Eating for fun?

Options
I know this sounds terrible but its true in my case! Since July 2015 i have gained 25 pounds and for my small 5'1 frame its hugeee and i feel terrible. :( But since i have been a stay at home mom for a year now in my small town where i know no one, the only time we have fun is when we go out to eat because there is nothing else to do here than go to restaurants. I hate it but i think thats where my over eating started. The most weight i lose this year was 6 pounds but i gained that back when we went on vacation and now i feel like im back to the beggining. I feel like all i ever do is start eating healthy only to fall back on my bad habits. Any tips?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I can't imagine there are no other fun things to do besides eating. Can't you play with your child, take her/him outside, look for other moms to chat with, go for walks, read books? Find something else that you like to do, that doesn't harm you. And you can lose weight eating at restaurants, and eating good food, just don't eat too much.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I went from never weighing over 180 to being nearly 220 pounds after having my first child. Being a stay at home parent can be incredibly isolating. I live 60 miles away from my closest proximity friend and 90 miles away from my family.

I've just had to take logging very seriously, find ways to connect with people, whether in person or online (I joined a book club at my library for example), and tell myself that I don't want to live like this. The good food tastes just as good, even when I'm eating less of it.

TL;DR- I've been there and it's tough but you can do this.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    As a foodie I totally feel for you. Almost all my social events center around food or beer. Even when I'm going to a concert I KNOW I'm gonna drink a ton of beer. It's so hard
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to find a hobby or interest. How active are you? One option would be to add exercise to help fill your time. Going hiking instead of eating is a good option. Or take a hike and then grab something to eat afterward. You could also join a gym or get exercise equipment to use at home, if it fits your budget.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Portions at the vast majority of American restaurants are way too large for me. I eat half an entree and take the rest home. If I want dessert I don't get an appetizer or vice versa.

Does your town have a library with activities? Might be something fun there. Is your child a year old or have you just been a SAHM for a year, and if that's the case, how old is your child? The libraries I've been to in Massachusetts always have activities for kids.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I feel for you and I'm not even in a small town! Summer break is brutal and I just don't know what to do with my kids most of the time (the heat doesn't help).
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Do an internet search for fun things to do. At least go to a park & grill. You can walk around / play while you are there.
  • Will_Run_for_Food
    Will_Run_for_Food Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Are there any team sports you could join? I joined a recreational dodgeball league and it's now my favourite thing!
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You can take a picnic to the park. Or look on meetup.com. Often there are SAHM groups on there you could join and do play dates. Also even if your town is small it must have a library. All of them have activities for babies/toddlers so you can go to that and your child can socialize with others too.
    I also have to add that I have 5 kids and often I will take them out to eat and not eat if it's not stuff I like. They love chick fil-A. I don't. So we all go there, they eat then tear up the indoor playground (apart from the tween who brings his iPad) and I feed the baby and eat later.