New to toning workouts - should I keep doing the same ones

Options
fr33sia12
fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
I'm currently doing great with my weight loss and do cardio most days (mainly just walking) but have started doing more toning workouts at home using You Tube videos (I don't have access to the gym or any equipment other than dumbbells and a mat) I have a routine set up, but I'm wanting to know should I keep doing the same routines for weeks/months and at what stage should I introduce other routines? should I just add a few more routines or swap for current routines. I'm basically a newbie to this and want to do it right. If you have links to good info on this please add too.

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I would recommend if these are total body workouts to do them 3 days a week and not back to back. Muscles need time to repair and grow so you should give them at least 24-48 hours. Cardio on the days you don't do resistance training. There are plenty of free resources out there that only use body weight or minimal equipment (fitnessblender and bodybuilding.com).
  • fr33sia12
    Options
    Thanks, I am doing light workouts to begin with and intend to get heavier dumbbells after while.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What's your goal?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest that if you like what you're doing, do the same one for a few weeks. This will help you get accustomed to working out . You'll know when it's time to switch things up.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    When it gets easy it's time to find something more challenging. You'll burn less calories doing a routine that isn't a challenge and you won't see other benefits from it, either. Up weights, do a workout with harder moves, whatever, but keep your workouts hard enough that your pushing your body.
  • fr33sia12
    Options
    Thanks everyone, that's really helpful information. I'll keep doing what I'm doing and change it up when it starts getting too easy to do.

@Sued0nim my goal is to keep losing weight, tone up and get more definition in my body. I don't want to bulk up, or be super skinny or anything though. Luckily weight doesn't pile on my arms and legs so I just want to tone those up and also work on my abs try get a flatter stomach.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, that's really helpful information. I'll keep doing what I'm doing and change it up when it starts getting too easy to do.

@Sued0nim my goal is to keep losing weight, tone up and get more definition in my body. I don't want to bulk up, or be super skinny or anything though. Luckily weight doesn't pile on my arms and legs so I just want to tone those up and also work on my abs try get a flatter stomach.

So eat at a small defecit and follow a decent progressive resistance programme

You aren't going to "bulk" without excess calories and significant commitment to training

Based on your OP and stage of fitness I'd look at a decent home bodyweight programme like

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/