Food and exercise and weight loss question.

Options
2»

Replies

• scifiguy770
    scifiguy770 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am in agreement under eating is the issue ..... The diary's inaccuracies are there but negligible. I have found the answer ( eat more calorie dense foods ). I am a true believer eating to little is my issue . The only question I have left is should I slowly up my calories like 300 per week? Or just go up 600-900 this week?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Try to do it gradually so you don't get turned off by the process. If you add in 900 calories right away, it may be too much too fast and you could get turned off and go back to under eating.
  • scifiguy770
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Lol I'm not like that I have endless will power I only lack experiance and knowledge but sure slow and steady it is!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    You may see a small spike on the scale when you up calories, it's not fat gain so don't panic, it will normalise again as your body adjusts. It'll just be water from more carbs and replenishing glycogen stores and more food waste in the system.

Add in 100 per day until you get up to a 1lb per week loss, that's all you should aim for at this point or you're going to obliterate lean mass, not a good thing.

Don't be afraid to use oil and butter to cook with too, a really easy way to add calories without volume. Same with oily dressings and sauces. Little volume but good calorie content.
  • scifiguy770
    Options
    So adding peanuts and almonds i am easily adding calories , however my fat macro goes way up!
    I've researched and it seems recommended macros are.
    ( I'm not sure if this is based on current weight or ideal weight my current is 200 my ideal is 179 )
    Protein 1-1.5 grams per pound j3fukish4vsc.png
    mouo1tq1dxhj.png

Carbs 1-3 grams per pound
    Fat .02/.03-.5 per pound

I've been keeping carbs around 100g a day. Seems like Anouther mistake.
    Even with eating lots of protein my protein is 175g per day average.
    My fat was 25-35 grams a day average
    3 servings of nuts 500 cals doubles that.
    Any macro advice would be appreciated....my stats
    39/m 6'2 about 16-18% BF
    I can do high intensity cardio ( jogging steps ) for about an hour. This has really sculpted my body .... However it adds 700-1000 extra cal deficient and I ussually get 90 min of after burn ( fat burn heart rate ) even sitting watching tv. See pic below
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    So adding peanuts and almonds i am easily adding calories , however my fat macro goes way up!
    I've researched and it seems recommended macros are.
    ( I'm not sure if this is based on current weight or ideal weight my current is 200 my ideal is 179 )
    Protein 1-1.5 grams per pound j3fukish4vsc.png
    mouo1tq1dxhj.png

Carbs 1-3 grams per pound
    Fat .02/.03-.5 per pound

I've been keeping carbs around 100g a day. Seems like Anouther mistake.
    Even with eating lots of protein my protein is 175g per day average.
    My fat was 25-35 grams a day average
    3 servings of nuts 500 cals doubles that.
    Any macro advice would be appreciated....my stats
    39/m 6'2 about 16-18% BF
    I can do high intensity cardio ( jogging steps ) for about an hour. This has really sculpted my body .... However it adds 700-1000 extra cal deficient and I ussually get 90 min of after burn ( fat burn heart rate ) even sitting watching tv. See pic below

you can go to IIFYM.com and they have macro calculators where you input your info. that may help you out. I would say you need more fat in your diet that seems awfully low. as for the fat burn heart rate that really has no bearing on weight loss or calories burned from what I have been told by many here. I was always told to ignore that. you burn calories with exercise period and heart rate has not much to do with it. you can get scared or have an asthma attack(for example) to where your heart rate jumps, doesnt mean you are burning fat.you can only burn so much fat a day as it is(forget the percentage).
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    You will need to find the macro split that suits your needs, as everyone is different. I do well with high fat because I find I am satisfied with less and it keeps me fuller longer. It is my way of keeping my calorie deficit.

Everyone is different. You may need to experiment a little to see what works for you. As long as you are nourishing your body, then any split is fine.
  • scifiguy770
    Options
    So it doesent matter the mix as long as you have a deficient you won't store fat you will lose it?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    So it doesent matter the mix as long as you have a deficient you won't store fat you will lose it?

as long as you have a deficit you should in fact lose weight.
  • scifiguy770
    Options
    Thank you all! This community has been so supportive!