Been on keto diet 3 weeks down 19lbs

Options

Replies

• Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I have so far (in 4 weeks) only dropped 2kg of water weight on keto. But I generally don't hold much water anyway. From past experience.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Ditto. Join the Low Carber Daily group. They are a great, supportive bunch... and don't think people lose 12-19 lbs of water in three weeks. LOL Maybe 5 lbs was water, but carbs make you retain water, so who cares, right? ;)

I've lost over 30lbs on keto too. For some of us, keto makes weightloss a lot more doable.

Definitely no 14 pounds of fat in 3 weeks.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Ketoacidosis is what happens when ketosis goes too far. Ketones build up in your blood, and it becomes acidic. Ketoacidosis can cause a coma or death.

It's not clear what kind of possible long-term health risks a low-carb diet may pose because most research studies have lasted less than a year. Some health experts believe that if you eat large amounts of fat and protein from animal sources your risk of heart disease or certain cancers may actually increase.

But most studies have found that at 12 or 24 months, the benefits of a low-carb diet are not very large. A 2014 review found that higher protein, low-carbohydrate diets may offer a slight advantage in terms of weight loss and loss of fat mass compared to a normal protein diet. At a year, the difference was only about a pound (about 0.4 kilograms), though, and those who had the greatest benefits stuck to the diet long term.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    1 refeed day brought back 11 lbs water weight ..was that weighing 24 hours apart? @trigden1991

Have to say that supports everything I've ever read about water weight with carb depletion in terms of the average levels of water weight but I did think it took slightly longer to replenish glycogen and water in muscles and liver

Interesting
    When I prepped for contest (keto) and dehydrated down, the day after a contest (and celebratory meal), I weighed sometimes 15lbs more. Crazy, but obviously it can't be anything much more the glycogen and water saturating the cells again.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    19 is great, but I bet most of that is water weight. That's what happens with low carb diets initially.

19pounds of water? I'm betting more like 5-7 of water given that it's been three weeks.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    19 is great, but I bet most of that is water weight. That's what happens with low carb diets initially.

19pounds of water? I'm betting more like 5-7 of water given that it's been three weeks.

1 gram carb = 4 grams water. So yeah, lots of water weight loss initially.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    As already mentioned ketoacidosis is not related to proper low carb eating. Ketoacidosis is a complication seen in type one diabetics, type two diabetics who are insulin dependent, alcoholics, and people who are literally starving. If you are healthy, not on insulin, not an alcoholic, and eating sufficient calories, it's not a concern. CVD is more closely related to inflammation rather than dietary fat or cholesterol intake, and chronically high blood glucose causes inflammation, so if anything, low carb should be protective against CVD. Eating fat from animals is also less inflammatory than most seed and vegetable oils, as those are too high in omega 6 and usually lacking in omega 3, whereas the predominant fats in animal products are monounsaturated fats and saturated fats with are good for you, or at the very least benign. "Some health experts" are married to outdated ideas about animal products, saturated fat, and cholesterol.

Yes, long term, all diets have pretty crappy success rates. People often lose the weight, then go back to their old habits and regain. So it is important to find what works for you that you can stick with for life, and recognize that losing weight is actually the easy part; maintenance requires vigilance. For some the best way may very well be a low carb, high fat diet. I've been eating that way for over three years and have maintained my loss.
  • KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I LOVE KETO!! So many benefits!!
  • pessxx
    pessxx Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • formylover
    formylover Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!! i couldn't get past the sugar withdrawal the last time, i started over today. i hope i will be able to be as dedicated as you!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    You guys seem to ignore this:

It's not clear what kind of possible long-term health risks a low-carb diet may pose because most research studies have lasted less than a year. Some health experts believe that if you eat large amounts of fat and protein from animal sources your risk of heart disease or certain cancers may actually increase.

But most studies have found that at 12 or 24 months, the benefits of a low-carb diet are not very large. A 2014 review found that higher protein, low-carbohydrate diets may offer a slight advantage in terms of weight loss and loss of fat mass compared to a normal protein diet. At a year, the difference was only about a pound (about 0.4 kilograms), though, and those who had the greatest benefits stuck to the diet long term.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    You guys seem to ignore this: ...

For good reason.

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options

I don't care for low carb diets personally, but I'm not going to tell other people how to eat. Lots of people have success with it, just like how people have success with simple CICO.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options

Quit fearmongering, or post your peer-reviewed scientific sources to support the claims you're making.

I don't eat keto, but it's not inherently dangerous so there's no reason to try and scare people away from it.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

LOL I know the long term health consequences of lower fat diets for me. It was weight gain, insulin resistsnce and inflammation that made managing other health issues extremely difficult. Short term keto (1+ year) appears to be giving better results already.
  • formylover
    formylover Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    i don't think any strict restricted diet can be healty on the long term usually it to acheive a goal (health or weight) that people follow one until there goal is reached. let not discuss if it is worth it only the person doing it can say it after the goal is reached but usualy after that people incorporate carb back slowly i don't belive any keto dieter could live on without tasting fruits ever again but i do believe some i willing to deprive themselfs of it a certain time to achieve there wish.

i for exemple have no choice but to eat no carb for a while, i have asthma (and several episodes daily) i once followed a low carb diet for 6 month during which i went from 4 asthma episodes a day, runny nose, etc etc to Zero. i spent the next 6 months asthma free and almost mucus free even allowed myself fruits in the summer and other naturally sugary foods. Then I started eating "c.@p" (when you feel healthy again, cookies have a way to tempt you) and now the whole nightmare is back.

For some reasons very Low carb / keto works for me, is it long term? Not in the strictest sense of the diet but a healthy middle will have to do for me once i stopped my asthma. Low carb is going to be a way of life for me, not much of a choice in that. the alternative is not much of a life (on a mostly vegan diet i had asthma none-stop. So i did not last a month).

But i do believe that if anyone is going for a very restrictive life style long term one might want to keep a medical track of his health just in case. we are not all made the same way when in come to how ower body copes with our lifestyle. So an medical check up is good to show if you life choice is the right one for you now and tomorrow (one never know how ower body and tolerances my change).

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

LOL I know the long term health consequences of lower fat diets for me. It was weight gain, insulin resistsnce and inflammation that made managing other health issues extremely difficult. Short term keto (1+ year) appears to be giving better results already.

That statement isn't any better. You were overeating, the macro composition had nothing to do with that.