Juice Cleanses

Options
Thinking of starting one for 1-3 days.
Any success stories? What did you gain/lose from this? Where did you get your juice from?How often do you do this cleanse?
Feel free to add any advice, suggestions! I'd love to hear from you guys.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    There's no need to cleanse if your liver and kidneys are working properly. Drink juice if you enjoy it, but there are no magical properties that come from it.
  • armstrongchloe
    armstrongchloe Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Juicing removes the fiber and leaves the sugar. It's not going to cleanse you because your body does that already. You likely feel "cleaned out" due to having zero solids in your body, but you're more likely to cause an imbalance to your gut bacteria that way. You'll likely drop a few pounds that will come back when you go back to putting solid food inside your body.

Makes sense lol
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I hear a radio ad for a cleansing product here that talks about getting rid of the "pounds of rotting food and toxic waste" we're supposed to have in our intestines. Apparently they've never heard of autopsies.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/gruesome/fecalcolon.asp
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, most people who want to do a cleanse are looking for a "reset" or a "jumpstart" to switch to a healthier diet.

The best advice if that's what you're looking for is... just start eating healthier!

By all means, run to the grocery and buy lots of fruits and veggies and start eating them. Google "healthy brown bag lunches" and get some ideas for stuff you can pre-make and have ready to grab-and-go for work lunches. If you want to use a juice or make smoothies to get more veggies than you would otherwise eat, then work it into your diet every day, rather than do a "cleanse". Start consistently logging your food and see where you are wasting calories. Sometimes seeing it in black-and-white makes it more real, and easier to plan ahead for. :drinker:
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    We don't do cleanses or special "diets" because we haven't heard about them or aren't tough enough. We don't do cleanses and diets because they don't work! Yes, you will lose some water weight and waste, but it will fill up after you start eating again. Trouble is, you won't go on to a healthier diet than before, or even your old diet, you'll most likely stuff yourself senseless to try to recover from the deprivation.

Replacing an extreme diet with another extreme diet, is never the solution. The change from extreme diet to normal diet can be extreme enough - but do it in increments and you'll hardly notice any difference.

Is it that you think you have to punish yourself for overindulging? Is it that a normal diet sounds so boring? Is it that you think ordinary food isn't healthy? I know I used to think I had to go to extreme measures, and the food that my parents and uncles and aunts ate, was so dull... I thought. I know better now. You can do amazing things with simple ingredients. Your taste buds will adapt to what you expose them to. I don't worry about regaining any more. I really want others to stop struggling and start enjoying eating, too.

Post of the year right here.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You don't need to cleanse, you body cleanses itself.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    I hear a radio ad for a cleansing product here that talks about getting rid of the "pounds of rotting food and toxic waste" we're supposed to have in our intestines. Apparently they've never heard of autopsies.

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/gruesome/fecalcolon.asp

OMG, I hear that commercial on the radio all the time and I have to change the channel! That line about the rotting food and toxic sludge always makes me laugh, but then I realize that people are actually believing them!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Nope nope nope. Just a waste of time and effort. Your insides don't need cleansing. That's just nonsense.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Some ppl gain weight from cleanses.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I like chewing so I don't juice.
  • kimmie2128
    kimmie2128 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I did a Dandelion Root Tea Detox before that I thought worked well. It's one tea bag, 1 Tbsp cranberry juice (sugar free), 1 lemon (just the juice). You need 8 cups of water and are to drink it every day for 7 days. So that's 8 cups/day. I feel like I'm not explaining it well, so if you want me to go more in depth I can :)

Also, remember detoxing isn't something that should be done all the time. Once every few months is ok, but don't do one every month or week or anything.
  • minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    kimmie2128 wrote: »
    I did a Dandelion Root Tea Detox before that I thought worked well. It's one tea bag, 1 Tbsp cranberry juice (sugar free), 1 lemon (just the juice). You need 8 cups of water and are to drink it every day for 7 days. So that's 8 cups/day. I feel like I'm not explaining it well, so if you want me to go more in depth I can :)

Also, remember detoxing isn't something that should be done all the time. Once every few months is ok, but don't do one every month or week or anything.

NO NO NO NO NO. .....
    JUST NO.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

The controversy comes in part because of the use of the term "detox," when that has nothing to do with anything.

The point of this one is that it's a diuretic, no?

See, e.g., http://www.heandsheeatclean.com/blog/2014/01/jillian-michaels-detox-water

The health issues can be discussed more easily when the real purpose/perceived benefit is fronted.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options

And this concoction did what exactly?

Also, which toxins did you specifically need to detox from?
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Thinking of starting one for 1-3 days.
    Any success stories? What did you gain/lose from this? Where did you get your juice from?How often do you do this cleanse?
    Feel free to add any advice, suggestions! I'd love to hear from you guys.

I don't think I've ever seen anything that indicates a measurable physical benefit from juice cleanses in terms of digestion or "cleaning out," especially as usmcmp mentioned above, juicing removes the fiber that is helpful for that. I do know people who have done something like this for the mental aspect, kind of along the same lines as people fasting for spiritual reasons, but again, no real physical benefits. More of a mental "spring cleaning" or "back to school" prep before buckling down on their diet.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Juicing removes the fiber and leaves the sugar. It's not going to cleanse you because your body does that already. You likely feel "cleaned out" due to having zero solids in your body, but you're more likely to cause an imbalance to your gut bacteria that way. You'll likely drop a few pounds that will come back when you go back to putting solid food inside your body.

Makes sense lol

If you want, concentrate on whole foods, lots of fiber and plenty of water. Learning to eat foods high in nutrients can give you a boost of energy and a feeling of accomplishment. But it's great to hear you are willing to listen.