Cheese!

Options
buckleten
buckleten Posts: 205 Member
I really love cheese, but I am worried that I am eating too much! I just ate 50 grams of it which is about 210 calories by my calculation, and I can fit this into my calorie allowance for the day. But, it makes me way over on fat, is this going to stop or slow my weight loss? I eat it most days, should I try to cut back? Thanks :-)

Replies

• Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is mainly all about calories in vs calories out. If you can make it fit then go for it. If you were eating highly processed sugar then you might want to consider cutting back but fat doesn't make you fat, eating too many calories does ;)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I eat that much cheese, or more (usually more), on a daily basis. Absolutely no adverse effects from it. Maintain your caloric deficit, and you'll be fine.
  • buckleten
    Options
    I do make sure I weigh it and that it fits! Thanks, feel better now :-)
  • JeffreyBurkhalter
    JeffreyBurkhalter Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My wife and I love cheese, but too much can be bad for you. It is high in sodium and saturated fat (can increase cholesterol levels). Too much of it can be bad for you!
  • johnstone682
    johnstone682 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Eatlean protein cheese, go nuts
  • johnstone682
    johnstone682 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    ui79dvh22i3a.jpeg
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Lots of low calorie, low fat cheeses taste great imo, Jarlsberg lite Swiss, those Bonnie bell cheeses in the red wax, laughing cow etc.
  • buckleten
    Options
    I really love the BabyBel lite cheeses, quite often snack on one of those!
  • BigTandthesquatters
    BigTandthesquatters Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Sharp cheddar. It has a strong flavor so it is tasty. Shred it and you will use less. For example .5oz/15gr is only 50 calories and more than enough to top a burger.
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I eat one slice cheddar cheese every weeknight
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I had a cheese addiction that was bad news for me. it spiked my weight & cholesterol levels were through the roof. I had to stop cold turkey. After not eating any for 4 months I lost 20lbs & my blood work is back to normal. My Doctor said cheese is basically liquid fat & the excess cheese is killing you. Enough said!! I can now have just one piece on occasion with-out over doing it...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't personally eat that much every day (I consider cheese a treat, much like sweets), but on occasion I see no harm in it. I also wouldn't worry about the fat macro -- so long as you are getting enough protein, how much fat vs. carbs you get is really personal. The MFP default goal is just one of many perfectly healthy options. Choice within the macros makes more difference than fat percentage or carb percentage.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    xbowhunter wrote: »
    I had a cheese addiction that was bad news for me. it spiked my weight & cholesterol levels were through the roof. I had to stop cold turkey. After not eating any for 4 months I lost 20lbs & my blood work is back to normal. My Doctor said cheese is basically liquid fat & the excess cheese is killing you. Enough said!! I can now have just one piece on occasion with-out over doing it...

Your Doctor is an idiot!! Calories equal weight loss or gain not any specific food I eat 100 grams of Fat most days finishing a cut now and still close to 85 grams of fat a day my cholesterol is perfect and I'm ripped. Cheese is just calories and a great food to eat so enjoy it as I do EVERYDAY!!

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    buckleten wrote: »
    I really love cheese, but I am worried that I am eating too much! I just ate 50 grams of it which is about 210 calories by my calculation, and I can fit this into my calorie allowance for the day. But, it makes me way over on fat, is this going to stop or slow my weight loss? I eat it most days, should I try to cut back? Thanks :-)

As long as the calories from the cheese fit into you daily calorie goals then it doesn't matter if the calories are coming from fat or carbs. They'll just be burned off regardless.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    That isn't that much cheese. I eat that much or more. As long as it fits your daily calories, it shouldn't matter.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I eat about 25g -30g of cheese most days, I love it. I just always make sure it fits in with my calorie allowance.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Lots of low calorie, low fat cheeses taste great imo, Jarlsberg lite Swiss, those Bonnie bell cheeses in the red wax, laughing cow etc.
    low fat cheese is the worst thing ever created. It tastes like *kitten* and sadness. Just. no. if you're going to eat cheese- eat real cheese.
    xbowhunter wrote: »

oh god- get a new doctor please. please.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    ui79dvh22i3a.jpeg

I saw this in morrisons last week... does it taste like proper cheese?
  • JC77721
    JC77721 Posts: 65 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    People say that eating too much of any food can be dangerous and cause health issues in the long run. Just be careful. If for instance you think that you are eating too much cheese, then maybe you are indeed eating too much cheese! Eat with moderation and find other foods you can enjoy
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Just felt like stopping back by to post my dinner tonight, since it's completely relevant.

120g Babybel Sharp Cheese
    7 Prosciutto wrapped mozzarella sticks

Been a good night so far.