Serious carb problems

Options
2»

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I try to get enough protein and fat and if the carbs or low or high for the day, I do not worry.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I have no physical reason to limit carbs, so I don't. I eat approximately 150-200 g. of carbs each day. It has not impeded my weight loss.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I have no physical reason to limit carbs, so I don't. I eat approximately 150-200 g. of carbs each day. It has not impeded my weight loss.

Ditto.

At the end of the day, it just needs to be sustainable for you. Low carb is not sustainable for me, I just have to make smarter choices about what kind of carbs I want to eat every day.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    LPflaum wrote: »
    If you're within your calorie intake, they are fine. However, they are my arch nemesis and consistently cause me to either completely blow my calories for the day, or end up at a point where I can only eat a salad for dinner. I have found that I can eat a lot more food and stay a lot more full if I avoid them altogether. I Got this advice from a friend and have found its the easiest way to avoid them:

If it's white, don't eat it. Rice, potatoes, bread, pizza crust, doesn't matter... just don't eat it.

Taking dietary decisions based on color... SMH.
  • szkodzt
    szkodzt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I understand what you mean - I have been this way in the past. I couldn't stop myself from snacking on a ton of pretzels, chips, goldfish crackers, etc - especially at night! Also sweets! I had to have a piece of chocolate (or two!) after each meal!

For the past two months I have been concentrating on my protein. Not cutting out carbs, but making sure I hit my protein goal. And guess what?!? I no longer crave those snacks and sweets! I feel like a new person because I don't even have a desire to eat a cracker with my cheese - the cheese is enough!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    When I get sufficient protein, I don't crave or overeat carbs. 40% carbs, 30% fat, and 30% protein is my sweet spot and I take a look at every meal and snack to make sure it has enough protein. Carbs make me sleepy so I have higher carbs foods as a bedtime snack.

I have plenty of vegan friends who eat way more carbs than I do and have no weight issues. They are getting a lot of carbs from legumes, however, not Oreos. And from potatoes. Nothing wrong with potatoes. In fact, studies show potatoes are a very satiating food.

http://www.mendosa.com/satiety.htm

Susanna Holt, PhD, has developed the Satiety Index, a system to measure different foods' ability to satisfy hunger. A fixed amount (240 calories) of different foods was fed to participants who then ranked their feelings of hunger every fifteen minutes and were allowed to eat freely for the next two hours. Of all the foods tested, potatoes were the most satisfying.
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    So I am on day two and I am making sure I stay within my calorie intake but carbs is my enemy, I like healthy food but always find carbs are making there way in anyone have any tips to reduce them or are they ok if I stay within my calorie intake? I have over 100lbs to lose and don't want to fail

I've lost 84 pounds so far while eating carbs and bread. I do make most sandwiches open faced with only one slice of bread but that is so I can save on calories. If you plan to eat carbs after losing 100lbs, you'll want to continue eating them while losing weight. Weighing my foods on my kitchen scale and staying within my calorie allowance is what has worked for me.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What kind of carbs are you finding difficult?

Cakes and pastries? It's the highly palatable sweet mix with fats ...

Chips? It's the savoury and the mix with fats

You see carbs on their own, like in many veg, it's not easy to overeat...it's when we mix them with other ingredients that they become mindless and highly palatable

That's why low carb works so well, it makes you remove highly palatable foods

I think one of the tricks is to find new palatable foods as your go to that work in your calories

I don't cut carbs but I do focus on protein minimums

Is this about mindless eating? Is it about