Should you actually eat back your calories from exercise?

Options
13»

Replies

• terrinicolefit
    terrinicolefit Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    First of all, this 1,200 calories people are talking about.... not everyone is the same (different heights, weights, genders, exercise levels, body fat, goals, etc.) Not everyone should be eating 1,200 calories. I suggest using a macro calculator and figuring out your macros and caloric needs that way and adjusting it in MFP.

As for inputing your exercises and eating back your calories, it depends on what your goals are. If you are trying to lose weight, you should have a calorie deficit so no, you would not want to eat them back.

I also wouldn't rely on the amount of calories MFP gives you for exercises as not everyone is going to burn the same amount of calories doing whatever exercise. Our bodies are different and depending on your body (body fat, heart rate, intensity, etc.) will change how many calories you burn. I use my apple watch which always gives me a VERY different answer which I find more accurate than cardio equipment or MFP.

Just trying to provide some helpful insight to help you all reach your goals!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to lose weight then most probably not, although some like to eat back some of them- guess that's personal preference and depends on what your goal is too. I however don't :)
    MFP already accounts for weight loss in their formula though. Exercising reduces your NET calories and if it's too high, it can really reduce your metabolic rate.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    First of all, this 1,200 calories people are talking about.... not everyone is the same (different heights, weights, genders, exercise levels, body fat, goals, etc.) Not everyone should be eating 1,200 calories. I suggest using a macro calculator and figuring out your macros and caloric needs that way and adjusting it in MFP.

As for inputing your exercises and eating back your calories, it depends on what your goals are. If you are trying to lose weight, you should have a calorie deficit so no, you would not want to eat them back.
    It also depends on what the deficit is. If one is told to eat 1500 calorie to lose weight WITHOUT exercise, then adding exercise with say a burn of 500 calories would reduce the NET calories to 1000. Not ideal way to lose weight for most people.
    I also wouldn't rely on the amount of calories MFP gives you for exercises as not everyone is going to burn the same amount of calories doing whatever exercise. Our bodies are different and depending on your body (body fat, heart rate, intensity, etc.) will change how many calories you burn. I use my apple watch which always gives me a VERY different answer which I find more accurate than cardio equipment or MFP.

While true, many exercising calculators are within 50 calories +/- of each other, which isn't that big a deal. It's still more about CICO and where most people blow it is their intake.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

if you are doing MFPs NEAT method you do eat back calories, at least some of them,IF you do the TDEE or another method then no you wouldnt. MFP gives you your calorie deficit in the calorie goal when you set your activity level. exercising more gives a bigger deficit which is not always a good thing. you have to have enough nutrition and you have to fuel your body and your workouts.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

You have a (not just "a" but "the correct") calorie deficit before you exercise. After you go out and run 5k, you have too big a calorie deficit. It harms your ability to recover from that exertion. You used up a lot of energy, you sweat out some minerals, and you need to repair the damage to your muscles, which is protein intensive. You should eat
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    My sense is that MFP is too generous on it's calorie burns. To the rare extent that I exercise, I found that eating back about half of the estimated calorie burn comes out about right.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I don't eat back my calories for 2 reasons:

1) If you're consistent in your workouts and your eating, there's no need to eat back your calories -- you'll already know by your weight loss/gain whether you should be eating more or less food. Having manipulated my weight for several years, I already know how much to eat on any given day/week to reach my goals.

2) Everything we do here is an approximation. Even if you weigh all your foods, you're working with approximate numbers of calories. Nothing is exact, and even if it were, your body's efficiency level will vary slightly depending on various conditions. Eating back your calories just adds one more layer of inexactness.

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    I don't eat back my calories for 2 reasons:

1) If you're consistent in your workouts and your eating, there's no need to eat back your calories -- you'll already know by your weight loss/gain whether you should be eating more or less food. Having manipulated my weight for several years, I already know how much to eat on any given day/week to reach my goals.

2) Everything we do here is an approximation. Even if you weigh all your foods, you're working with approximate numbers of calories. Nothing is exact, and even if it were, your body's efficiency level will vary slightly depending on various conditions. Eating back your calories just adds one more layer of inexactness.

So you aren't following MFP's suggestion. That's fine. But you are accounting for exercise whether you intentionally do or not.
    MFP's calculation does not. You are giving advice for one method that is different than the one you are using.
  • Sapphire_Elf
    Sapphire_Elf Posts: 76 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Very interesting article on this subjectct, on this website that I found a while ago:

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/eating-back-calories-burned/

Whatever I try though my body hates me and i continually seem to gain and lose the same pound (157 to 158 and back again). :/
  • eIIekay
    eIIekay Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Eating the calories motivates me to exercise more. Without my exercise calories, I find I am hungry. If I'm not hungry, i don't eat them.
  • terrinicolefit
    terrinicolefit Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    While true, many exercising calculators are within 50 calories +/- of each other, which isn't that big a deal. It's still more about CICO and where most people blow it is their intake.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

For some people that may be the case, but when I input my exercise my MVP it said I burned almost 400 calories when in reality I burned closer to 100 and sometimes it's flipflopped.... I don't know... just feel better trusting my watch because it takes my heart rate, body fat percentage, age, height, weight, gender, etc. into account when MVP doesn't.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Camish911 wrote: »
    I agree that eating your exercise calories back defeats the purpose, but I will sometimes eat a small portion of them back. That's just a personal choice though. I've seen people vehemently argue both ways.

It doesn't defeat the purpose at all.

First, exercise builds and maintains your physical fitness. You'll look and feel better at each given weight if you exercise versus if you did not.

Second, it's as bad - actually probably worse - to lose weight too quickly than to lose too slowly. The more rapid your weight loss, the more you'll experience the negative effects of dieting, such as hunger, fatigue, muscle loss, or nutritional deficits. Weight loss is a controlled calorie restriction, the goal isn't to cut as much as possible without dying.

Last, by exercising you can increase the total amount you eat each day, which helps increase compliance and makes it a lot easier to stay on track.