Pregnant, obese, and weight loss

Options
I am obese. (355 lbs.) I also am currently 6 weeks pregnant. Prior to getting pregnant I was on a journey to lose the weigh I had (re)gained from my last pregnancy a year ago. (I didnt lose weight after the pregnancy because immediately after having the baby and getting back home, I tore my ACL. And rehabbing that to the point I can walk again normally took some time. My OB stated a 15 lb weight gain should be normal with this pregnancy. And I am fine with that. But I think I can continue to lose safely. Has anyone done this?
I have done some serious progress since Christmas 2015 until now. I do not want to lose what ive already accomplished but I also want to have a healthy baby.

Thank you in advance.

vgjptand3v1k.jpg

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor.
  • AprilTom
    AprilTom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Eat at manintnace. Your body wont need the extra 300 cal because of the extra weight your already carrying. Enjoy your pregnancy!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Your doctor will know best
  • RAREBIRDART
    RAREBIRDART Posts: 100 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I dont think people are understanding my post....

I asked if anyone had done this...
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    I agree you should talk to your doctor, or another doctor. Perhaps consider maintaining your weight during the pregnancy as another option. But either way, you should be medically supervised while doing so. Congrats on the pregnancy! You're already glowing :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you need to follow your doctor's instructions.
  • mysticatgal1
    mysticatgal1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    keep walking and taking healthy steps. 15 pounds is what the baby and placenta weigh about so you'll be maintaining the next 9 months. don't worry about losing weight as much as being careful not to put much on. you have a little human to grow. Trust me though exercising the pregnancy makes labor so much better and helps you for after the baby is born. Congratulations!
  • RAREBIRDART
    Options
    keep walking and taking healthy steps. 15 pounds is what the baby and placenta weigh about so you'll be maintaining the next 9 months. don't worry about losing weight as much as being careful not to put much on. you have a little human to grow. Trust me though exercising the pregnancy makes labor so much better and helps you for after the baby is born. Congratulations!

Thank you, I will continue my walking of 7000-10000 a day.
  • LoFoSho100
    LoFoSho100 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has said, your doctor will know what is best to aim for in your case. However, my close friend had a very similar pregnancy situation. She stayed active through walking and swimming and never increased her caloric intake. She maintained her weight; she literally never gained a pound while pregnant. When the baby was born, she actually lost almost 20 pounds while in the hospital.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    A very close friend is almost ready to deliver (she is 40 BTW). She's lost 25#'s this pregnancy (this is #6), looks great, has had the best pregnancy of all of them and is still on track to deliver 2 weeks early a 10+ pound baby (she has HUGE babies). So long as you eat nutrient dense foods the baby will get everything it needs from you. I absolutely agree with walking and maintaining and you'll likely come out of this pregnancy lighter if you do that.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Yes, with my second baby I lost weight over the course of the pregnancy. But it was because I was so sick carrying her that I couldnt eat without - well, you know...... So losing while pregnant can be done, isnt necessarily a dangerous thing but should be done in consultation with your doctor. Good luck and congrats!
  • RAREBIRDART
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    Yes, with my second baby I lost weight over the course of the pregnancy. But it was because I was so sick carrying her that I couldnt eat without - well, you know...... So losing while pregnant can be done, isnt necessarily a dangerous thing but should be done in consultation with your doctor. Good luck and congrats!

Thank you!
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Listen to your doctor on this one. If you gain only 15 pounds, that is just the baby, placenta and fluid. It is gone when you give birth. A few extra pounds lost during the pregnancy is not going to get you so far ahead of the game to make it worth it. Eating a maintenance instead of adding extra calories is a good idea, but it would not go any farther than that. Think about it, they say to ADD excess calories while pregnant to feed the baby. If you subtract say 500 calories a day, a very moderate cut for a non pregnant person in obese category, you are eating 800-1000 less than you should. You baby need calories to grow, and while some can come from fat stores, that energy is not as accessible as the food you are currently eating.