Macros?

Options
I'm sure it's on here somewhere, as to what "Macros" are and how they are figured, however I do better with peer explanation. Can anyone walk me through what Macros are, and how I figure them out?

Thanks!

Replies

• nickisa28
    nickisa28 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I worked mine out using the calculator on this website- iifym.com. My friend suggested mine for me saying I should aim for the same as we're the same height and about the same weight but I was really struggling to hit my protein goals. I think hers a higher as she's a personal trainer and I don't think I need S much protein as her. The calculator on that website gave me a new, much more realistic and manageable goal. It will also explain what Macros are and why they are important x
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Macros = protein, carbs, fat

Protein = 4 cal/gram
    Carbs = 4 cal/gram
    Fat = 9 cal/gram

Protein and fat are essential macronutrients and there are mimimums you want to hit, carbs are discretionary and non essential

Protein minimum = 1 gram per lb lbm (or just 0.8 gram/lb total bodymass if you don't know your bf%)
    Fat minimum = 0.4 grams per lb bodyweight

Any calories you have remaining can go to carbs or any other combination of macronutrients you want.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Macros = protein, carbs, fat

Protein = 4 cal/gram
    Carbs = 4 cal/gram
    Fat = 9 cal/gram

Protein and fat are essential macronutrients and there are mimimums you want to hit, carbs are discretionary and non essential

Protein minimum = 1 gram per lb lbm (or just 0.8 gram/lb total bodymass if you don't know your bf%)
    Fat minimum = 0.4 grams per lb bodyweight

Any calories you have remaining can go to carbs or any other combination of macronutrients you want.

Exactly.

"Macros" is just shorthand for "macronutrients" as opposed to "micronutrients" which are vitamins and minerals.