Do you count veggies and fruit?

Options
Do you count fruit and veggie calories in your daily journal? I do not so long as I exercise at least 30 minutes for the day. I have them unlimited. This is a motivator for me to exercise and eat fruit and veggies. However if it is a day that I do not exercise I do count them. Anyone else do anything like this? It was actually a suggestion from my doctor.

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I do count veggies and fruit. Fruits are not particularly low-calorie, and some veggies can add up too (broccoli, for example). Even though they are good calories, they are still calories and should count toward your daily total. I would be underestimating calories consumed by 100-200 calories or more if I didn't count any fruits or veggies, depending on the day. Average bananas, for example, are about 100 calories each.
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    Yes!!! Personally, I count (and journal) every single thing that goes in my mouth. I am counting my sugars and I was so surprised to see how much sugar is in 1 apple. That's just me, though.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    When I count calories I tend to not count vegetables (other than the high carb ones like potato, sweet potato, sweetcorn and peas).

I would usually consider non-starchy veg to be a 'free food' but since fruit can be quite high in cals, I would tend to count that, or limit to 2 pieces per day (if I was going for healthy eating rather than counting).

To be honest I think the calorie counts for veg on here are a bit out. Well, to be fair, the veg may have that many calories but not all of the calories in veg are absorbed (people often report on here seeing ahem undigested food in the toilet). Whether they are absorbed or not, it's very unlikely that you will severely hinder your goals with calories from vegies :flowerforyou:
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    I absolutely count my fruits & veggies. Fruit is loaded with sugar and although fruit does contain some great nutrition (vitamins & minerals), it should be enjoyed in moderation. :smile: The nutrition packed fruits & veggies are also not really low calorie foods. A cup of steamed broccoli has 30 calories, 1 medium apple has about 80, 2/3 cup of green beans has 45, a medium banana has around 110. That's 265 calories right there with just 2 pieces of fruit & 2 (smallish) servings of veggies. I'd want to count that.

edit: Oh, the typos. :laugh:
  • angelascott919
    Options
    Although veggies and fruit are a much better alternative to chips and cake they still contain calories and should be counted. Those calories can add up and keep you from losing weight even if you are exercising. I didn't realize how much extra sugar I was consuming until I started tracking them and that extra sugar can really hurt your efforts.

My philosophy is, like others, if it goes in my mouth I count it.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I count everything I put in my mouth. :happy:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I count everything....every calorie adds up and can easily put you over for the day in either cals, sugars, carbs, ect.
  • jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone that says they count them. Plus, if you're tracking things like sugar, carbs, fiber, or certain vitamins, you definitely want to include them in your diary. It's about more than just calories! Plus, I like to look back and see if I met my daily 5 each day!
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    I do not count most veggies. I only count the ones that are high on the glycemic index or are higher starchier veggies, like corn, potatoes, carrots etc. All other veggies are a free food for me.

Fruit I always count because its higher in calories and sugar.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    YES! You MUST count them especially fruit. In 30 minutes you burn like 200-300 calories, well that’s the same as 3 apples so you cannot be limitless. Fruit especially due to carbs and sugar levels should not be gorged on like anything. Vegetables are good to log because of the fibre but their calories don't usually make much of a difference but still a good habit to get into.

Keep in mind carrots are high in sugars, they are pretty much the only veggie on WW that has a points value. Alll other veggies are 0. Actually corn is pts.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Count everything!!!!
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I count everything. For one, if I don't write them down then I can't keep track to see if I'm eating enough fruit/veggies. However, if I go over on my sugar or carbs, I look to see if it was fruit/veggie related and if it is then I don't worry about it. If it wasn't fruit/veggie related then I just try to adjust my habits going forward.
  • david1956
    david1956 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I've had a mindset a bit like yours, that so long as I train hard I will bung in as many veges as I like. My overall diet in terms of quality is healthy. It has worked for the "big pounds", but I'm starting to realise that to really get into my body fat % I need to start getting precise.

I've looked at a lot of opinions on body-building sites etc etc, and all of them concur that the need for a slight calorie deficit is irrespective of the make-up of those calories. That the food must be of healthy types is a given, but that doesn't mean you can eat as much as you like if you are trying to reduce fat.
  • chelseap891
    Options
    I count everything. Even pieces of gum haha.