Midnight snack: Yesterday's or Today's calories?

Options
Hey everyone,

I have always kind of wondered whenever I would eat a late night snack, which day I should be putting the calories onto. I typically put them on yesterdays since I haven't slept yet, however since it's after midnight part of me says I should be putting them on todays calories.

What do y'all typically do for late night snacks?

Replies

• Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter in the end. For myself, it just makes sense to add it to snacks for the day I am in ... and I log breakfast as the first meal I have after I wake up, no matter what time of day I wake up .... you could label them meal 1, meal 2, meal 3, meal 4 ... etc. if that works better for you.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Personal preference. I log them on whichever day is most convenient for me at the time.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,416 Member
    Options
    I work night shift 3 nights per week so what's easiest for me is breaking my diary down into 6 4hr increments and just logging what I eat when I eat it regardless of day.

Truth is, your body doesn't keep time. As long as it's logged, you're golden.
  • moosekelly
    moosekelly Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I usually do the same thing. If I haven't slept yet, I add it to yesterday.
  • hollyvalli
    hollyvalli Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    moosekelly wrote: »
    I usually do the same thing. If I haven't slept yet, I add it to yesterday.

This.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter which day you add it to as long as you record it.

To be honest if I had the calories left, I would add it to what was technically the previous day's diary, if not I'd add it under Snacks to the new day. I like to see green :#
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,658 Member
    Options
    Mine is complicated :smiley:

It all gets logged in the 8pm to midnight slot till the food is fully logged or the daily caloric goal is reached
    Then.
    IF I had a positive Fitbit adjustment in the new day at the time I came back home, food up to that adjustment gets logged in the new day in the post-midnight meal section.
    Then.
    The remainder, if any goes, becomes an overage in the previous day's 8pm to midnight meal.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I work night shift 3 nights per week so what's easiest for me is breaking my diary down into 6 4hr increments and just logging what I eat when I eat it regardless of day.

Truth is, your body doesn't keep time. As long as it's logged, you're golden.

I work nightshift 5 days a week so this is what I do everyday.
  • beezipper
    beezipper Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I work graveyards as well, and I just count one "awake" period as one day, even though it usually spans two days. I think it doesn't matter what day you log on, as long as it's tracked so you can follow what your progress is.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    if i havent slept yet its always the day before. My day doesnt start until I wake up so regardless of time of day if im still up its that day. We have dinner around 11pm anyway. In the end though it doesnt really matter like others said.