When and how to start including strength

Options
I will have been faithfully following MFP for 4 weeks this coming Monday morning. I think I should start adding in strength training now but I am not sure how to begin. I usually walk for 45min to an hour nearly every day which I built up to over the last 4 weeks. What kind of strength training and how much should I begin with?

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    45 pounds.
    http://stronglifts.com/

\/ \/ \/ go do that. like today. woah!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I suggest looking into the Books starting strength, New Rules of Lifting for women, or Google stronglifts. All 3 are beginner lifting programs that stress compound movements.
  • grantwashere
    grantwashere Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    YESTERDAY is a good time to begin a weight-lifting program. :)

Here's an excellent source of "how-to's"

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
  • PennyHarris123
    PennyHarris123 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I will have been faithfully following MFP for 4 weeks this coming Monday morning. I think I should start adding in strength training now but I am not sure how to begin. I usually walk for 45min to an hour nearly every day which I built up to over the last 4 weeks. What kind of strength training and how much should I begin with?
    straight away! I plateaued for 5 months even though I was keeping really fit with cardio, probably 6 times a week and within cals etc....as soon as I started weight training it jump started weight loss and its' making a huge difference within 7 weeks. Go for it. yeah new rules and stronglifts are meant to be good. If you join a gym ask advise of a programme. I'm doing bodybuilding.coms all pro beginners workout which is great but I do add my own ones in. Read up on it, loads of advise here. The eat, train, progress group should be a good one for you.
    DO IT!!! you won't regret it
  • emilycarr71404
    emilycarr71404 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Wow, I feel behind already!
  • ernestbecker
    ernestbecker Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    yep, now.
  • ernestbecker
    ernestbecker Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    One other comment: don't bother if you don't plan on drastically changing your diet. It won't help you achieve your goal if the goal is to lose weight. Losing weight is done in the kitchen, not the gym.