Workout and low energy

Options
I'm trying to figure out why every time I start to workout I always lose energy rather than gain? I have tried eating more calories or carbs or protein or all of the above. Slowly working my way into fitness or jumping right in.... I always have low energy anytime I get a fitness routine going and I always quit.

All I want to do is eat low calorie (healthy) and be active.

Is it just cuz I really hate working out now? I used to love it a few years ago but became obsessed and was diagnosed with "sports anorexia" and since then I can't get back into it.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    we need more info. like how much of a deficit are you in? how long are you working out? what types of things are you doing when you workout/what's a typical workout? how's your sleep?
  • babypunkprincess
    babypunkprincess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    we need more info. like how much of a deficit are you in? how long are you working out? what types of things are you doing when you workout/what's a typical workout? how's your sleep?

Well I've tried 1200 calories a day to 2000 calories a day. With eating back burned calories to not. I've done general short strength training sessions to circuit training. Right now I'm trying Jillian Michaels body shred. Typically I burn 200-300 calories a workout. Normally light cardio doesn't bother me but weights do... Even if I try to ease into it. I sleep pretty good, it varies now with a month old baby but I've had this problem for years.

I've done short 12 minute workouts to an hour at a time.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Since it appears you just had a baby, have you tried getting a checkup from a doctor. You could be deficit on iron or vitamin d.

Also, can you open your diary? Are you still losing weight?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Well I've tried 1200 calories a day to 2000 calories a day. With eating back burned calories to not. I've done general short strength training sessions to circuit training. Right now I'm trying Jillian Michaels body shred. Typically I burn 200-300 calories a workout. Normally light cardio doesn't bother me but weights do... Even if I try to ease into it. I sleep pretty good, it varies now with a month old baby but I've had this problem for years.

so you've tried loads and loads of different things for a very short period of time?

While you're doing body shred (presumably that's 30 days?), stick to a reasonable calorie goal and see how you feel in a months time.

Are you getting enough iron in your diet?

• babypunkprincess
    Options

so you've tried loads and loads of different things for a very short period of time?

While you're doing body shred (presumably that's 30 days?), stick to a reasonable calorie goal and see how you feel in a months time.

No. Normally I tried for a couple weeks, like I said this has been a problem for years. Body shred is 60 days and I'm eating 1500 cals (not breast feeding). I should be getting enough iron, I'm not a big meat eater but my multi vitamin is jam packed.

I'm starting to wonder if it's a mental thing since I like to be out and be active with walking, swimming, roller blading and I love hiking and my energy levels are through the roof when I do those things as opposed to just working out.
  • psuLemon
    Options

No. Normally I tried for a couple weeks, like I said this has been a problem for years. Body shred is 60 days and I'm eating 1500 cals (not breast feeding). I should be getting enough iron, I'm not a big meat eater but my multi vitamin is jam packed.

I'm starting to wonder if it's a mental thing since I like to be out and be active with walking, swimming, roller blading and I love hiking and my energy levels are through the roof when I do those things as opposed to just working out.

How much weight are you losing on average at 1500 calories?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

you've answered your question then... do exercise you enjoy. that's the first rule of any successful workout plan!
  • babypunkprincess
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

.5-1 lbs a week

• psuLemon
    edited July 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

.5-1 lbs a week

I would probably get a blood test to see if you have any low levels, which isn't too uncommon postpartum.