Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Calorie in vs calorie out

So if I need to take in 1576 calories to maintain my weight and Ive set my calorie goal at 1310/day to lose weight that means I already have a 266 calorie deficit without adding in exercise correct? I'm looking to add around 240 calories to my calorie deficit with excercise to have around a 500 calorie deficit a day. Just making sure I'm correct

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Yes, that sounds about right. Just remember that everything is an estimate. Keep up with your logging and see where it takes you.
  • sydneyregan
    sydneyregan Posts: 32 Member
    Yes, that sounds about right. Just remember that everything is an estimate. Keep up with your logging and see where it takes you.

Perfect thankyou! Just making sure I have the right info!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member

But does this mean it is okay not to exercise if you manage the deficit through controlled eating??
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    TonyB0588 wrote: »

But does this mean it is okay not to exercise if you manage the deficit through controlled eating??

I'm not sure what you're asking. If you mean is exercise require to lose weight? No.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    1576 sounds pretty low for maintenance, depending on how active you are. Try it for a while and keep track, see how it's going, and adjust accordingly.
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    You will lose weight on a 250 deficit - but quite slowly. If you add back exercise calories you may be disappointed. If your maintenance intake is only 1500 then I assume you are pretty petite. Don't start on a high calorie limit only to have to reduce it later on, as you get close to your goal.
    I'm starting low, then adding extra protein and carbs as I get closer to the goal. Much more comfortable way of losing weight.
    Good luck.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Vegplotter wrote: »
    You will lose weight on a 250 deficit - but quite slowly. If you add back exercise calories you may be disappointed. If your maintenance intake is only 1500 then I assume you are pretty petite. Don't start on a high calorie limit only to have to reduce it later on, as you get close to your goal.
    I'm starting low, then adding extra protein and carbs as I get closer to the goal. Much more comfortable way of losing weight.
    Good luck.

This is not good sound advice. OP you are working out this process pretty perfectly! :)
  • TonyB0588

MissusMoon wrote: »

I'm not sure what you're asking. If you mean is exercise require to lose weight? No.

MFP recommends a total calorie goal and also an exercise calories suggestion. Many days I eat less than the suggested calorie goal so it is already a deficit. Just wondering if that makes it "okay" not to burn the recommended exercise calories.

I usually try to include some exercise each week but it doesn't always work out. Yes I am losing weight, so perhaps I have no need to feel guilty, but I just wondered what others thought.
  • Vegplotter
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Good luck.

This is not good sound advice. OP you are working out this process pretty perfectly! :)
    Why isn't it good advice? I'd genuinely like your take on starting low then increasing as you near he end of a diet.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Good luck.

Why isn't it good advice? I'd genuinely like your take on starting low then increasing as you near he end of a diet.

I have always tried to eat as much as possible while still losing weight, not as little as possible.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    edited July 2016
    So if I need to take in 1576 calories to maintain my weight and Ive set my calorie goal at 1310/day to lose weight that means I already have a 266 calorie deficit without adding in exercise correct? I'm looking to add around 240 calories to my calorie deficit with excercise to have around a 500 calorie deficit a day. Just making sure I'm correct

if you burn 240 calories a day with exercise, wouldn't that deduct from your deficit?

1576 - 1310 = 266 (deficit)

266 - 240 = 26 (deficit with exercise)
  • Vegplotter
    Good luck.

I have always tried to eat as much as possible while still losing weight, not as little as possible.
    That's one approach, and if you manage, that's great. But don't you end up having to reduce your intake at the end of the diet, in order to keep on losing weight? That means you end up giving your metabolism one hell of a jolt when you bounce back to maintenance.
    If you've 'always' dieted that way consider whether that has been the reason that you've always had to go back to dieting after, I assume, regaining the weight.
    I made the same mistake too. It's taken me a long time to realise my error. This time I'm starting low and increasing calories as I get closer to my target. That way my metabolism should be getting faster, not slower as I go along.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    bcalvanese wrote: »

if you burn 240 calories a day with exercise, wouldn't that deduct from your deficit?

This makes no sense. The proper calculation is below. OP is correct (and in this case you would not eat exercise calories back).

1576-1310=266 (deficit without exercise)
    (1576+240)-1310)=506 (deficit with exercise)

Makes sense to me as an approach.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

This makes no sense. The proper calculation is below. OP is correct (and in this case you would not eat exercise calories back).

isn't the deficit the difference between what you burn and what you eat?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member

Deficit is the amount below burned that one consumes. A greater burn without a change in amount consumed creates a bigger deficit.

If a person eats 2000, and burns 2500 their deficit is 500.

If a person eats 2500 and burns 2000 they have a surplus of 500.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

If you're exercising you're burning EXTRA calories so they should be added to your deficit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I'm just having a hard time believing you maintain on 1500ish calories.
  • TonyB0588
    edited July 2016

No. It is the difference between your goal and what you eat. MFP tells you how much calories you should consume normally, but if you exercise, it increases your Daily Goal for that day. Your deficit is your suggested calories minus what you actually ate, so if your suggested calories get increased by your exercise, and you still eat the same amount, you're left with a bigger deficit.

My numbers from last Saturday:
    Goal 1810 - Food 1806 = Deficit 4
    I exercised so it became
    Goal 1810 + Exercise 443 - Food 1806 = Deficit 447
    or Increased Goal 2253 - Food 1806 = Deficit 447

I've included a screenshot from my MFP page here. You should be seeing this summary at the end of each of your days.

pm5psl73jt7v.png
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    OP where did you get the 1576 number from? Is that the goal that MFP provided you, or somewhere else?

The easiest way to start is just to set up MFP with accurate stats, your goal weight, a reasonable rate of loss (1 lb/week if you have less than 50 lbs to lose) and then it will provide you a target calorie goal with a deficit built in. This is a NEAT goal meaning it doesn't include exercise, so you would lose weight even if you did none. If you do exercise, you should eat back at least some of those calories to avoid having too big of a deficit and losing more lean body mass than necessary. Eat a variety of foods, log them as accurately as possible using a food scale ideally, and be patient.