Olive oil?

Options
So I'm wondering, I went on a diet (day 2 so far), and for lunch I had chicken, with small amount of veggies and a side salad (arugula, kale, grape tomatoes, and olive oil). Problem is the olive oil is so high in fat it screws my fat levels up for the rest of the day. I have heard that it is a healthy fat, but still. Any advice on this?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Fats are fine and not reason to be afraid of them. Unsaturated fats are better than saturated fats but there is some research suggesting that evdn sfa isnt that baf if its from natural sources.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to cut out olive oil in salad dressing, try seasoning the salad w just vinegar and spices
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i love my fats and go over everyday.. healthy fats like olive oil and avocados are a major part of my everyday diet.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    A lot of research has said that fat is good so I wouldn't worry about it too much. That being said, you could always halve the amount you use if it's bothering you.
  • MrsT1610
    MrsT1610 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    As long as it isn't more than a tablespoon full I wouldn't worry about it... it is a healthy fat and if you're not eating carbs your body needs them for fuel.

• marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    as long as you are still within your calorie goal your golden
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Fats are good! Balsamic Vineger and Apple Cider Vineger Dressing is da bom!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    How low are your fats? Adding a little olive oil shouldn't mess them up, and if you feel comfortable eating a bit more fat (or even a lot more) than the default macros, no problem, so long as you are getting a good mix of healthy fats (in which I'd include olive oil).

That said, I made olive oil based dressings a lot and find that you can use a smaller portion of oil than in a traditional vinaigrette (I normally use just a tsp with much more vinegar--the oil add body and consistency still). Adding mustard to this can be nice too or just use a really good balsamic.