What's Your Story?

Options
A couple things prompted this question. I just read a heartfelt comment of someone saying "how could I let myself get like this. Why did I let it get so bad". Reading that is crushing, you can feel the pain and guilt. Many of us can relate to that.

Another thought is the judgement people face. No one sees what happened or the why, they just see the weight and make assumptions.

So, if you feel like sharing, perhaps it will give you a sense of acceptance and release of that burden, so you can move on. Maybe it was as simple as, I didn't notice I was just living my life. Or perhaps there was trauma, and it was a coping mechanism. Whatever it is, I would love to hear your story. And I can almost guarantee someone will relate, and that's a bond that's very special.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    My weight gain story was stupid and boring. I belived in the myth that there were foods I had to eat and food I shouldn't eat, and I only liked the foods I shouldn't eat. It made me feel miserable, so I ate a little more just to feel better :s
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    For me, I was a chubby kid. Never really that fat, but I had two brothers that would tease me constantly. I took it hard, developed an eating disorder at 11, got thinner and that was that.
    In college I ended up losing a lot of weight because I started running and lifting on top of the disordered eating.
    I stopped after college and gained the 10lbs back, maintained, then got pregnant at 25. I gained too much and lost it all in a year and have maintained that for 8 years now. I lost some and gained some over the years, all within a 10lb range.
    Last year I lost 10lbs and kept that loss until the past few months.
  • msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    @kommodevaran Fortunately we know better now! Although I see people come here all the time that STILL think that?!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I'm also super short, so 10lbs for me is like 30 on someone else - just under 5ft and every 2-3lbs is noticeable.
  • msalicia116
    Options
    @mysticatgal1 Now that you have the tools, those cute clothes, and the confidence, going back to that seems far less likely. Good for you!
  • msalicia116
    Options
    I'm also super short, so 10lbs for me is like 30 on someone else - just under 5ft and every 2-3lbs is noticeable.

That's how I feel too and I'm 5'6"! Some body types can distribute it well. Me, not so much.
  • hmltwin
    hmltwin Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I was always underweight as a little girl. Even through the end of high school, I was at the very lowest end of what someone my height should weigh. I never worried about what I was eating or exercising. Once I was out of my parents' house, my diet went downhill. I went from eating a balanced diet to eating whatever I wanted at college, but I was super active, so I gained my weight slowly.

Then, I graduated college and got a desk job. I continued to eat what I had been since living on my own and... with less activity, I went gained forty pounds. The first time I dieted, I ended up gaining ten pounds. It took my mom and my aunt exercising together and losing weight for me to give it another try. This time, I've lost a total of 34 pounds and I'd like to lose another eight (to get down to a healthy weight).

So... yeah, no dramatic story for me. It was simply a matter of forgetting what my mother taught me about eating right combined with a lack of exercise.
  • msalicia116
    Options
    hmltwin wrote: »
    I was always underweight as a little girl. Even through the end of high school, I was at the very lowest end of what someone my height should weigh. I never worried about what I was eating or exercising. Once I was out of my parents' house, my diet went downhill. I went from eating a balanced diet to eating whatever I wanted at college, but I was super active, so I gained my weight slowly.

Then, I graduated college and got a desk job. I continued to eat what I had been since living on my own and... with less activity, I went gained forty pounds. The first time I dieted, I ended up gaining ten pounds. It took my mom and my aunt exercising together and losing weight for me to give it another try. This time, I've lost a total of 34 pounds and I'd like to lose another eight (to get down to a healthy weight).

So... yeah, no dramatic story for me. It was simply a matter of forgetting what my mother taught me about eating right combined with a lack of exercise.

Nothing like gaining weight when you're trying to diet to make you feel like you don't want to do that again, haha! Glad you gave it another go, and congrats on your loss!

I much prefer this version of a reason than something gut wrenching ;) Thanks for sharing!
  • msalicia116
    Options
    @leeshults that's actually a very good way of putting it, and probably applies to more people than not. "Food was my friend". If only that friend weren't so addicting! I'm sorry about your husband, and I loved the part where you said, got married young...was really happy. Especially after the first part. Appreciate your response!
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I don't know - I just never thought about food or getting fat. Yes, I was raised by a mother who was larger and always on a diet, but honestly I never even noticed until she told me she was fat, that's when I started to notice (and I remember that day well- I asked her why she never wore a bathing suit when we were on vacation and walking back to the cabin from the lake, that's when she informed me she was "fat" Huh- I had no clue!)

Anyway, I always thought I was fat too. Even at 105 pounds and 5'4" - just the way it was. Nobody every taught me the "right way" or "wrong way" to eat. We just ate whatever we wanted when it was there. Really though, I was a pretty skinny kid and teenager and then got pregnant and had a baby at 17.... then became bulimic to help lose the weight, then got pregnant again and started NOT being bulimic- then I just ate whatever I could afford as eventually I ended up a single broke parent. We ate a lot of stuff that was high calorie and prepackaged because it was cheap. Food was also a fun thing, and emotional thing, a reward! So - one day, I discovered that I had gained as much as my 12 year old had since she was born. Yep, 70-some pounds- except mine was fat and hers was growth! I'd like to mention though, NOBODY other than me ever said a word negative about my weight, I had it inside my head that I was never the weight I thought I should be. I don't know why I thought that, it's just the way it was.

I guess my fatness eventually came from lack of knowledge or caring. I never thought about fiber, fat, protein, carbs - etc. I ate what tasted good whenever I wanted it. I learned a lot when I joined Calorie King in 2006 - Then MFP in 2009 (when Calorie King got expensive)

The thing is, when I was fat - and didn't really KNOW I was fat.... I think I was kinda happier. I felt sexy, I enjoyed the food I ate without guilt and never gave it a 2nd thought. Now I analyze everything, feel awful for eating stuff I shouldn't, examine every part of my body with criticism, don't think I'll ever feel confident naked and certainly not sexy. All I ever think about is food, cooking and eating. Perhaps I look better on the outside to others and I'm 100% sure I'm physically healthier, but I don't think I'll ever be completely happy with my body.

• Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    leeshults wrote: »
    Unhappy childhood, alcoholic parents...food was my friend! Got married young...was really happy... food was still my friend! Husband passed away 4 years ago, keep busy but food is now my social friend too. Thanks for posting this. It's true we are all going through "something"....

:(

• Pelses
    Pelses Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was always active when I was younger. School sports, softball, basketball here and there. Then I found a rut and didn't realize it until it was to late. Now I'm 43 and need to get back to moving around more. I'm a truck driver now so diet is gunna be very important to success
  • msalicia116
    Options
    "The thing is, when I was fat - and didn't really KNOW I was fat.... I think I was kinda happier. I felt sexy, I enjoyed the food I ate without guilt and never gave it a 2nd thought. Now I analyze everything, feel awful for eating stuff I shouldn't, examine every part of my body with criticism, don't think I'll ever feel confident naked and certainly not sexy."

Hmm.. Something flipped a switch, do you know what that was? If you don't, then I'm not sure you'll be happy even if you reach your goal weight. Of course, sorting that out while getting healthy would be the ideal scenario.

All I could think while reading that was, damn she's strong. And forgive me for saying because it's just my opinion, but it sounds like you deserve to finally focus on yourself and what makes you healthy, happy, and whole. I mean, if you can start raising kids at 17, believe me, you can definitely look and feel sexy again. You've already proven you can do anything.
  • msalicia116
    Options
    Pelses wrote: »
    I was always active when I was younger. School sports, softball, basketball here and there. Then I found a rut and didn't realize it until it was to late. Now I'm 43 and need to get back to moving around more. I'm a truck driver now so diet is gunna be very important to success

It's not too late ;) at the risk of sounding cliché, it's just the beginning. 43 is the new 33, didn't you know?!
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    My bad habits eventually landed me in the hospital for a few weeks, where I had to undergo quite a few unpleasant and painful procedures. After that I vowed never to end up there again, mainly to try and avoid some of those more painful procedures [they had to use a catheter to drain off a lot of water weight. Insertion/removal of those is extremely painful].

So far that motivation's been helping a lot. I've lost 67 pounds since then.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Well I think it all started around 4th grade when my parents split. I went to live with my dad, and it was summer and he didn't really let me go do anything while he was at work so I just sat around eating... Kind of a tender age to learn that habit! Insert years of the cycle and nothing working. Ended up in a relationship with a man 12 years my senior who was a raging alcoholic, and I tried to keep up. In 6 months I had put on a good 20-30 pounds. That was my holy *kitten* moment. Quit drinking, and 10lbs fell off in a week. Started exercising and using MFP. Week two, dropped the raging alcoholic boyfriend. Fast forward 2 years, slowly lost 70lbs before getting pregnant. Now I'm just trying to manage the gain and grow a healthy little girl before losing the last 45-50ish.