Shoulder pain and running

Options
fjrandol
fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
I'm dealing with an unspecified shoulder injury - complication of arthritis, rotator cuff issues, muscle pain, and who knows what else. They've done an MRI but I have yet to find out the results.

In the meantime, my cardio is suffering, as running seriously exacerbates the pain, and even walking has become difficult due to the impact from moving my arm.

Would spin class be a better alternative while dealing with my shoulder issue? Any other suggestions? I don't want to completely lose all benefits from cardio.

Replies

• AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    In the exact same situation. I love running but haven't gone in the past 3 weeks due to a back and shoulders blade pain. Ct scan revealed multilevel Osteoarthritis but nothing crazy. I've had to put my running on the back burner unfortunately. I plan to start swimming laps at the pool.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,367 Member
    Options
    spin class might aggravate the problem more - you put a lot of pressure on the shoulder because of the forward lean in sitting on a bike (you could check by sitting on an exercise bike and see).

the elliptical could work if you can balance w/o using your arms, same for a cross-trainer like the ARC machines.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Could you do stairs?
    Your arms just stay holding the hand grips, makes u sweat a lot.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Rather than a spinning class do you have access to a recumbent stationary bike? That position makes your movement almost all legs while your arms are at your sides.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    spin class might aggravate the problem more - you put a lot of pressure on the shoulder because of the forward lean in sitting on a bike (you could check by sitting on an exercise bike and see).

the elliptical could work if you can balance w/o using your arms, same for a cross-trainer like the ARC machines.

If your bike is set up properly and you are in the proper position (shoulders down, elbows very slightly bent) with your hands on the hoods you actually apply very little pressure to your shoulders. You're holding the handlebar not leaning on it.