Can someone explain the macros pie chart please?

codeview
codeview Posts: 2 Member
I am a nutrition noob and new to MyFitnessPal. Trying hard to learn proper nutrition. Gotta start somewhere, right?

But I do not understand the macros pie chart and percentages in MyFitnessPal app :( I've been using if for 2 weeks now. Looking at mine from today (image below) I have 48% carbs, 26% fat and 26% protein. But the grams say 318g, 77g and 173g. How is 77g of fat the same percentage as 173g of protein? Where do the percentages come from?

cq4coszo5nxa.png

Replies

• SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member

Fat shows as less grams for the same percentage because there are more calories in fat than in carbs and protein. And the chart shows what percentage of your calories came from which macronutrients.

I wouldn't worry too much about your macro nutrient levels unless you have to watch them for health reasons. So long as you are feeling healthy and not hungry your percentages are probably fine.
  • codeview
    codeview Posts: 2 Member
    Oh! It's calories percent. Yikes. That is very poor user interface design, then. I had no idea :( Why not have the calorie counts listed on the macro screen as well. Thanks, Sophie. I'm doing a strength training program and trying to put on some muscle mass, so trying to get the protein intake up.