Just started and have to stop

Options
The last 2 days I've done Jillian Michaels body shred and haven't loved it but it's been ok. Well last night I got up to feed my baby and twisted my left knee funny and now it hurts I can barely walk! Oiy, I've had this happen a few times before, I've injured myself with 12 years of hockey and my knees twists easily.... So now I am watching what I'm eating even more and resting as much as possible....why when I start working out again this happens? Oiy life....

Replies

• Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Hope you feel better soon. Maybe you should wear a knee brace when you get back to physical activity.
  • CarolynCJ
    CarolynCJ Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that. I twisted my knee last year and had to stay off it for a month with hard brace as per Dr. When I went back he said use soft brace during workouts until it got stronger. The soft brace helped, it kept me aware of my form. Also I would use the full wrap around brace here and there when it felt sore. Be careful, check with your dr if need be and I hope you are back to your workouts soon!
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I was always hurting my knee when I first started working out. It got really depressing. Then it became a constant pain. My doctor gave me a list of exercises to do, which strengthened all of the muscles surrounding the knees (emphasis on every direction of hips, glutes/hamstrings, quads and core) to get the whole lower body and core stronger so things (i.e., knees) are supported and aligned properly. I did those exercises for several weeks (maybe 5?) and my problem was solved. I was even able to run. Maybe it will work for you too. I wrote it up here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/CorneliusPhoton

Also: I started Jillian's 30 day shred this week and the knee pain flared up again. I have since modified the jumping jack section to just running in place because JJs are just too stressful on my knees. Seems to have solved the problem. Good luck!
  • nikolausi88
    nikolausi88 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    From one injury prone person to another, I know how you feel....
    If you still want to be a little active, you could try googling some chair workouts.
    And once you're ready to get back, look into Jillian's beginner shred. It's also a 30 day program, but it's all low impact. I really enjoyed it as a beginner routine to build some level of basic fitness/ strength (I only did the video 3-4 times per week) and then eventually graduated to Fitnessblender.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    You can still lose weight with just calorie counting. If you just recently had a baby, you may still have some of relaxin hormone in your system from pregnancy which makes your ligaments more relaxed. This means it can be easier to get injured. If you are 6 weeks or less postpartum just wait on exercise besides walking for a little bit until your hormones chill out and you are fully healed. If it is further post partum than that, the injury is just a normal sleep deprived accident. Keep in your deficit (not too much if still nursing, you still need to add on 300-500 calories for nursing), and you can lose weight without exercise. You could add some upper body weights if it doesn't aggravate your injury.
  • PandaCustard
    PandaCustard Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You can still do upper-body exercises while your knee heals. There's tons of great, free videos on YouTube that are low-impact or focus on upper body so you're not further straining your knee. One of my favorites is jessicasmithtv. She has loads of great videos, some of which offer low-impact alternatives. Another thing that's nice to do is yoga, which is usually low-impact and helps stretch out tight areas that suffer from injury. I had a screwed-up right knee and left shoulder for years, and yoga helped make the crappy areas looser.
  • cwgrant67
    cwgrant67 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I was also going to recommend yoga! It helps keep me stretched out, I don't get hurt as much. I have double jointed ankles that pop out of joint after some bad sprains, I also walk on a rebounder. Seems to be better on my joints than walking on hard surfaces.