weight gainers

Options
hi weight gainers..i am also trying to gain a weight, i have gained 5kgs since i stopped smoking 7 months ago, but would like to gain another 5.. any tips? i have been super skinny my whole life, so its difficult for me to gain. p.s please dont tell me to eat a cheeseburger..

Replies

• Jeremyinstl
    Jeremyinstl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well if you are having trouble eating your calories you try drinking them with mass gainer shakes or you could make your own high calorie shakes. A little ice cream wouldn't hurt as well
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Assuming that you want that gain to be lean body mass (muscle, bone, ligament etc) rather than fat? If so,
    • Progressive (increasingly harder) strength training protocol
    • Slight (250 per day?) calorific surplus to ensure 0.5lb gain per week
    • Adequate protein to aid muscle synthesis (0.8lb - 1lb lean body mass as a minimum)
    • If you are struggling to eat enough consider dropping any cardio that you are doing (if any)

It's also worth noting that, in my experience, those that have trouble gaining weight are usually those that decide that some foods are "unhealthy" or "bad" whereas those that are successful are happy to eat a wide range of foods including stuff like pizza, cheeseburgers, and the above mentioned, ice cream. Certainly, for my last bulk I was eating +3500 cals per day and I could not have hit that target without foods that others would consider "bad".

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    hi weight gainers..i am also trying to gain a weight, i have gained 5kgs since i stopped smoking 7 months ago, but would like to gain another 5.. any tips? i have been super skinny my whole life, so its difficult for me to gain. p.s please dont tell me to eat a cheeseburger..

You don't have to eat a cheeseburger, albeit they are super delicious. And in reality, it can be any combination of high calorie foods to help you achieve your calorie goal. But one of the hardest limitations to getting calories, are ones we put on ourselves. The below thread can help you with some ideas. But keep in mind, there is no unhealthy foods, just unhealthy diets.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1
  • loneshark18
    loneshark18 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm also trying to gain weight; I'm also skinny too. In order to gain weight and reach my goal, I'm having heavy breakfast, including heavy calorie meals like peanut butter bread in my daily diet, and also having heavy dinner. Try eating soybeans it's plenty of calories with good nutrients. I'm no expert, so try finding the right meal which gives you enough calories and nutrients. All the best. :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Whats wrong with a cheeseburger? if you're not vegetarian or vegan of course!
  • Misscarpainter
    Misscarpainter Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Assuming that you want that gain to be lean body mass (muscle, bone, ligament etc) rather than fat? If so,
    • Adequate protein to aid muscle synthesis (0.8lb - 1lb lean body mass as a minimum)
    • If you are struggling to eat enough consider dropping any cardio that you are doing (if any)

It's also worth noting that, in my experience, those that have trouble gaining weight are usually those that decide that some foods are "unhealthy" or "bad" whereas those that are successful are happy to eat a wide range of foods including stuff like pizza, cheeseburgers, and the above mentioned, ice cream. Certainly, for my last bulk I was eating +3500 cals per day and I could not have hit that target without foods that others would consider "bad".

I just don't like cheese in my burger.. Haha
  • psuLemon
    Options

Simple solution, hamburger topped with an egg, and condiments :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

and bacon!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options

and bacon!

and avocado
  • psuLemon
    Options

and bacon!

and avocado

Hell yes to both of those!
  • Misscarpainter
    Misscarpainter Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i do love bacon!!
  • WillpowerBurton
    WillpowerBurton Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    @filbo132 I agree that MOST gainers are a waste of time/money. I use the cleanest gainer I could find and that is Mammoth Mass here in Canada.
    DO NOT rely on supplements for your nutritional needs though, they are meant to fill in the gaps in your nutrition. Just like filbo said, real food is key. If you eat CRAP, your results will be CRAP. Pretty basic.
    S'all about complex carbs, healthy fats and lean protein. It's pretty easy to make your own Clean Gainer.

DIY Lean & Clean Gainer:
    1. 1-2 servings Whey or other protein powder (protein)
    2. 1-2 cups milk (carbs/fat/protein)
    3. 1 tbsp unrefined raw cane sugar (carbs)
    4. 1 tbsp MCT oil (healthy fat)

Optional:
    • creatine powder
    • frozen fruit
    • kale/spinach
    • peanut butter
    • raw oats
    • hemp/chia/flax seeds

Check out my diary if you want ideas on how to eat HIGH-QUALITY, NUTRIENT-DENSE meals.
    I thought I was a "hardgainer" myself for YEARS, but now I KNOW that that label is more of a misconception or even an excuse than a real thing.

This video showed me the way: How To Gain Weight If You're Skinny by Jeff Cavaliere of Athlean-X.
  • Jesse2144
    Jesse2144 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Even I do love bacon!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

nailed it...

• Tonaayyy_285
    Tonaayyy_285 Posts: 35 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    During wrestling season, in order to maintain (which would be serious mass gain any other time of the year b/c of the amount of calories I burn training) I switch all my protein shakes to a serious mass gainer (I use MP Iron Mass) and up my food calories by about 800-1000 more a day than in the offseason. Taking in mainly extra protein. That may help if you have trouble gaining.