I am going to try spinach and kale in a blender?

Options
MelaniaTrump
MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
edited July 2016 in Recipes
I will add 1 cup of water.
1/2 cup of frozen walmart chopped spinach
1/2 cup of frozen walmart chopped kale (yes, they sell this).
I will blend in a $14 mixer. Hamilton Beach.

What will this taste like? Do people make green drinks like this?
I don't do almond milks (nut waters). Expensive for the nutrition.
Coconut water is pricey and I don't think it's worth the calories.
I don't want to add fruit or fruit juices of any kind to keep it low calorie.
I hope to get a response in 24 hours.
Anyone drink it plain like this? Again, I do not want to add calories unless they are worth it.
Currently I try to eat a big green salad at least 2 times a week (huge salad). This would make it easier if I could be a bit daily. I have low sodium v8 I could add.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I often put spinach or kale in smoothies, but I've never done it just alone. I imagine it would taste pretty bland, as I don't taste spinach or kale when they're mixed with other things. If I was determined to do this (it sounds pretty joyless, tbh, although some people may enjoy it), I would add the V8. But I think I'd rather eat a big salad than drink a glass of liquified greens.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    It is delicious!
    You should make it a double
    You won't regret it
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Your haiku skills could use some work
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Just leaf and water sounds disgusting to me.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I always use spinach and kale in my smoothies, in addition to a scoop of protein powder. To be honest, I can't imagine not adding some form of fruit, so usually add either mixed frozen fruit (40-70 cals) or a banana (105 cals). Really, those few calories make such a teenie impact in my daily calories, so well worth it to enjoy a yummy shake, rather than force down a dull, green shake. Calories aren't evil, don't be afraid of them!

Also, there are recipes out there for home made V8 juice, you should look them up! With your blender, you could totally maximize the benefits!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

yeah but your not a frog
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »

yeah but your not a frog

Shouldn't frogs be eating bugs and water?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options

yeah but your not a frog

Shouldn't frogs be eating bugs and water?

not vegetarian ones

I once heard a rumor that Lionel Ritchie was briefly a vegan. Can you confirm this?
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I used to make a smoothie with baby spinach and kale, but it also had blueberries, half a banana, walnuts, and vanilla protein powder. It was delicious. I can't imagine having just the leaves. I am on a low carb WOE now, so I couldn't probably do the banana nowadays if I made one.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I often put spinach or kale in smoothies, but I've never done it just alone. I imagine it would taste pretty bland, as I don't taste spinach or kale when they're mixed with other things. If I was determined to do this (it sounds pretty joyless, tbh, although some people may enjoy it), I would add the V8. But I think I'd rather eat a big salad than drink a glass of liquified greens.

Agree with all of this.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I would suggest blending the spinach and kale with a bit of liquid first, then addingthe other liquid and ingredients. They tend to be tough to blend and I've personally found that meant they blended more uniformly so you dont get as much of that "gritty salad in a glass" mouthfeel.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    OP, here are some of my green smoothie secrets:

1. add a tablespoon of greek yogurt - gives it creamy smooth texture
    2. add mint leaves - Taste is amazing!
    3. if you like sweet, add a touch of agave or honey.
    4. if you'd like more taste and can handle the extra calories, add in a few almonds (assuming your blender is able to pulverize them).

Blend on!
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this is a silly question, but if you are not going to add anything to add to/disguise the flavor of the greens, wouldn't it be easier to just eat the greens on a plate? Adding 1 cup of water and nothing else just means it will take longer to choke them down if you don't like them, and if you do like them it's still easier to just eat them with a spoon isn't it? What am I missing here?
  • knelson077
    knelson077 Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    This is going to sound disgusting, but I make a smoothie with Starbucks instant iced coffee, water, and spinach. Sometimes I add Greek Yogurt or protein powder. Tastes better than it looks. Spinach has a milder flavor than kale.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Agreed, but I don't like kale.

You could add some veggies to change up the flavor. If I need low cal, I add cucumber and carrots. It adds a little flavor and sweetness. I tried a spinach, tomato, cucumber blend with balsamic vinegar. It might sound weird, but it tasted nice (I was surprised by that, TBH). The tomato skin made that one more lumpy though, so consider peeling it. I've also used bell peppers. Play with and have fun!
  • lrsirius
    lrsirius Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I add a scoop of vanilla protein powder, it actually makes it an enjoyable meal; I'll add a few frozen pineapple bits to make it truly delish. Still low cal.
  • Getfitat54
    Getfitat54 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I will add 1 cup of water.
    1/2 cup of frozen walmart chopped spinach
    1/2 cup of frozen walmart chopped kale (yes, they sell this).
    I will blend in a $14 mixer. Hamilton Beach.

What will this taste like? Do people make green drinks like this?
    I don't do almond milks (nut waters). Expensive for the nutrition.
    Coconut water is pricey and I don't think it's worth the calories.
    I don't want to add fruit or fruit juices of any kind to keep it low calorie.
    I hope to get a response in 24 hours.
    Anyone drink it plain like this? Again, I do not want to add calories unless they are worth it.
    Currently I try to eat a big green salad at least 2 times a week (huge salad). This would make it easier if I could be a bit daily. I have low sodium v8 I could add.

I want to try kale, but Wal-Mart sells it in such a big bag... if I don't like then I'm stuck.

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    No offense, but just kale and spinach frozen in a blender sounds awful. Like the worst slurpee ever. Can you add regular milk? Or, like @queenliz99 said just roast them into chips? I'd have to add some fruit to that to hide the taste and I like both kale and spinach.