Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Can stress/anxiety mess with my blood glucose despite low carb and exercise?

wisdomfromyou
wisdomfromyou Posts: 198 Member
edited July 2016 in Debate Club
As I mentioned here before, both of my parents are diabetic (well...one is actually more like pre-diabetic but very close to diabetes). At 43, I am not diagnosed with either diabetes or pre-diabetes... but based on my home glucose meters, I am terrified that I may have to add "yet" to this statement at some point.

My lab-tested FBG (fasting blood glucose), as ordered by my GP during annual physical, have been in the 80's over the past two years and the A1C was 5.4 last year. Thing is when I tested last year I had just lost quite a bit of weight over the previous 6 months (30 lbs) and was about 20 lbs lighter than I am right now (I put weight back on due to work-related pressures this past year).

I have been through a few particularly stressful days over the past couple of weeks ...and I seem to see less-than-encouraging FBG values in the morning; this despite eating well (low carb), exercising and having gone 10 lbs back down in the past 2 months.
The FBG constantly hovers in the mid to upper 90's - and these are not exactly reassuring values for a non-diabetic or non-pre-diabetic, particularly one who's now doing everything right. I certainly would like to see them lower, even if they are still considered "within normal" from the medical establishment's standpoint.

Is it really true that the ongoing stress/anxiety may cause somewhat elevated FBG-s (I mean, elevated for a non-diabetic/non-pre-diabetic who exercises and eats low carb.
The ongoing stress is related both to work and another health problem for which I need to rule out something sinister - though while I am waiting for the results, dr. says it is very unlikely.
I still stress out like crazy because I am naturally a highly anxious person.

My question is: what gives? Is it the cortisol that is raising my blood sugar?
If yes, how long will it take to see "kinder" values if I manage to come out unscathed from this stressful period?

Thank you for any information or reassurance you can provide.

Replies

• mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    A FBG of 90 is still in normal range. Worry when it's not.

You're doing everything within your power to reduce your risk for diabetes. Your genetics are completely out of your control, and you're going to have to let go of that.

Keep your weight in normal range with regular exercise and that's it. Cortisol is known to raise BG among other problems in the body, so all the more reason to try to stop stressing over it.
  • wisdomfromyou
    Thank you.
    I hope it is just the cortisol because until a couple of weeks ago I was still getting fbg-s in the low to mid 80s. I couldn't have slided towards pre-diabetes in just a couple of weeks, Im thinking...

I just wonder when will this "cortisol thing" go away.
    I'm trying to do abdominal breathing besides exercise....but I guess it will take some time.
  • LokiGrrl
    LokiGrrl Posts: 156 Member
    I'm also a highly anxious person with a diabetic father. I am a worrier about everything. Worry, worry, worry. People say, "Don't worry so much!" like I have a switch I can turn off. I have a hard time even relaxing my shoulder and jaw muscles because I'm just tightly wound.

I know a lot of relaxation/meditation techniques. When I'm in full-blown panic they do nothing, so I try not to let it get that far (if it does, I have pills, which are almost a talisman; sometimes just looking at the bottle will calm me right down, other times I have to actually take one). You can PM me if you want me to tell you about some of them (the techniques, not the pills).

Yoga helps me tremendously. I am a total beginner, so it hurts and I look like a fool, but at the end of the video I do (on Amazon Prime), I am able to relax every muscle in my body and for about 2 hours I am almost high from being so relaxed and unworried.

Another thing that helps me is coloring. I know, I know, many people think it's childish, but it's intricate and detailed enough that I have to focus on it to the exclusion of all else, and at the end I have something pretty (I really like pretty things). I color classic car pics for my dad and abstract flowers and animals for the lady I take care of, and I love to do steampunk and fantasy pictures for me. Right now I'm doing two mermaids as if they were my roommate and me. We'll put it on the fridge. :wink: The same is true of crochet and a couple of other pastimes. When I get bored with one, I go to another. I don't know if this would help you or not. I'm a little weird. LOL.

The poster above is right, though. Ninety is a normal level and I offer formal reassurance. I know nothing about cortisol, but I hope your situation and your anxiety get better.
  • grannynot
    grannynot Posts: 146 Member
    I'm sorry - but it appears your stress in THIS case is self-induced. I don't understand why you would be regularly checking your blood sugar levels when you're NOT diabetic or even pre-diabetic (you sound perfectly healthy in that regard); and clearly you're stressing about it. As Lokigrrl says, you need to focus on relaxation/meditation techniques, or perhaps see your Doctor about taking the OCD down a notch, (especially if you can't wean yourself from the stress-inducing habit of checking your blood sugar levels)? It sounds like you're doing a good job of NOT going down the path towards diabetes by eating healthy and exercising - but stress isn't good for you, either. And stress can manifest itself in your body in all sorts of crazy ways - which sometimes leads to more stress....

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    First, 90's is fine and you shouldn't be concerned... in fact, you sound paranoid. Calm down!

Second, there are dozens of things that can affect BG, and stress is one of those things. It doesn't sound like there is any evidence that stress is affecting your BG in a way that will cause any harm whatsoever, whether short-term or long-term. So stop stressing about the effects of stress on your BG.
  • wisdomfromyou
    Thank you all for the replies.

I have been trying to relax more but it is very hard to feel safe with 2 diabetic parents and information all over the Internet that says chances for developing the disease with 2 diabetic parents are 1 in 2 if not much more (I just don't remember exactly).

I am also not sure whether some sites are just driven by incorrect health zealotry or they really are onto something, because many argue the medical establishment is very lax and even harmful when they reassure people that regular fasting blood sugars in the 90's are just fine.
    These sites say they aren't (even if drs. qualify them as "within normal range") and that normal should be set at 87 or below (some say 85).

I just wish I could see regular FBG-s in the 80's but I don't seem to be able to pull it off.
    In the past few weeks I have exercised virtually every day and have even been taking measures to take lots of steps throughout the day (trying to reach the 10,000) - but my FBG is still in the mid 90's.
    You would think it would have gone down by now with all the guidelines that parrot "eat well and exercise to reduce your FBG".

I am just starting to think that unless we are simply removed from all refined carbs, in serious motion all day long, and with many spurts of vigorous physical activity throughout the day (sweat, out of breath and all) - many of us are doomed. This is apparently the lifestyle humans evolved for and which modern life altered - so I would not be shocked if those sites were right and the medical establishment was wrong.

Unless you are a very lucky, highly insulin-sensitive person who can take all the assaults of modern life and still have low blood glucose - it is possible that many us MUST somehow try to live the peasant life in the 21st century OR ELSE.
    My mom has a friend who is clearly obese, eats desserts and all sorts of no-no foods with a vengeance, and her FBG is regularly in the 70's. Surreal.

I am having an annual physical on Monday and I am bracing myself for the A1c.

Thank you all again for your encouragements.
    Psychologically, you are certainly much more helpful than all those sites who yell "must be 85 or below! - otherwise, be afraid". Because that's what they sound like to me. :-(

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    @wisdomfromyou I have been off of refined carbs for about two years and eating under 50 grams of whole carbs daily yet my Fasting Blood Glucose level can be over 100. In fact it ranges from 90 to 118. Mine often goes down after I eat breakfast and stays lower all day. The higher FBG levels can be common for many of us.

Carbs are NOT the only factor for most humans when it comes to blood glucose control but is one way some reverse/prevent Type 2 diabetes. A 20 year old jock may have a FBG level of 85. At 65 going that low is not a goal of mine unless I develop cancer.

Some of the literature seems to indicate STRESS can lead to a premature death so how we handle stress is important.

If one can keep his or her health markers improving year over year I think is the most important goal. The body has many tricks to keep FBG around 100 come hell or high water.
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    I appreciate the vigor with which you're looking after your blood sugars, but I fear you're increasing your own anxiety by checking so often. Most of us (non-diabetic) generally have fasting blood sugar checked annually or perhaps semi-annually. I'm unclear as to why you're looking so regularly unless your doctor has advised you to do so. I wish you well with your doctor appointment on Monday and hope you get some reassurance that you're doing everything correctly so you can feel more comfortable.
  • wisdomfromyou
    andeey wrote: »
    I appreciate the vigor with which you're looking after your blood sugars, but I fear you're increasing your own anxiety by checking so often. Most of us (non-diabetic) generally have fasting blood sugar checked annually or perhaps semi-annually. I'm unclear as to why you're looking so regularly unless your doctor has advised you to do so. I wish you well with your doctor appointment on Monday and hope you get some reassurance that you're doing everything correctly so you can feel more comfortable.

Hi anddey,

The only reason I am doing it more often (just for a while) is because I am trying to learn where my body stands and how it works - and to see what I can do long term to prevent following in the steps of my parents.

I wanted to see whether there is anything in particular (exercise, avoiding specific foods) that can work to get my regular FBG under 90.
    Reading so many sites that say over 90 is not exactly good and could predict a diagnosis a decade down the road - is alarming to me.

Technically, based on my doctor's tests over the past two years (two lab-tested FBG values in the 80's, and one a1c test at 5.4) - I am FINE. Neither pre- nor diabetic - right now.
    Trouble is when the dr. tested me I was during one of my "good periods" - had lost significant weight over the previous months and was exercising quite a bit.

But later, life got in the way and I was pretty much forced to switch to bad habits again (sedentarism due to work pressures, eating less than "nice", etc). With the aid of my home meter I noticed that during such periods, it's not like my body does not react. The FBG-s values DO go up.

Never mind the spikes after a more "ofensive" meal. For example, a few days ago my family insisted we order pizza, so I went along with it and had one single darn slice.
    I tested the post-prandial blood glucose at 1 h and 2 hours. At 1, it was at 130-140 (borderline not OK) and at 2 it was still around 120. Also borderline not OK.
    From one single pathetic slice of pizza?

And I can certainly be much more offensive with the food, if I am not "tight" and let myself to my own devices.
    I wonder what the BG does THEN?

If I was to summarize "why I am testing" even though my dr. did not tell me to - is because I am a prevention nut as I deal extremely poorly with even being suspected of anything, let alone getting an actual diagnosis.

Yes, I do have major anxiety issues and I am trying to work on it but I am afraid this is not something easily addressed.
    Prevention efforts and good test values are the only things that seem to work (some) to reduce my stress/anxiety/fear of illness.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member

I have been trying to relax more but it is very hard to feel safe with 2 diabetic parents and information all over the Internet that says chances for developing the disease with 2 diabetic parents are 1 in 2 if not much more (I just don't remember exactly).

I am also not sure whether some sites are just driven by incorrect health zealotry or they really are onto something, because many argue the medical establishment is very lax and even harmful when they reassure people that regular fasting blood sugars in the 90's are just fine.
    These sites say they aren't (even if drs. qualify them as "within normal range") and that normal should be set at 87 or below (some say 85).

I just wish I could see regular FBG-s in the 80's but I don't seem to be able to pull it off.
    In the past few weeks I have exercised virtually every day and have even been taking measures to take lots of steps throughout the day (trying to reach the 10,000) - but my FBG is still in the mid 90's.
    You would think it would have gone down by now with all the guidelines that parrot "eat well and exercise to reduce your FBG".

I am just starting to think that unless we are simply removed from all refined carbs, in serious motion all day long, and with many spurts of vigorous physical activity throughout the day (sweat, out of breath and all) - many of us are doomed. This is apparently the lifestyle humans evolved for and which modern life altered - so I would not be shocked if those sites were right and the medical establishment was wrong.

Unless you are a very lucky, highly insulin-sensitive person who can take all the assaults of modern life and still have low blood glucose - it is possible that many us MUST somehow try to live the peasant life in the 21st century OR ELSE.
    My mom has a friend who is clearly obese, eats desserts and all sorts of no-no foods with a vengeance, and her FBG is regularly in the 70's. Surreal.

Psychologically, you are certainly much more helpful than all those sites who yell "must be 85 or below! - otherwise, be afraid". Because that's what they sound like to me. :-(

Yes, fasting BG's in the 90's are just fine. In fact, a fasting BG test is pretty worthless beyond being used as an initial indicator. Complications from diabetes begin when BG's are consistently around 140's or higher. Based on your A1C's, you are not staying in the 140's or higher for more than 1-2 hours post-meal. There is no medical difference between 80's and 90's on average. Also, consider that meters have variability. You could test in the 80's on a meter and test in the 90's on a different home meter with the same drop of blood.
  • Laurie6578
    Laurie6578 Posts: 154 Member
    Managing stress is one of my biggest battles in losing weight. I am not diabetic either but was probably on the path to pre. I consistently monitor my blood glucose (several times a day) and after certain foods to see the effect on my BG.) For me it is a learning process. I am 54 and the only weight loss method that seems to work for me at this point is controlling the blood sugar spikes. That was way different 20 years ago - and everyone's body is different. You have to find what works for you. For me at this age - my diet has to be pretty strict. Stress causes the release of the hormone cortisol, which increases BG. My highest BG readings (higher even than when I eat a meal) are on Monday mornings before I eat anything (I struggle to deal with a super stressful job.) It sounds like you are on the right path to preventing any problems with diabetes. Moderate workouts, deep breathing and even sitting outside in nature every day can help bring down your stress level and help keep weight loss on track.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2016
    Yes, stress affected my blood sugar back when I was nearly diabetic, and I know it affects even people who are completely healthy with no history and low chances of getting diabetes.

You do need to relax a little and check your blood sugar less often. It's highly unlikely you would be fine today then wake up tomorrow with diabetes, especially now that you are losing weight. Even I, still obese, family history of diabetes, personal history of being almost there myself, I home check once on the first of every month and do an A1C once every 6 months.

Checking so often keeps the topic on your mind and adds to your stress (and your blood sugar numbers). Heck, even exercise stress can affect blood sugar until you get used to the intensity.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    You could ask to have insulin tested at your physical. That could help give you an idea if insulin resistance is starting.

Are you BG levels after meals fine? If so, you probably need to worry about almost high FBG less. There is very little you can do about FBG if you are already eating a LCHF diet, beyond trying metformin. I doubt you need that.

• grannynot
    grannynot Posts: 146 Member
    Stop reading the crap online and listen to your Doctor. Are some of those websites advising <90 levels, trying to sell something to lower it??? You are fussing about something that is a non-issue for you (and while diabetes is a problem, I'd rather have that, than sky-high cholesterol, for example); and meanwhile, the stress is probably harming you more. STOP CHECKING YOUR BLOOD.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Yes, in addition to the various possible dietary interventions, managing your stress, with exercise, meditation, cognitive behavioral therapy, and other modalities for self care, would be healthy for you in general, and might help your blood sugar too. (I want my blood sugar to be in the low to middle normal range, too, not in the upper range of normal, and I don't think that it's silly to pay attention to your numbers now, before you (possibly) get diagnosed with prediabetes.)
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member

Just want to chime in as others have that you're doing the right things, so I recommend you work on reducing your stress/anxiety over it.

Diabetes is rampant in my family...definitely a major genetic component for us. My grandfather had it, my mother was Type 1, my brother, aunt, several close cousins...all have Type 2. There's also the relatives that have gotten it late in life.

I don't have it and my numbers are always good at annual check ups. It's something I stay aware of, and it's a motivating factor for why I lost weight and why I work hard now to stay healthy. All you can do is the smart things with diet and exercise, which you're doing. Do what's in your power, and don't worry about what's out of your control. Live life, and if you get diabetes, cross that bridge then.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    For me normal blood sugars are between 70 and 140.
    My friend has a 90 year old grandmother that run in the 2-300's.
  • wisdomfromyou
    Bruceapple wrote: »
    For me normal blood sugars are between 70 and 140.
    My friend has a 90 year old grandmother that run in the 2-300's.

Nice. :)
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Stress and hormones can absolutely raise blood sugars. My son is a type 1 and sometimes wears a CGM, so we can watch it while he's at school. For a while he would always spike when his first class of the day started, even if he ate a carb-free breakfast and we couldn't figure out why... until he let us know there was a girl he liked in that class. lol We also see a spike during interviews and big tests. It comes back down naturally. Even non-diabetics have fluctuations. It isn't always a straight line.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    MzManiak wrote: »
    Stress and hormones can absolutely raise blood sugars. My son is a type 1 and sometimes wears a CGM, so we can watch it while he's at school. For a while he would always spike when his first class of the day started, even if he ate a carb-free breakfast and we couldn't figure out why... until he let us know there was a girl he liked in that class. lol We also see a spike during interviews and big tests. It comes back down naturally. Even non-diabetics have fluctuations. It isn't always a straight line.

@MzManiak thanks for sharing that. I am a non-diabetic and have fluctuations that are not carb related. I read where one researcher had found 9 different hormones that impact blood glucose levels. It sure is not a simple black and white subject.