Need a Little Advice

How many times should you be weighing yourself and how often should you be updating your weight on MFP.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    This is mostly personal preference. I would say no more than once a day (first thing in the morning after you visit the bathroom and before you eat anything) and no less than once a month (under similar conditions), but even that's negotiable as long as you and the scale have a happy relationship.
  • taunto_
    taunto_ Posts: 91 Member
    Its a personal preference really. I like to weigh myself once a week but there has been times when I weighed myself after like 3 months and had a nice big 12 lbs. loss which was nice.

I personally prefer to ditch the scale. My clothes fitting better, my workouts getting vigorous and me feeling good and being able to move around easier is far more superior feeling to scale. Mainly because when you are working out and eating right, your aim is to lose fat vs. muscle and the scale doesn't do that justice.

May I recommend using measurements rather than simply weighing scale?
  • carine0502
    carine0502 Posts: 14 Member
    Hi normally weigh myself every morning but don't panic if I forget. After a big evening meal I skip the scale so I don't get "sad" for nothing the next morning.
  • Dannyeg5
    Dannyeg5 Posts: 27 Member
    This is mostly personal preference. I would say no more than once a day (first thing in the morning after you visit the bathroom and before you eat anything)

Yeah, I agree with this. I measure it once a week but it's entirely up to you. I never try to set too much store by it though. Your weight can fluctuate a lot. Especially if you are measuring daily.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    I weigh myself once a day, just before I start to consume food or drink for the day. Sometimes that's right after I wake up, sometimes that's just before lunch, and sometimes it's in the afternoon. I eat late into the night usually so I don't like weighing as soon as I wake up because I'm still digesting and full of food weight.

I always update it on MFP when I weigh for the graphing feature, but I know a lot of people only log it when they lose weight as well. it's really up to you!
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    I'm scared of becoming obsessed with the scale so my preference is once per week. I am looking forward to the day my clothes feel looser. That is more important to me then the scale
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    It really depends on your relationship with the scale and the number you see on it. I weigh myself daily and enter it daily. I have the announcement turned off so my MFP friends don't have to see the small daily fluctuations in their news feed and the bouncing around doesn't bother me. Some people are affected negatively with any upward swing on the scale and they'd be better served by weekly, bi-weekly or monthly measurements.

I'd also suggest using a tape measure and recording your waist, hip, thigh, etc. measurements monthly. Sometimes when the scale isn't moving the tape measure is.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    I weigh every day ( use a bluetooth scale that captures trends in weight) and log the weight on the 7th day of the week (for me that is Sat) day in MFP. Once a month I take measurements, photos