Gym Fat Mirrors

Options
2»

Replies

• Ben_there_done_that
    Ben_there_done_that Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Man, I wish my gym had crazy mirrors. I want the ones they have at the Disney Land haunted mansion. Have a silly ghost appear next to you, while you pump some iron.
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    The mirror at my gym makes me look old, and it makes my hair look funny too...in fact, it makes me actually look that way, because when I go home to my own mirror, I look that way!! ;-)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you want to test the curvature of a mirror, just get something long with a flat edge (like a ruler) to see if it lays completely flat. If there is a gap, the mirror is curved.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I don't have the skinny/fat mirror issue I have the good hair/bad hair mirror (probably more to do with lighting). I'll be in the locker room getting ready for work, cool, my hair looks pretty good. Then get to work (one minute drive) and check myself in the bathroom mirror and it's dull, lifeless, frizzy, terrible looking. Like, every other day.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    quit looking in the gym mirrors and work harder, run faster, lift more, etc.

problem solved.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    lsutton484 wrote: »
    quit looking in the gym mirrors and work harder, run faster, lift more, etc.

problem solved.

I run faster/harder when I am on a treadmill in front of a mirror (or in my gym's case a very reflective window). It helps me to focus on my own badassery.
  • _dixiana_
    _dixiana_ Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It just means the mirror is old and bending or not properly mounted...they aren't actually fat or skinny mirrors

Actually there are clothing stores that know how to work this to their advantage...so they may not be technically "skinny" mirrors, but they have that effect and it ups their sales.
  • _dixiana_
    edited October 2016
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Oh there are definitely fat and thin mirrors. There are a few stores where I don't try on clothes because their mirrors are really unflattering. It's like that episode of Seinfeld when he goes out with the woman who looks great in one light and then horrible in another.

Last weekend we stayed in a hotel suite. I walked through the kitchen area, over toward the bathroom, and said "Oh my!" My husband asked what was going on and I said "this is the best mirror ever. I look great in it!" :smiley: It was a super flattering mirror for some reason.

There is a mirror in my aunt's bathroom that I had this same reaction to. I went to wash my hands, glanced in the mirror and was like "DANG, I look fabulous". I think it was the lighting in there too. Made the highlighting powder I had on that day really pop.

The opposite is true for the mirror at my salon. I look like a troll in it. They really need to work on that.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I just like to stand where two mirrors meet, then I look distorted and usually weirdly skinny :)
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Alidecker wrote: »
    I just like to stand where two mirrors meet, then I look distorted and usually weirdly skinny :)

Yeah, our elevator doors at work make me look fat, and the walls next to them are mirrored and look skinny, I like to go back and forth, back and forth.

Most all mirrors seem to be fat mirrors for me, I guess it's dysmorphia. The Fiance took a picture of me when I wasn't paying attention, and my body looked like one I'd want, not like what I see in the mirror, it was really odd. I had always figured that I saw what it really looks like, but even when I take a picture myself it doesn't work the same way somehow.
  • bepeejaye
    bepeejaye Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of the vehicle side mirror warning, "objects in (the) mirror are closer than they appear." :D:D
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    No mirrors in the new gym but I do own a skinny mirror.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    _dixiana_ wrote: »
    Oh there are definitely fat and thin mirrors. There are a few stores where I don't try on clothes because their mirrors are really unflattering. It's like that episode of Seinfeld when he goes out with the woman who looks great in one light and then horrible in another.

Last weekend we stayed in a hotel suite. I walked through the kitchen area, over toward the bathroom, and said "Oh my!" My husband asked what was going on and I said "this is the best mirror ever. I look great in it!" :smiley: It was a super flattering mirror for some reason.

There is a mirror in my aunt's bathroom that I had this same reaction to. I went to wash my hands, glanced in the mirror and was like "DANG, I look fabulous". I think it was the lighting in there too. Made the highlighting powder I had on that day really pop.

The opposite is true for the mirror at my salon. I look like a troll in it. They really need to work on that.

I think it's a rule that even if you're spending $200 on a haircut, the mirror in your salon will make you look like a haggard, moon-faced insomniac gremlin that died a week previously. I don't know what it is but I NEVER feel so hideous as I do in a salon chair...some unholy combination of black cape, bright lighting, wet hair, and bad mirrors? I'm very fair-skinned and so I know I'm not at my best with a ton of white light and black clothing, but still, I never look like that in my bathroom at home somehow.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Sara1791 wrote: »
    No mirrors in the new gym but I do own a skinny mirror.

You know what's weird about the mirror we own that's a fat mirror now? It used to be my grandmother's. Back in the day, when it hung in her bathroom, it was known in the extended family for being a skinny mirror. I don't know if it's warped over time or what (this thing is over 40 years old at this point), but it's changed for sure. I'm constantly surprised when I see myself in other mirrors and in pictures.
  • _dixiana_
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    _dixiana_ wrote: »

I think it's a rule that even if you're spending $200 on a haircut, the mirror in your salon will make you look like a haggard, moon-faced insomniac gremlin that died a week previously. I don't know what it is but I NEVER feel so hideous as I do in a salon chair...some unholy combination of black cape, bright lighting, wet hair, and bad mirrors? I'm very fair-skinned and so I know I'm not at my best with a ton of white light and black clothing, but still, I never look like that in my bathroom at home somehow.

I'm not alone, hooray!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Alidecker wrote: »

\o/ there's a border between mirror panels right in front of the rack at my place. between sets i like to move myself around so just one thigh is dissected and say 'this is the look that you're headed towards'.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    My gym has one that's a skinnier one- the rest are normal looking.

#notmadatit
  • ericwhitt
    ericwhitt Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I think it was Shark Tank where a woman went on trying to sell skinny mirrors. Her business plan was to sell skinny mirrors to clothing stores to try and sell more merchandise.