Doctor's orders and HSA funding for a fitness program?

Options
I was speaking with a friend recently about memberships to fitness centers and access to programs. Until recently, I had been limited to Planet Fitness because it was the only place that could fit my schedule (4 am when nothing else was open). However, now that my schedule is a bit more flexible, I'm looking into my other options. When I'd remarked about making the cost of the other center work, my friend encouraged me to look into getting a doctor's note-could be a GP because I'm still classified overweight or my chiro because I have long-standing back issues- to enable me to pay for the membership or program through my HSA funds.

I've looked through the internet and the IRS website and its pretty basic info. IRS simply says yes, with a letter from a health professional.

Does anybody have any experience in this?

Replies

• Lannie79
    Lannie79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yes, weight loss programs including exercise programs are eligible if your doctor says it is medically necessary.
  • Sandra37405
    Sandra37405 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You can't include in medical expenses health club dues or amounts paid to improve one's general health or to relieve physical or mental discomfort not related to a particular medical condition. I'd get a note from the doctor stating the medical condition that requires the club membership before you sign up. (FYI, I'm a retired Revenue Agent - I did audits for the IRS)
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I have an HSA, but am not familiar with this. However, my insurance offers pretty deep discounts on a lot of the gyms in my area, as well as a rebate check every six months if you actually go to your gym 60 times in 6 months. The discount offered at my current gym through my insurance was about 40% off the actual monthly cost, and then I get a check every 6 months for $100 for going consistently. These things combined bring my monthly cost to about $18/month, which is comparable to the 10-19/month for Planet Fitness (at least that's how much it is in my area). Maybe reach out to your insurance company to see if they offer discounts on your local fitness centers?

A lot of people I work with were not/are not aware of this perk with our insurance, but I've had a few co-workers join my gym after bringing it up. We also get refunds if we complete fitness/health related courses. If you track daily while paying for WW, you get a discount. I've used this to lower the cost of personal training at my gym. I just need the gym and trainer to sign a form confirming that I made it to my sessions and a receipt of my payment and I get money back for it.

I had never thought of supplementing with my HSA though. You've got me curious now, as I have chronic illness which is considered a disability, and going to the gym is extremely helpful in managing my symptoms. Hmmm...something to look into!