Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Synthesized Meat

Options

Replies

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Meat from a laboratory seems unappealing. I mean, I choose fresh, local tomatoes over hot house tomatoes with their waxy skins...If presented the choice between petri dish meat and beef from a cow....sorry Mr. Cow. I enjoy being at the top of the food chain.

I do like the idea of clean and sustainable, but....what kind of waste products would this lab made meat generate? You can't tell me it's all product and no waste or chemicals used in the process. That seems unlikely. There is always some kind of trade off. Even soylent green was people.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I still enjoy a good casserole, meatloaf, or even certain marinades from time to time, but I have found the preparation process to not be worth the relatively mild increase in flavor and/or change in texture. Some people love it. I find that on the whole, it's a total waste of time and effort, when the meat alone is just fantastic.
    I almost liken it to the blasphemy that is crap like maple flavored bacon, or any other sugared meat.

There is a cold place in hell for people who 'sugar cure' any kind of meat! All it really needs is a little sprinkle of salt and sometimes garlic (unless you are grilling it - then it needs full fat butter as a finisher!).

I like this: http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016707-brown-sugar-cured-salmon

The idea that it's unhealthy because of the sugar is mind-boggling to me, but YMMV, I suppose.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I still enjoy a good casserole, meatloaf, or even certain marinades from time to time, but I have found the preparation process to not be worth the relatively mild increase in flavor and/or change in texture. Some people love it. I find that on the whole, it's a total waste of time and effort, when the meat alone is just fantastic.
    I almost liken it to the blasphemy that is crap like maple flavored bacon, or any other sugared meat.

There is a cold place in hell for people who 'sugar cure' any kind of meat! All it really needs is a little sprinkle of salt and sometimes garlic (unless you are grilling it - then it needs full fat butter as a finisher!).

I like this: http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016707-brown-sugar-cured-salmon

The idea that it's unhealthy because of the sugar is mind-boggling to me, but YMMV, I suppose.

I don't find it unhealthy by any stretch.
    Ruinous to flavor, disrespectful of meat, and borderline blasphemous? Yes.
    Unhealthy? Not in the slightest. :)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    robininfl wrote: »
    But people don't need meat so it doesn't matter. Theres already plenty of meat-like substitutes out there. Your question is irrelevant.

That's not the question - those are made from plants and eggs and other grown foods - he's asking if there was a way to create food from waste, create food from the constituent atoms without growing it in or on the earth, would you eat this?

Even plant foods are harming the environment, at least where I live. Fertilizer runoff is killing the rivers, lakes, and to some extent the oceans. Pesticides are killing the bees, and using so much land for cultivation reduces the wilderness available to animals and other plants.

I don't ever want a future with NO natural foods, but if we could scale it back to a sustainable level that would be fantastic.

The easiest way to scale it back would be less people = less people having kids. Which totally isn't happening because people think they need to make 5 more of themselves.

The fertility rate is not anywhere near 5, especially not in the US or Europe (or many other places). Here are the relevant stats:

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP.DYN.TFRT.IN

Worldwide=2.5, and it's been consistently declining. Canada 1.6, UK 1.8, US 1.9.

And not to mention how many babies are murdered (after birth) in countries where there is a cap on how many people can have. If the original quote's poster is saying that's easier than seeing if you can create meat... But I did listen to a Ted Talk once that theorized that the human population would cap at 9.1B naturally. I don't remember the reasoning, but I do remember it seemed sound.

I myself am not sure about the fake meat. One one hand it makes a lot of environmental sense. On another it seems weird, and so difficult to prove there are no consequences to eating it. Also, a lot of people would lose their livelihoods (there's a lot of farming around me - animal and grains for animals). So I kind of wonder what would happen to the economy. I would probably try it at least once.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Meat from a laboratory seems unappealing. I mean, I choose fresh, local tomatoes over hot house tomatoes with their waxy skins...If presented the choice between petri dish meat and beef from a cow....sorry Mr. Cow. I enjoy being at the top of the food chain.

I do like the idea of clean and sustainable, but....what kind of waste products would this lab made meat generate? You can't tell me it's all product and no waste or chemicals used in the process. That seems unlikely. There is always some kind of trade off. Even soylent green was people.

I don't think so...Everything is its molecules. I don't know that the tech will ever exist, but all an onion is made of is dirt and sunshine, right? It's a little machine to turn dirt and energy into an onion. Cows are made of grass (or I guess now they are made of corn and other cows and whatever else they are fed, but you get the idea). Everything is made of everything else already. The star trek replicator just disassembles all the used stuff and waste into some sort of atom soup then builds that back up into the same structures that are food or plates or paint, whatever it's making. Like the world does now.

What would be missing is LIFE. I do not know if that would make a difference - is food somehow more nutritious because it was alive? Beyond its material nature? I would guess no, but really don't know.
  • LokiGrrl
    LokiGrrl Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I think I'd probably have the same attitude I do to e-books. E-books are fantastic and I love being able to just take my phone with an entire library on it instead of having to have 2-3 books in my bag at all times; however, there are times when I want to hold a real book in my hands, so I still have LOTS of them. Call me crazy, but looking at all the books in my Kindle library does not compare to the smile it puts on my face when I look up and see the leather-bound special edition of LOTR (gift from an old friend) on my shelf.

So tl;dr I'd probably eat the lab-grown meat day to day *if* it tasted good, but I'd still want to be able to get the real thing on the regular for completely idiosyncratic reasons.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time believing they could make meat in a lab the same as real meat. The crap they make in labs today that people consume doesn't react the same way as real food in our bodies. I can however see the future being full of chemical food and it make people sick (sicker than we are already becoming)....but I'll be dead and gone. My contribution to the future is to try to keep that from happening by not having 20 kids and supporting organic sustainable farming, food and products.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    In 2008, PETA offered a $1 million prize to the first company to bring lab-grown chicken meat to consumers by 2012
    Shmeat is a nickname given to lab-created meat grown from a cell culture of animal tissue.[19][20] The etymology of this usage is the combination of “sheet” and “meat.”
    ^^ just found that funny for some reason
    1. Would it be kosher?
    2. Can muslims eat this?
    Right now, they are guessing this meat without texture (mush) could sell for double the cost of regular meat someday. Woohoo.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    It's already being developed. I am also sure many vegans, Peter Singer included, would eat it. Next question . . .
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    If it was cheaper, as cheap, or not too much more expensive than regular meat, hell yes. I'd love to give up less ethically raised meats.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    This presumes we know how food works. We're still in the infancy stage of that knowledge.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    People are already freaking out over GMOs and wanting everything to be natural. Can you imagine how much people are going to freak out over the idea of synthetic meat? I'm pretty such it'll be linked to cancer too. In a rat study of course.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Heh... If I smelled of crickets, I have no doubt my beardies and leos (and possibly tarantulas and scorpion) would take a chomp out of me.
    Are you kidding? H-E-L-L to the YES, if this could help repopulate the oceans with fish, stop the overfishing, reduce factory farming so that instead of the choice between factory farmed and fancy gently raised heritage meats we had lab grown and fancy gently raised heritage meats?

Yes.

And I have wanted a star trek style replicator since I was a little girl. I just want to be able to throw all the household waste into a big machine that deconstructs it into atoms then assembles whatever we need. Clean water, new clothes, ingredients for food, whatever. Self cleaning carpets, self cleaning walls. Safety foam in the car. Yes.

I want this. And think it's about the most optimistic possible future of all.
    Yes to this, absolutely.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    But people don't need meat so it doesn't matter. Theres already plenty of meat-like substitutes out there. Your question is irrelevant.

That's not the question - those are made from plants and eggs and other grown foods - he's asking if there was a way to create food from waste, create food from the constituent atoms without growing it in or on the earth, would you eat this?

Even plant foods are harming the environment, at least where I live. Fertilizer runoff is killing the rivers, lakes, and to some extent the oceans. Pesticides are killing the bees, and using so much land for cultivation reduces the wilderness available to animals and other plants.

I don't ever want a future with NO natural foods, but if we could scale it back to a sustainable level that would be fantastic.

The easiest way to scale it back would be less people = less people having kids. Which totally isn't happening because people think they need to make 5 more of themselves.
    Heck even better would be just to clone ourselves and let the other entity die off from age.
    But no I wouldn't eat the lab grown meat, meat isn't even healthy for you in the amounts people eat and I assume animals would still be used in the process.
    Link to your opinion? How is the health measured? It's mentioned that BIOPSIES from animals are used. Hardly hurting them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I've longed for a long time for a plastic cup filled with a liquid that [is] almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea.

You sound like a hoopy frood who really knows where her towel is.

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Cupcakes of cricket flour, and whatever that goopy crap is on top? Hmm.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Heh... If I smelled of crickets, I have no doubt my beardies and leos (and possibly tarantulas and scorpion) would take a chomp out of me.
    Are you kidding? H-E-L-L to the YES, if this could help repopulate the oceans with fish, stop the overfishing, reduce factory farming so that instead of the choice between factory farmed and fancy gently raised heritage meats we had lab grown and fancy gently raised heritage meats?

Yes.

And I have wanted a star trek style replicator since I was a little girl. I just want to be able to throw all the household waste into a big machine that deconstructs it into atoms then assembles whatever we need. Clean water, new clothes, ingredients for food, whatever. Self cleaning carpets, self cleaning walls. Safety foam in the car. Yes.

I want this. And think it's about the most optimistic possible future of all.
    Yes to this, absolutely.

Teehee! I know what you mean about the cricket thing, they STINK! I tried to raise my own, really bad idea :)
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Heck even better would be just to clone ourselves and let the other entity die off from age.
    But no I wouldn't eat the lab grown meat, meat isn't even healthy for you in the amounts people eat and I assume animals would still be used in the process.
    Link to your opinion? How is the health measured? It's mentioned that BIOPSIES from animals are used. Hardly hurting them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Link to opinion?

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    People on Star Trek were not taken aback by food from soil or animals.

I'm not vegan or vegetarian but yeah, I'd eat the replicator food if it were truly proved "incontrovertibly safe".

Edit: provided it tasted good, of course.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I'd rather eat either actual animal / fish meats than something created in a lab. Or I'd even prefer a vegan diet than something created in a lab.