How do you get your protein?

mckant
mckant Posts: 217 Member
I'm not a big meat eater so I'm curious to see how everybody gets their protein.

Replies

• kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    I eat a lot of greek yoghurts/fromage frais, eggs, quinoa and nuts!
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    BEEF
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    meat, dairy, vegetables, legumes
  • blossomnu
    blossomnu Posts: 65 Member
    Greek yoghurt, Danio high protein yoghurts, nuts, hummous, eggs, quinoa, protein shakes, milk.
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    oatmeal, milk, yoghurt, eggs (whites), lentil & beans, cottage cheese, mozzarella, broccoli, protein bars, protein powder, cheese, tofu, soya, nuts &seeds
  • favorites are Premier protein shakes and greek yogurt but low fat cheese and chicken breast make an appearance at least 3Xweek
  • AnaCoffee
    AnaCoffee Posts: 95 Member
    Siggi Icelandic-style yogurt, dairy (if I'm not having a vegan day,) beans, tofu (I can only eat it pressed & then baked - such a difference in texture!,) nuts, eggs (rare because they're a trigger food for me,) and the occasional Morning Star Farms meat substitute item.

I still don't get nearly enough protein though and need to up it.
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Eggs, fish, nuts, tofu, yoghurt.
    Here's a helpful image of sources richest in protein: http://awkwardprotagonist.tumblr.com/post/55170506061
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Nuts! Almond butter tastes amazing. Replace the "P" in your PB&J with an "A." AWESOME.

Smoothies are a great way to sneak in protein, and not necessarily the powder. Almonds butter and nuts as mentions :)
  • ghostrider1970
    ghostrider1970 Posts: 127 Member
    Nuts! Almond butter tastes amazing. Replace the "P" in your PB&J with an "A." AWESOME.

Smoothies are a great way to sneak in protein, and not necessarily the powder. Almonds butter and nuts as mentions :)

Also cashew butter is amazing. Anyway, nuts adds a lot of fat too (good fats), so are not a good way to increase your protein intake if you are on calorie restriction.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Eggs, chicken, pork/ham, cheese, greek yogurt, legumes, quinoa, almonds, peanut butter, protein bars
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Vegetarian here. I get my protein from cake and pizza. No, seriously. I make protein cakes (no powder used) out of egg whites (great source of protein), coconut flour, almond milk, and splenda. I make pizza on a low carb/high protein pita and put 2tbsp marinara sauce and 2tbsp of cheese (adds a little more protein). The pizza is 112 calories and 9g protein (not the best source of protein, but I eat two or more a day so it adds up, plus I have trouble getting my fats in so this helps) and the cake is 127 calories and 14g protein.
  • dragoness07
    dragoness07 Posts: 22 Member
    Quinoa, nuts, seeds, wholemeal foods, beans, lentils lots of stuff out there to get your protein.:happy:
  • LuckyMunky
    LuckyMunky Posts: 200 Member
    Meat (lots of it,) beans, nuts, seeds, dairy and whole eggs.
  • AnaCoffee
    AnaCoffee Posts: 95 Member
    Vegetarian here. I get my protein from cake and pizza. No, seriously. I make protein cakes (no powder used) out of egg whites (great source of protein), coconut flour, almond milk, and splenda. I make pizza on a low carb/high protein pita and put 2tbsp marinara sauce and 2tbsp of cheese (adds a little more protein). The pizza is 112 calories and 9g protein (not the best source of protein, but I eat two or more a day so it adds up, plus I have trouble getting my fats in so this helps) and the cake is 127 calories and 14g protein.

Could you share your cake recipe, please? I don't use artificial sweeteners, but know I could easily substitute it with turbinado sugar or local honey. I have some almond milk to use up and this sounds great. I'm always low on my proteins.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Greek yogurt, nuts, milk, peanut butter, beans, tilapia, shrimp and tuna are my go to's for protein.
  • KY2022runner
    KY2022runner Posts: 72 Member
    Tasty animals!
  • aliceclutz90
    aliceclutz90 Posts: 151 Member
    Meat/poultry
    Fish
    Eggs
    Nuts
    Yogurt (greek/natural)
    Quark
    Whey protein powder