What am I doing wrong?

Options
Nightmare_Queen88
Nightmare_Queen88 Posts: 304 Member
I tried making some overnight oats and they didn't turn out the way I'd hoped. My recipe:
1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
2 Tbsp almond butter
1/2 cup oats
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
3/4 tsp ground flax seed

Obviously I'm doing something wrong. What can I do to make it better?

Replies

• Nightmare_Queen88
    Nightmare_Queen88 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    What do you mean by
    and they didn't turn out the way I'd hoped

The taste was horrible.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I don't understand what you mean either.

Doesn't sound like much liquid, though. Also, did you add the nut butter and flax and leave it overnight? I would have added that while (re)heating.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    What do you mean by
    and they didn't turn out the way I'd hoped

The taste was horrible.

Well, I don't like almond milk or yogurt in my oats. Especially the yogurt - is that what you would normally put in oats? Just use water, add the other stuff for flavor when you reheat.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Are you heating them or making refrigerator oats?

I usually use a 4:1 ratio of liquid to oats, but I use steel cut oats, not rolled oats

I like mine with nuts and fruit, so for example I will put the following in little crock pot at night and it's ready in the morning:

1 cup almond milk
    1/4 cup irish oats
    1/4 cup dried cranberries
    1/4 almonds
    pinch cinnamon, allspice, and/or pumpkin pie seasoning
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    If you're going for cold oats, you probably need something sweet in there - dried fruit, a shake of cinnamon sugar, sweetened coconut flakes, etc.

I would swap the ground flax for whole chia seeds (Not sure what whole flax seeds are like?) as that would thicken the mixture a bit as well. I would do the milk, seeds, oats & yogurt overnight, then mix in the almond butter in the morning and see what it was like. Powdered peanut butter might be better than "whole" almond butter as well.

~Lyssa
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Yummy life is the recipe I tried and it was good. Here is a link to her recipes: theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal
  • ciaomondo25
    ciaomondo25 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Not enough liquid! You need a 4:1 ratio and don't put in the almond butter until you're ready to eat it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Unless your almond butter had some kind of sweetener, you probably want to add something to sweeten it. I will sometimes put a teaspoon or so of maple syrup in my overnight oats (unless my plant milk is sweetened).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Definitely need some sweetener.

Also, I don't put Greek yogurt in my overnight oats anymore because it just makes it too sour (unless it's the flavored kind).
  • cricket490
    cricket490 Posts: 31 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I use vanilla coconut milk 1/2 cup, 1/2 cup old fashioned oats and 1/2 cup or more fruit - cut up. I have used bananas, peaches, strawberries, blueberries or blackberries all fresh. Each fruit gives the oats a different taste.

I tried adding yogurt but it was too thick for my taste.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Was it not sweet enough and/or was it too thick with terrible texture??
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    When I do overnight oats I have a base recipe of 20g old fashioned oats, 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk, 65g plain greek yogurt, 1 tsp chia seeds and one scoop either vanilla or chocolate protein powder depending on the flavorings I'm using. Then I add whatever I want. My favorites are apple pie spice and diced apples: pumpkin pie spice, pumpkin and maple syrup(with the vanilla), or coconut and crushed almonds with the chocolate.