Calorie goal question

Options
I'm not at maintenance, but I want advice from those who have been there and succeeded--you! I'm 5'6 and currently weigh 163. I started at 220 last October. I'd like to lose another 15-20 pounds and I'd like advice on where to set my calorie goal. Currently it is at 1280 and it has been working well, but I've also read a lot of people saying that the last 10 pounds can be really difficult and it is good to have some room to lower calories. My main exercise is walking, 2-5 miles a day at a fast pace, but I do some work with weights, too. (Not heavy lifting-just what I can do at home with my home gym.)

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I kept my goal on MFP at "lose 1 pound per week" all the way up to my goal weight, and ate whatever calories MFP gave me.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    As you get smaller, your body naturally burns less calories. So if you eat at the # eventually the deficit decreases as does your rate of loss. For me the last 10 pounds was no more difficult than the first 10. Maybe easier as I started/stopped on the first 10 many times before my 'aha' moment!

When you get within 5-10 pounds of your goal, increase your calories per day by 100-200. Give it 6-8 weeks, and then increase again by 100-200 per day. Eventually you'll reach the point that you're no longer losing and will have found your maintenance point.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    What does "working well" actually mean in terms of rate of recent weight loss?
    That's a good guide to what your current maintenance level at today's weight would be.

The last 10lbs were exactly the same as any previous 10lbs for me - calorie deficit and time, nothing special at all.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,847 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    What does "working well" actually mean in terms of rate of recent weight loss?
    That's a good guide to what your current maintenance level at today's weight would be.

The last 10lbs were exactly the same as any previous 10lbs for me - calorie deficit and time, nothing special at all.

+1.
  • Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I don't think weight loss is any harder towards the end, I think it's more to do with running out of will power which is why some people benefit from slowing down or taking a break