Can someone please explain...

Options
BMR and TDEE??? I used a calculator online and here are my numbers:

BMR: 1461
TDEE: 1753
So what does this mean?

Let's say I don't work out this week...where should my calorie intake goal be for weight loss??? And where should it be if I work out 3-4 times a week (burning about 300-400 cal per workout)??

*Edit: I'm currently eating 1500 cal per day

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is what your body would burn if you were in a coma.

TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) is what your body burns during normal activity during the day. If you set this to Sedentary, you get what you could eat to maintain your current weight.

It is not recommended to eat below your BMR, this is because your body will start losing lean muscle mass at a higher ratio to fat loss.

I think 1500 sounds perfect, please remember to log and eat back your exercise calories as 1500 calories is what you'd need on a day with zero exercise to lose weight.

If you feel that MFP is overestimating your caloric burn on exercises, you may adjust to eat back between 50%-80%. I currently eat back 80% of my exercise calories.
  • BoxerLover96
    BoxerLover96 Posts: 82 Member
    Options

TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) is what your body burns during normal activity during the day. If you set this to Sedentary, you get what you could eat to maintain your current weight.

It is not recommended to eat below your BMR, this is because your body will start losing lean muscle mass at a higher ratio to fat loss.

I think 1500 sounds perfect, please remember to log and eat back your exercise calories as 1500 calories is what you'd need on a day with zero exercise to lose weight.

If you feel that MFP is overestimating your caloric burn on exercises, you may adjust to eat back between 50%-80%. I currently eat back 80% of my exercise calories.

Thank you for that!!

Ok so if 3500 calories is a pound...then I'm only losing about 1/2 pound a week if I don't work out and eat 1500 calories a day right? (TDEE-1500=253x7=1771) So what happens if I eat back half of my calories burned through exercise...do I only calculate the part I don't eat back?
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options

Thank you for that!!

Ok so if 3500 calories is a pound...then I'm only losing about 1/2 pound a week if I don't work out and eat 1500 calories a day right? (TDEE-1500=253x7=1771) So what happens if I eat back half of my calories burned through exercise...do I only calculate the part I don't eat back?

(Calorie intake) minus TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure --- Which includes all exercise) = Net cals
    If Net Cals is a negative you are losing weight
    Examples:
    Non workout day: 1500 cals in - 1750 TDEE = -250 net
    Workout day: 1800 cals in - 2050 TDEE = -250 net
    Helping a friend move up 6 flights of stairs day, so you ate pizza: 2500 cals in - 2750 TDEE = -250 net

The main reason you want to workout while trying to lose weight is to help you keep, and tone up, the muscle that is hidden under the fat.
    The secondary reason is so you can go to the Brazilian place with endless meat and still lose weight.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options

Thank you for that!!

If you are petite or very close to your goal weight (within 10 lbs usually) your weight loss is going to be slower and a .5lb per week loss is perfectly normal and sustainable.

So lets say you think MFP overestimated your burn, you worked out and it said you burned 800 calories, you think you probably only burned 400 (getting a Heart Rate Monitor will help with this) You would then eat 1500+400=1900 calories that day because...

1900-400=1500 your NET calorie goal, same deficit to lose weight as not exercising and just eating 1500.
  • BoxerLover96
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification!!!

*Edit: I would love to drop about 20lbs
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    (I'm a boxer Mom myself, by the way...love the breed!). As long as you NET above your BMR each day, you'll be okay. If you workout that day, go higher. If you don't, at least net your BMR. :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Great explanation here, as well as great info on getting your numbers all set up: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Best move I ever made was understanding all the info there (actually the full version of the topic - there's a link there for it) and putting it into practice - had my best success with losing the fat since then, and over 18 months later, still going strong. :bigsmile:
  • BoxerLover96
    Options
    (I'm a boxer Mom myself, by the way...love the breed!). As long as you NET above your BMR each day, you'll be okay. If you workout that day, go higher. If you don't, at least net your BMR. :)

I just love them!!
  • BoxerLover96
    Options
    Great explanation here, as well as great info on getting your numbers all set up: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Best move I ever made was understanding all the info there (actually the full version of the topic - there's a link there for it) and putting it into practice - had my best success with losing the fat since then, and over 18 months later, still going strong. :bigsmile:

Thanks for the link!!!