Bit early but....anyone else already thinking about Christmas shopping?

Options
SophieSmall95
SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member
edited July 2016 in Chit-Chat
I like to get most of my Christmas shopping out of the way early and just do a few stocking filler gift shopping come December to get in the festive spirit. I like to do it this way as I'm a uni student and December is a very busy time for me at university.

What I tend to do is make a budget spread sheet of all the family members I'm buying presents for and input ideas around this time of year when I have a lot of free time and start hunting for bargains. I find I save a tonne of money doing it this way rather than rushing it all in December.

I generally steer clear of "standard" gifts for people like body wash sets and useless junk that sure is festive and is entertaining for a few minutes but never gets used and just sit in a cupboard collecting dust. By shopping before the festive season I find it's easier to find better less gimmicky gifts.

I find my brothers incredibly difficult to buy for though! One of them is a right grumpy bum and the other is one of those people that has everything already! One in his mid 30's and the other his 40's hahah. Any ideas?

P.S sorry for the blasphemous ridiculously early Christmas thread!!

Replies

• chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    You're like me! I don't do spreadsheets, but if my Christmas shopping isn't done by Halloween I start to freak out a little. I'm always keeping my eye out for the perfect gift, and I snag it when it comes along.

Uncommon Goods is my go-to for gift ideas - there's usually something quirky that goes with someone's personality or interests on there. It's great inspiration for the difficult people. However, I don't buy directly from the site that often. They tend to latch onto things that have gotten popular on Scoutmob or Etsy and mark them up, or I can find a version of something I like (i.e. growler w/ logo for dad) somewhere else for less.
  • SophieSmall95
    Options
    You're like me! I don't do spreadsheets, but if my Christmas shopping isn't done by Halloween I start to freak out a little. I'm always keeping my eye out for the perfect gift, and I snag it when it comes along.

Uncommon Goods is my go-to for gift ideas - there's usually something quirky that goes with someone's personality or interests on there. It's great inspiration for the difficult people. However, I don't buy directly from the site that often. They tend to latch onto things that have gotten popular on Scoutmob or Etsy and mark them up, or I can find a version of something I like (i.e. growler w/ logo for dad) somewhere else for less.

Yeah, I'm going into my final year of university and so have a lot going on (dissertation, exams, coursework etc) so I ideally like to get most of the thinking out of the way by around the same time.

The thing with my older brother (the grumpy one) is he is a complete workaholic and doesn't really seem to have any interests :( I feel like I barely know him sometimes, only see him a few times a year. But he is a great big brother and has helped me out a lot over the years and I just want to show appreciation. As for the other one, most of his interests are super expensive!

I'm the same in that I rarely buy from the site I find it! I'll scout around for the absolute best deal!
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I'm usually looking all year, and buy things when I find a good deal, or find something I know a particular person will like. Then by August or September I make a plan for the harder to shop for people.

I've recently started doing gift basket type gifts, which are very inexpensive, easy, and can work for just about any person. So I've done movie night (a popcorn bucket, candy, redbox coupons) a cozy mug (big mug, socks, coffee, tea, cocoa) car bucket (an organizer, wipes, small trash bags, pens, post-its, snacks) pizza night (pizza pan, oven mitts, pizza wheel, parmesan cheese and sauce) there are tons more ideas on pinterest.

These are great for older people, couples, people who have everything, people who want nothing, anybody!
  • msangsterm
    msangsterm Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I shop throughout the entire year for Christmas. We keep everything downstairs in storage. Keeps my stress down :')
  • SophieSmall95
    edited July 2016
    Options
    ponycyndi wrote: »
    I'm usually looking all year, and buy things when I find a good deal, or find something I know a particular person will like. Then by August or September I make a plan for the harder to shop for people.

I've recently started doing gift basket type gifts, which are very inexpensive, easy, and can work for just about any person. So I've done movie night (a popcorn bucket, candy, redbox coupons) a cozy mug (big mug, socks, coffee, tea, cocoa) car bucket (an organizer, wipes, small trash bags, pens, post-its, snacks) pizza night (pizza pan, oven mitts, pizza wheel, parmesan cheese and sauce) there are tons more ideas on pinterest.

These are great for older people, couples, people who have everything, people who want nothing, anybody!

Last Christmas I got my family essentially gift baskets I made up of snacks from around the world (china, japan, Thailand, america, Australia etc). It was a really fun idea.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    It depends upon what the item is, I'll never buy anything electronic, until it's close enough to the holiday because if it doesn't work, I might not be able to return/exchange the item; due to a store's policy. I also don't buy anything easily breakable, unless it doesn't come in a package or I can see that it isn't broken, through the package; so that I don't unintentionally give a broken gift.
  • SophieSmall95
    Options
    It depends upon what the item is, I'll never buy anything electronic, until it's close enough to the holiday because if it doesn't work, I might not be able to return/exchange the item; due to a store's policy. I also don't buy anything easily breakable, unless it doesn't come in a package or I can see that it isn't broken, through the package; so that I don't unintentionally give a broken gift.

Ahh agreed on the electronics front. I try to avoid anything like that in general in case it doesn't work and need to get in touch with the store on manufacturer for the whole warranty thing. It can just be a nightmare. especially if the gift is for a family member who lives miles away who you see infrequently.
  • SophieSmall95
    Options
    Why don't you just get baby Jesus a bottle of grass-fed, humanely raised, free range, FDA approved milk?

what...just...why?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I used to but now my kids change their mind every 2 minutes so it looks like last minute shopping for me this year (plus now they know where I hide the stuff. Sigh).
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    What? No. I do it two days before. Finish on xmas eve.
  • SophieSmall95
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

What? That's insane! How can you cope with the stress with such a rush to do it all?
  • SophieSmall95
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I used to but now my kids change their mind every 2 minutes so it looks like last minute shopping for me this year (plus now they know where I hide the stuff. Sigh).

Thankfully I don't have any kids or child family members to shop for. Budget would be through the roof if I had to add kids into the mix too!
  • arditarose
    Options

What? That's insane! How can you cope with the stress with such a rush to do it all?

I live in NYC too. Have you been to NYC Macy's on Christmas eve? If you can cope with that, you can cope with anything.

I deal with the stress by crying and drinking.
  • arditarose
    Options
    It's what christmas is all about
  • SophieSmall95
    Options

I live in NYC too. Have you been to NYC Macy's on Christmas eve? If you can cope with that, you can cope with anything.

I deal with the stress by crying and drinking.

I'm from England, never left the UK! But from what I've seen....sounds like a nightmare. I wouldn't be able to cope.
  • SophieSmall95
    Options

For me Christmas is about food, drink and watching people open their presents.....oh and the Christmas tree.

I am very specific about the Christmas tree. I let my family help decorate it, but I pick the theme and decorations! ahaha
  • arditarose
    Options

For me Christmas is about food, drink and watching people open their presents.....oh and the Christmas tree.

I am very specific about the Christmas tree. I let my family help decorate it, but I pick the theme and decorations! ahaha

I was joking.....
  • SophieSmall95
    Options

I was joking.....

I know :)
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    I almost have Xmas all done as I work non stop come October straight through til Xmas eve. My nephews and even brother in law likes unusual T-shirts which I get from Shirt Woot.com My sister only like a few token stores so I know her size and I bought her gift already. Hubby needs work shirts done and he likes car gizmo stuff. My sister found him a scraper that was called the snow plow that had a heating element in it( he loved that) it died a few years ago wish i could find another. My daughter asked for gift cards as they are moving so don't want to move more stuff come January. My 93 year old grandmother I just bought her a zillion cards every occasion and gave them to her now. My parents i painted the interior of their house. I know myself almost 50 I would rather not have another piece of c**p come into my house. Ask me what I need? I would love for someone to help me prune my bushes or to babysit the dog so I can go on vacation. A card saying on blank or blank I can help you with any of the following. That's something i would love.
    Every year I give my parents one of my weeks vacations to do chores around their home.
    This year I painted.
    Last year I resealed the drive and put a new roof on the shed.
    Come X-mas my parents are usually thinking of things they need done and what they are putting on the top of their list. LOL
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    DEAR GOD, NO. I am in absolute denial that we only have 2 months left of summer, let alone thinking about the snow and the cold (gross, gross, gross). Plus, Christmas is just not as fun since my kids have grown up - I just don't love it, generally speaking.