. If I work at it, I can turn 2-3 foods a year into neutral or positive and this will add up over the course of a lifetime. I tend to work on foods I barely tolerate, vs. the ones that require immense willpower to not immediately spit out.

I would try to find a rotation of different soups/stews and freeze extras so that you always have something easily available if you get tired of one.

Have you tried flavorful sauces like BBQ sauce/soy sauce/gravy/honey mustard/etc.? If I eat a bite of cooked vegetable on the same forkful as a piece of sauced meat it goes down a lot easier.

Honestly, it sounds to me like you are doing great! A green smoothie and a bowl of veggie filled soup daily should get you really close to 5+ servings of veggies!
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I'm a veggie fan overall, although I don't really care for them by their own, I need a well composed recipe to be truly happy. I'm a huge fan of soups. I used to have soup every day for several years. 1 batch of soup will normally be around 5-6 servings, I would often freeze 1 or 2 servings to have ample variation available.

I see that you had concerns with fitting to soups in with your calories and macros. Remember that you can simmer chicken or fish pieces in the soup once blended, or add a chopped boiled egg to the bowl when serving (my favorite with asparagus soup!!).

Many vegetable soups are also marvelous with a base of lentils (red lentil with tomato, carrots and chorizo or green lentil with celery, spinach and kale topped with some bacon).

One do the best soups I've had is this: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1993647/thai-chicken-and-sweet-potato-soup if sweet potato is a NO for you, try it with butternut squash instead. And perhaps omit the coriander unless you know already that it doesn't taste like soap to you (common with super tasters I believe)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Eat soup, but different soups. How does finely chopped vegetables in things you can add lots of spices/flavors/sauce to, like chilis and pasta dishes, work for you? I get in lots of onion, garlic, canned tomatoes, peppers, kale, spinach, squash, even celery, olives and mushrooms, which I thought I hated, doing that. I even took it to the next level with blended soups - most of them call for a root like celeriac or root parsley; and asparagus, artichoke, brussel sprouts, parsnips are in rotation for Sunday dinners. I never dreamed I'd ever eat this many vegetables (amounts AND variety). Proper preparation is crucial.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    hazzaram wrote: »

I do get bored of it. I've been eating a tomato based soup with turkey, squash and sweet potato for days, lol. I still have two bowls left and I just don't want anymore of it.

I also have a hard time fitting two different soups into my calories and macros.

Soup freezes, as do veg stews and purees which you can then add to stews and dishes of your choice..make smaller batches and freeze half

And take a multivitamin just in case

I think perhaps this has gone beyond taste to emotional anxiety and that might need some external help like CBT to get over

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    This is way beyond taste and texture issues. The MFP community is making some good sound suggestions, but there is no getting around the fact that nothing we add or give to OP will be satisfactory.

I believe that there is a serious anxiety disorder going on here and this needs much more than the MFP community can offer.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Look at OP's diary. OP eats pretty well considering this issue. There is still a variety in his diet and even has decent macro distribution. OP is not meeting his calorie allotment though which is 1620 and he is eating around 1350 most days. A couple of days are at 1400-1500+.

Just needs to add another 200+ calories to what he is eating already to meet NET calories.
  • hazzaram
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    So you have tried a lot of veggies and don't like them. You tried a few ways to sneak a little into your diet that seem successful. Do you really need to eat more than you are already eating? Do you have a health issue that makes it necessary to eat more?

I actually don't eat that many and I do think I need more. I have some health issues and I'm supposed to bulk up on the greens and veggies in general. I've been trying to take a green powder to supplement things but I'm not sure if it's really helping.
  • hazzaram
    Options
    I read that it can take 15 separate tries to become accustomed to a food, and for supertasters that number is more like 50.

When you work the numbers on what it would take to get to 50 (not a typo...fifty!) tries on a food, it is pretty discouraging, but it can be worth it. If I work at it, I can turn 2-3 foods a year into neutral or positive and this will add up over the course of a lifetime. I tend to work on foods I barely tolerate, vs. the ones that require immense willpower to not immediately spit out.

I would try to find a rotation of different soups/stews and freeze extras so that you always have something easily available if you get tired of one.

Have you tried flavorful sauces like BBQ sauce/soy sauce/gravy/honey mustard/etc.? If I eat a bite of cooked vegetable on the same forkful as a piece of sauced meat it goes down a lot easier.

Honestly, it sounds to me like you are doing great! A green smoothie and a bowl of veggie filled soup daily should get you really close to 5+ servings of veggies!

Thanks for your encouraging words :) I think I'm going to try your method. Turning 2-3 foods a year into something that I can eat. I realize this is going to be a slow process and I think trying to rush it is what's making me frustrated with things. I'm going to try a roatation of soups/stews and see how I fare with that. I've only ever had soup that had been frozen once and it was pretty grainy/gross. I'm hoping it won't turn out like that lol
  • hazzaram
    Options
    Eat soup, but different soups. How does finely chopped vegetables in things you can add lots of spices/flavors/sauce to, like chilis and pasta dishes, work for you? I get in lots of onion, garlic, canned tomatoes, peppers, kale, spinach, squash, even celery, olives and mushrooms, which I thought I hated, doing that. I even took it to the next level with blended soups - most of them call for a root like celeriac or root parsley; and asparagus, artichoke, brussel sprouts, parsnips are in rotation for Sunday dinners. I never dreamed I'd ever eat this many vegetables (amounts AND variety). Proper preparation is crucial.

I'm usually good with things finely chopped. I've just been slacking on the preparation - which is my fault entirely. I need to stop being lazy and start making things to how I'll eat them. Thank you. I'm going to try and stick with soups/stews and things where veggies are easily hidden :)
  • hazzaram
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    This is way beyond taste and texture issues. The MFP community is making some good sound suggestions, but there is no getting around the fact that nothing we add or give to OP will be satisfactory.

I believe that there is a serious anxiety disorder going on here and this needs much more than the MFP community can offer.

Hi. I realize I do need therapy and it's something I have sought out before. I do have anxiety issues. Normally I'm a pretty positive person. I think I've just been too hard on myself and I've run myself down a little. This thread has helped a lot. The suggestions here are going to help me move forward from here out :)
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    What about salads? I know you said mushy, but you can really do a lot with salads. Vegetable juice. You can make it yourself.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    You can also blend many veggies into a spaghetti sauce and not really notice. Do you have a grater or food processor? It's easy to hide grated veggies in casseroles. Many people enjoy shredded zucchini in oatmeal, search online for "zoats" recipes.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Do you feel like this about vegetables only?