Spin class during recovery from fractured/sprained ankle

So, long story short as possible: I fractured/sprained my ankle playing tennis 4 weeks ago, was on crutches for 2 weeks, then started physical therapy 2 weeks ago. At my last PT visit, therapist told me still no running, but I can do other activity as tolerated pain-wise. I still have what I consider significant swelling (my foot will only fit in sneakers, not "regular" shoes). I'm anxious to get back to doing cardio other than walking and elliptical.

OK, on to my question. I've never done a spin class before, but a local studio is advertising first class free. Has anyone done a boutique spin class before and if so, how much do you use your ankles and what is the impact like? Would this be something I could do while recovering before I can start running again?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    For years now, I spin 2 or 3 times a week. I ripped three ligaments in my foot in December, was casted, and then in a boot. Physical therapy kicked in around week 6 but I wasn't allowed to spin until much later - and not with a clip in cleat, just a little bit of pedaling on a stationary bike. And that went on for quite a while ....

If and when you DO spin, don't stand for the hills. Standing is hard on the ankle.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Ask your PT. I have similar story to the one above. Clipping and out on a bike can be exactly what your healing ankle DOESN'T need. Don't stand on the pedals if you do decide to do it anyway.
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    For years now, I spin 2 or 3 times a week. I ripped three ligaments in my foot in December, was casted, and then in a boot. Physical therapy kicked in around week 6 but I wasn't allowed to spin until much later - and not with a clip in cleat, just a little bit of pedaling on a stationary bike. And that went on for quite a while ....

If and when you DO spin, don't stand for the hills. Standing is hard on the ankle.

Thanks for the response! Will probably postpone spin class for at least a couple more weeks. My ankle is still pretty weak and I have to wear a brace.
  • acbraswell
    solieco1 wrote: »
    Ask your PT. I have similar story to the one above. Clipping and out on a bike can be exactly what your healing ankle DOESN'T need. Don't stand on the pedals if you do decide to do it anyway.

Thanks! I didn't realize standing on the pedals was a thing...
  • MostlyWater
    Unclipping my foot, the first time, before I was really ready to, was so excruciating painful, that I really could not believe it.
  • acbraswell
    Thanks for the responses. Doesn't sound like I'm quite ready for spinning yet! This recovery sucks!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Check with your PT but it doesn't sound like your ankle is ready for a spin class. Do you have access to a stationary bike? That would be a better place to start for short periods of time with little resistance, and then gradually work your way up. I didn't even attempt a spin class until I could go at least 45 minutes on the stationary bike with a decent amount of resistance.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,996 Member
    There's a big difference between a fracture and a sprain.

I've had 2 foot surgeries -- 1 broken ankle and one toe reconstruction. The recovery for both -- where I could walk w/o a crutch, cane, cast or boot -- took a minimum of 6 months and neither wasn't completely healed (where I could put weight/stress on the foot w/o concern) for 9-12 months.

So, OP, if you actually fractured (as in broke) your ankle, my guess is that you'd need to stay away from any spin biking or anything that requires foot/leg strength. Your body will tell you when you can start doing such things again. Just be aware that starting again too early can cause a re-injury and/or significantly delay your recovery.

Good luck!
  • MostlyWater
    Oh, and another thing, if it hurts to unclip, you can take your foot out of the shoe, then unclip the shoe with your hands. It's actually a little bit wacky to do so, but it worked for me for a couple of months. That way I could spin properly but not hurt myself. Do it backwards if you need to, to clip in. You'll get used to it!

Alternatively, depending on your cleats, you can raise that foot almost like going en pointe, then just twist off the top part of the foot to unclip. I did that after I was better.

Now, I can do everything. But I'm still aware !!!
  • Bocch
    Bocch Posts: 191 Member
    I would like to add, to not use a "big gear" or high resistance. SPIN! Spin using an easy gear.