need help with losing results

Options
2»

Replies

• DMB147
    DMB147 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

The "type" of food doesn't matter, it's how many calories you were eating and are eating now. Fruit & veggies still have calories. Just as an example your salad you logged today, instead of logging it as a salad log all the foods separately and weigh them. the ranch dressing you put as 2tbsp instead weigh or measure it.
    I don't know what piyo is so couldn't advise on that. [/quote]

You cant weigh dressing thats absurd

• DMB147
    Options

The two 3 piece KitKat bars really caught my eye. My KitKat bar that I ate a week ago was 4 wedges and 260 calories. And yet yours is logged as 210 calories for a total of 6 wedges. Maybe you meant the fun size ones but it is still standing out.

I also think that you might be using standard portion sizes instead of actual ones (eg. 2 tbsp sauce, 1/4 cup cheese but without measuring it and seeing how much you're actually taking and factoring the calories up or down). Most chicken breasts are more than 4 oz. You should weigh in grams. Some of the chicken breasts I buy are 330 g... and that was with a piece snapped off (frozen). That's about 12 oz. It was much larger than a deck of cards. It fed me and my husband (and do I EVER want to see a chicken that could have had a breast that big - wow!). An oz of beef seems odd to me too. That's about one bite.

I think you really are eating a lot more than you think. I recommend adding people as friends and then if you're having trouble finding database entries that seem correct, ask them for help :) The database can be hard to sift through. There are plenty of incorrect entries to choose from. And weight everything. And measure liquids in spoons/liquid measuring cups.

Best of luck! It's a learning process but you can get through it and come out thinner on the other side :)[/quote]

I scanned the kit kat bar the WHOLE candy bar regualr size is 210 cal
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can weigh dressing. I use a small custard cup, tare the scale, and add the dressing. Alternatively, you could weigh the salad dressing bottle, pour out what you are using, and re-weigh the bottle. The difference is how much dressing is on your salad.
  • DMB147
    Options
    and the piyo workout is at the ymca i dont buy CD or at home programs or supplement xfactor program herbalife those are all scams
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

[/quote]

Not absurd.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    DMB147 wrote: »
    I workout 3-5 days a week burning (according to fit bit and MFP) 586-800 calories.

The end of day exercise adjustment given by Fitbit is NOT an exercise adjustment. it is an accounting adjustment to account for the fact that Fitbit detected your TDEE as higher by 586 to 800 Calories than what MFP thought your TDEE really was.

Regardless of whether you are seeing results that correspond to that, it simply means that Fitbit overall thinks you are actually more active than what MFP thinks you are.

Since Fitbit measures your activity throughout the day it tends to be more accurate than MFP most of the time.

First of all you've lost weight. 7lbs is not something to sneeze at. You've also started a new exercise routine so it is not uncommon to have a slow down.

Having said that I would look at the correctness of my logging before looking much further.

As a side note, and in my experience apple juice is calorically expensive for what you get (apples are not calorically expensive because of the fiber you stay full longer, whereas apple juice is almost the equivalent of sugar water).

Unsweetened vanilla cashew milk, or water... is a low calorie base for smoothies. Celery juice maybe if you want to go with a juice.

Ya, apple juice is way too sweet for me. I started off using almond and coconut milk in my smoothies, then realized I could just use tea for less calories and cost.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »
    The "type" of food doesn't matter, it's how many calories you were eating and are eating now. Fruit & veggies still have calories. Just as an example your salad you logged today, instead of logging it as a salad log all the foods separately and weigh them. the ranch dressing you put as 2tbsp instead weigh or measure it.
    I don't know what piyo is so couldn't advise on that.

Sure you can weigh salad dressing. It's actually easier and faster than using measuring spoons - and you don't have to wash the spoon afterwards. It's especially important to weigh calorie dense foods like full fat salad dressing and peanut butter.

Put bowl on scale. Add food, noting weight each time and zero or TARE after each item.

My Newman's Ranch salad dressing is 2T or 30 grams per serving. I shoot for 30 grams. If the entry didn't have a weight in grams and if I go over, say 35 grams, I divide by 30. 35/30 = 1.1667 so for servings I would enter 1.2.

I try to use system entries (as opposed to user-created entries) whenever possible as these almost always already have an entry in grams.

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    and the piyo workout is at the ymca i dont buy CD or at home programs or supplement xfactor program herbalife those are all scams

Uh, just to let you know:

"Chalene’s best selling home fitness programs Turbo Fire™, ChaLEAN Extreme™, and Turbo Jam™ have sold over 10 million copies. While filming these and many other fitness videos, Chalene was proclaimed the Guinness Book of World Records holder for the most fitness videos. In addition, her live fitness classes – Turbo Kick™, Hip Hop Hustle™, and PiYo™ – are featured in thousands of top health clubs across the globe including industry giants 24 Hour Fitness, Gold’s Gym, and YMCA’s."

PiYo was still created by Chalene Johnson of Beachbody; it is a Beachbody workout program. The workouts aren't scams; the coaches and Shakeology aspects of Beachbody are scams. You are still doing the workouts created by someone for Beachbody. Whomever instructs you had to be trained by Beachbody in order to be a PiYo instructor.
  • DMB147
    Options
    so i mean im not gonna buy them
  • DMB147
    Options
    whats is the difference if i used the scanned serving size as apposed to the weigh in of food .........
  • DMB147
    Options
    thanks for your thoughts......I do appreciate them. I will be patient......I will buy a scale......then if i see a dramatic difference I will tell you
  • DMB147
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Not absurd.[/quote]

then tell me the difference between weighing it and the correct label 2 tb serving size I put in the mason jar this morning....and to be clear when you dump the salads out to eat not all the dressing comes out.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    of course you can weigh dressing, I weigh EVERYING that goes on my plate....it is time consuming but worth it if you are serios about counting calories
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    mbaby86 wrote: »
    of course you can weigh dressing, I weigh EVERYING that goes on my plate....it is time consuming but worth it if you are serios about counting calories

Yeah, all you have to do is weigh the container before and after. You don't even need to zero it out, if the container or bottle weighs 300 grams to start and then 280 after you're done with it, you know you used 20 grams of product.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options

The two 3 piece KitKat bars really caught my eye. My KitKat bar that I ate a week ago was 4 wedges and 260 calories. And yet yours is logged as 210 calories for a total of 6 wedges. Maybe you meant the fun size ones but it is still standing out.

I also think that you might be using standard portion sizes instead of actual ones (eg. 2 tbsp sauce, 1/4 cup cheese but without measuring it and seeing how much you're actually taking and factoring the calories up or down). Most chicken breasts are more than 4 oz. You should weigh in grams. Some of the chicken breasts I buy are 330 g... and that was with a piece snapped off (frozen). That's about 12 oz. It was much larger than a deck of cards. It fed me and my husband (and do I EVER want to see a chicken that could have had a breast that big - wow!). An oz of beef seems odd to me too. That's about one bite.

I think you really are eating a lot more than you think. I recommend adding people as friends and then if you're having trouble finding database entries that seem correct, ask them for help :) The database can be hard to sift through. There are plenty of incorrect entries to choose from. And weight everything. And measure liquids in spoons/liquid measuring cups.

Best of luck! It's a learning process but you can get through it and come out thinner on the other side :)

I scanned the kit kat bar the WHOLE candy bar regualr size is 210 cal[/quote]

Did you verify what you scanned for the Kit Kat bar against what the package actually said? Not everything in the MFP database is accurate. The entry that you have entered looks like it's for 3 of the fun size bars, which is calorically equivalent to 1 full size Kit Kat bar. But I've scanned items and the numbers that have come up were completely wrong compared to what the actual nutrition label said.

In terms of weighing, cups and tablespoons are ok for liquids, but you shouldn't be measuring solids (for example shredded cheese) in liquid measures, you should be using a scale. Another example I see is a half piece of toast logged as a 1/2 cup. And was it dry toast? Did you put any butter on it? Or the half omelet. How many eggs were in the omelet? Maybe the database entry is for a 2 egg omelet but you had half of a 3 egg omelet. It can be very easy to forget the little things like condiments and creamers, and to use generic database entries that don't accurately reflect what you're actually eating. We've all been there!
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I workout 3-5 days a week burning (according to fit bit and MFP) 586-800 calories.
    As a side note, and in my experience apple juice is calorically expensive for what you get (apples are not calorically expensive because of the fiber you stay full longer, whereas apple juice is almost the equivalent of sugar water).

Compared to some other juices though, apple juice is fairly light in calories [as long as it's 100% juice, and not those juices that are 10-30% juice]. 8 oz of 100% apple juice is only 110 calories, compared to 170 calories for 100% grape juice.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I scanned the kit kat bar the WHOLE candy bar regualr size is 210 cal

That might be a Canadian vs. American version bar then. I guess Canadians get bigger KitKats!

But just note - the scanner can be wrong. I'd say mine is wrong 40% of the time. Again... likely because I'm eating Canadian versions not American... but still. Worth checking the label on the back to make sure it fits. And to weigh it to see if it's the size it says it is. I have these almond cookies I love that appear very consistent in size. They are consistent, but they're consistently 10% heavier than stated on the package. Which means I'm also consuming 10% more calories when I have them.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    whats is the difference if i used the scanned serving size as apposed to the weigh in of food .........

Need to do both. Scan it to get the info and weigh it to make sure you eat the amount that info is related to.

If the bottle says 2T is 30 calories and that's what you log in your diary, but you eat 16T (extreme example for deminstration), you're not only eating 30 calories. You're eating 240 calories. So your diary will be 210 calories too low. And your body will still process those extra 210 calories whether you log or not.

I'm happy to read that you're taking in a lot of the good advice being given. I think that's key, and that you will find success :)

ETA: I have another tip! When it comes to meat... weigh the meat raw. And make sure you select an entry from the database that specifies that it's "raw" (and also what cut it is).

Cooked meat and raw meat weigh very different amounts. And while cooking, it depends on the method used for the remaining weight (how much moisture cooks off) so it's safest to use raw entries. True for vegetables, pasta, and rice also.
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    thanks for your thoughts......I do appreciate them. I will be patient......I will buy a scale......then if i see a dramatic difference I will tell you

I am seriously 24lbs lighter than I was May 1st because I weigh my portions. I was shocked to see how badly I was over eating.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    jrulo16 wrote: »

I am seriously 24lbs lighter than I was May 1st because I weigh my portions. I was shocked to see how badly I was over eating.

Me too @jrulo16 especially prepackaged food like a slice of bread or bag of popcorn, don't be fooled by what the pack says the contents weigh.