Swimming and CHARLIESSS.

Options
I have been a swimmer for almost 15 years. I used to swim varsity every day in high school, and then took a break for college, and now I am trying to get back into it. HOWEVER, I get a charlie horse in my calf almost every time I get in the pool now. This never happened previously. Do any of you guys have this same experience??

FYI: I am gluten free, I eat extremely clean, and I drink enough water to flood Africa.

Maybe I am just getting old :(

Replies

• rsdgirl
    rsdgirl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I find potassium to be a big help for cramping.

(I have been a competitive swimmer for 19 years)
  • blainemarie10
    blainemarie10 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Bananas are the only thing that help me.
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I will be very interested in the answers for this because it happens to me, too. It is painful! Could it be that we just haven't used these muscles in this way for, well in my case, a thousand years!?
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I swam competitively as well for many years. I was also going to suggest potassium. Are you on any new medications?
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I agree with the potassium assessment.
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Potassium, yes, and make sure you stretch properly prior to entering the water. Lean facing a wall at approx 60 to 45 degrees with heels flat to the ground and you will really help stretch those calf muscles prior to giving them a workout in the pool.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters, potassium and stretching. Another thing that might help is building calf strength. Try some strength training exercises to improve it. My trainer says weak muscles will also cause cramps.
  • ced1389
    ced1389 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    YAY for swimmers! I've been thinking about getting back into it as well. What kind of warm up are you doing? I agree with the potassium and stretching. Also, whenever you find time, do some calf raises (just randomly is fine). That helped me. You could just be getting used to the motion again... give it a little time. And make sure you're starting out SLOW.

Good luck :happy:
  • weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Hi all, thanks so much for your suggestions! I do eat bananas almost every day. I also try to run 3-4 miles a few days a week. I think for ME it might be the stretching issue. I rarely stretch before I get in the pool. I keep thinking, "but I didn't do that in high school!" but then I remember that was 10 years ago... :/

The only new medication I am taking now is thyroid, but I don't know if that would cause a charlie horse?

Thanks again!
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    YAY for swimmers! I've been thinking about getting back into it as well. What kind of warm up are you doing? I agree with the potassium and stretching. Also, whenever you find time, do some calf raises (just randomly is fine). That helped me. You could just be getting used to the motion again... give it a little time. And make sure you're starting out SLOW.

Good luck :happy:

Yes calf raises was the strength training exercise I was thinking of. The more strength the less cramps.
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Okay, you may think I'm crazy, but in addition to what everyone one else has posted......... While doing water aerobics, many of us would get cramps and the instructor told us to "pinch our lip" Yes, I know it sounds weird, but in many cases, for many of us, It really did work.......... you have to catch the cramp early...... We think it may be some sort of accupressure, but from experience I can tell you it kept me from getting leg cramps many a time!!
  • Shelby1582
    Shelby1582 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    not sure how to prevent them other than stretching and potassium but keep some tonic water handy. The quinine in it will get rid of the pain almost immediately. Not sure why but a doctor told me and it works. Chug a bunch when you get one or feel one coming on.