Almonds and Raisins

Options
I gained a about 5 kilograms in the last year and have begun cutting down with the aim of losing it all. I started on MFPAL this week and have been eating a normal lunch each day. My breakfast and dinners have consisted of a small amount of roasted almonds and raisins each day.

I am currently eating well under the calories recommended on MFPAL but the raisins alongside my lunch is giving me too much sugar. Although the sugars are natural, is this likely to slow down weight loss even if I am controlling calories well? I am eating barely any snack/processed sugars...

Replies

• sourmash1973
    sourmash1973 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I gained a about 5 kilograms in the last year and have begun cutting down with the aim of losing it all. I started on MFPAL this week and have been eating a normal lunch each day. My breakfast and dinners have consisted of a small amount of roasted almonds and raisins each day.

I am currently eating well under the calories recommended on MFPAL but the raisins alongside my lunch is giving me too much sugar. Although the sugars are natural, is this likely to slow down weight loss even if I am controlling calories well? I am eating barely any snack/processed sugars...

As long as what your are eating fits in your calories for the day, eat it!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just a carb. As long as you're eating enough fats and protein, your carbs/sugar aren't particularly important unless you have a medical issue that requires carbs/sugar to be monitored.

However, it should be noted that fructose and sucrose can only be stored as liver glycogen and not muscle glycogen. The liver can hold 100-120g glycogen so anything more than that will be converted to triglycerides. As long as you still have a calorie deficit this will even out. Just try to make most of your carbs glucose and not sucrose or fructose. Fructose in particular has been shown to decrease exercise performance, increased likelihood of gastrointestinal distress, and increase perception of exertion.

Here are some studies:
    http://www.setantacollege.com/wp-content/uploads/Journal_db/the effects of glucose....pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3592616

As long as you're under your calorie goal, you'll lose weight. Some people find that sugar (even from fruit) causes them to have more sugar/carb cravings so keep that in mind.

For information on setting your macro target, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911011-calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs?page=1#posts-13821336
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating well under the recommended calories given to you on MFP? A calorie deficit is already built into your calorie alotment on MFP and you should be eating back at least 2/3 if not more of your exercise calories. If you eat too little, you could be setting yourself up for a binge or not eating the necessary calories for your body. How many calories are you eating a day and what is your height and weight?
  • pano2013
    pano2013 Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Perhaps 'well under' isn't accurate. I should have said 'safely under'. I'm 178cm and 86kg and I'm supposed to be eating 1790 per day...
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You're eating nothing but almonds and raisins for breakfast & dinner? :huh:

Don't worry about the sugar in raisins - where's your protein?? Almonds and raisins are snacks - not meals! Eat, man! I'm a 45 year old chick, I eat more than you do and am lose.
  • pano2013
    Options
    I'm eating chicken or meat for lunch every day to give me my protein...
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    You should eat more than just almonds and raisins for breakfast and dinner.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    You should eat more than just almonds and raisins for breakfast and dinner.
    OP could be eating a massive lunch.
  • pano2013
    Options
    Yeah, big lunch. Never that hungry at dinner or in the morning so I keep things small then.