Protein bars

Options
snehad123
snehad123 Posts: 119 Member
Hi all,
does anyone have protein bars if you r losing weight? Also, which brand would you recommend?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I had protein bars sometimes when I was losing weight, especially when I was on the road for work. I like the Clif Builder bars, especially the chocolate hazelnut.
  • kgridder
    kgridder Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been using IdealBar Double Chocolate from IdealShape. They taste pretty good and they really curb your appetite. I can't find them in stores, just online at their website. Also doing the protein shapes. They seem to be working for me. Taste and price seem to be pretty good overall. I haven't tried any other flavors, but the Chocolate Cream Pie shake is good too.
  • cwgrant67
    cwgrant67 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I buy from a website called mydietshopz.com They have a good selection of high protein low carb bars, shakes, oatmeal. I mainly use them
    as an emergency ration.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Power Crunch salted caramel is my current favorite.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I have them to bump up protein when I need it. I go for the Pure Protein brand from Costco. For me, it's the best protein:calorie:price ratio (chocolate deluxe is 21 protein for 180 calories [50 gram bar] $1.16 per bar [buy 6 pack box]).
  • skydiveD30571
    skydiveD30571 Posts: 281 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I have them to bump up protein when I need it. I go for the Pure Protein brand from Costco. For me, it's the best protein:calorie:price ratio (chocolate deluxe is 21 protein for 180 calories [50 gram bar] $1.16 per bar [buy 6 pack box]).

I think they are the best tasting too (chewy chocolate chip and chocolate deluxe are my favorite). I saw an 18 pack at Costco last week for $17 ($0.94 a bar).
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Side note: Protein powder is about 1/2 the cost. And about 1/3 less calories.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options

Yes, it's cost effective, but some people can't handle the powder or don't want to buy so much of something they don't know if they will like. I was able to sample a few at Popeye's Supplements. I drank it for a few weeks and ended up with random bleeding after I drank it.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I like all of the Quest Chocolate flavor bars.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Yes, it's cost effective, but some people can't handle the powder or don't want to buy so much of something they don't know if they will like. I was able to sample a few at Popeye's Supplements. I drank it for a few weeks and ended up with random bleeding after I drank it.

Plus protein bars fit in my purse easily and some of them taste like candy.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I eat a protein bar almost every day for breakfast. I have a tendency to stick to brands that have only a few grams of sugar, at least 15 grams of protein and are around 200 calories. I'm not a huge fan of the fake "chocolate" coated bars or chocolate in general so be forewarned that it's going to skew my preferences. :smile:

Atkins has some great flavors in particular the Peanut Butter Granola and the chocolate peanut butter pretzel. They have a new line called Lift that are really good. Salted caramel is great and the others are also good.

Costco now has their own Kirkland brand. The box has only brownie and chocolate chip cookie dough flavors but they are still pretty good and aren't "chocolate" coated. I'll buy that over the Pure Protein they sell because I don't like the flavors or the fact that they're all around 300 calories which is more than I really want to eat in the morning.

I love the PowerCrunch bars. The texture is sublime even if they are a little messy to eat. The salted caramel is amazing but all of the other flavors are really good, too. They're on the high end of my sugar preference and the low end for protein but the texture and flavor keeps me buying them.

Think Thin bars are pretty good. The "chocolate" coated peanut butter is tasty which is saying something coming from me. The texture and flavor of the peanut butter filling is probably what won me over.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I use Pure Protein bars which maintain a ratio about 40% protein, 40% carb and 20% fat, which is a very good weight loss macro.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I also like the Power Crunch Bars. They only have 10 carbs, which is rare. Love the wafer texture and the peanut butter fudge flavor.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I like the Oh Yeah One birthday cake bars as a quick breakfast option sometimes. The ThinkThin peanut butter protein bars are cheaper, though, and are actually quite good. I also like some of the cookie dough protein bars from Aldi...I keep a couple of those in my desk at work if I want a light lunch.
  • alesperon
    alesperon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I been eating healthy and balanced for 4 months now and lost a lot of weight. At the beginning I was kind of scared of incorporate protein bars in my diet because there are so many out there that kinda taste chewy and are
    not well balanced.
    After a while of keeping my sugar low I was craving for some "dessert cheat meal" kind of flavor so decided to give these protein bars a try. I did some research and tried the MP Combat protein bars. I just love them! They are really well balanced, high in protein, low in carbs (in comparison to other brands) gluten free, low in sugar, high in fiber and still taste delicious since the texture is not as chewy as others I have tried before.
    My favorites are Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups White chocolate raspberry and cinammon twist! I really recommend them!

• JC77721
    JC77721 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, it is a good idea to eat some extra protein if you are thinking about losing weight. I can't recommend you any protein bars (I don't like them) but just remember that there are many other good sources of protein! If you go back to the nutrition section, there is a thread in which some us discussed good protein sources, some of them: 0% (or skim) milk, shrimp, chicken breast, whey protein powder, low fat cheese, eggs (although high in fats, good fats!), and greek yogurt
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I like the Oh Yeah One birthday cake bars as a quick breakfast option sometimes. The ThinkThin peanut butter protein bars are cheaper, though, and are actually quite good. I also like some of the cookie dough protein bars from Aldi...I keep a couple of those in my desk at work if I want a light lunch.

I like ThinkThin bars too (though not y favorite by any means) and think they get a pretty bad rap among the bar critics.

Yeah, they aren't my absolute favorite either, but I like the peanut butter ones better than any other peanut butter bars I've tried. The person who recommended them to me said he almost didn't try them at first because of the bad rap. Well, that and he figured with a name like ThinkThin, they would be awful.

Personally not a fan of Quest bars though.
  • Hoohoohaa
    Hoohoohaa Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I like the Mission 1 bars. It's in the macro distribution I want, also has a high amount of fiber, and is comparably priced.