Advise please

Right, I've basically lost 14lb in the last 4 months with my SO. I've reached my goal whilst she's still losing. I'm looking to maintain my weight and still supporting my other half... How do I successfully increase my calories without just eating crap? I've tried increasing meal times foods, but I struggle to eat that much more without feeling bloated and uncomfortable... Advise please :-)

Replies

• thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    It would be easier to give advice if you open up your diary to public, that way we can see what you're already doing.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Add a snack in, eat full fat dairy, and my favourite suggestion... peanut butter!!!
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Nuts
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Stop thinking about food you like as "crap"? Just don't overeat?
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,112 Member
    Listen to your body. If it feels full then it probably is. You may continue to lose but sooner or later you will hit a steady weight & it will get easier to fuel it with-out feeling bloated...
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Losing 14 pounds in 4 pounds: averages about 400/day deficit. Which is not alot when you think about it. Have you switched to low fat/no fat/lower calorie options anywhere? If so, switch some of the back to regular. Have you cut out certain food categories/treats? Eat them occasionally. Replace a snack or two with higher calorie items. Have a banana instead of grapes. Add avocado to a sandwich. Drink a glass of orange juice.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Add a snack in, eat full fat dairy, and my favourite suggestion... peanut butter!!!

Yep, peanut is always my first thought :lol: Stay from anything labeled lite/diet/low fat.

• zenakerby
    zenakerby Posts: 12 Member
    you don't have to eat any additional "crap" just eat the same way you did before when you both were losing, but just increase your portion sizes to keep your support strong!
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    xbowhunter wrote: »
    Listen to your body. If it feels full then it probably is. You may continue to lose but sooner or later you will hit a steady weight & it will get easier to fuel it with-out feeling bloated...

I agree!!!
  • finchi82
    finchi82 Posts: 6 Member
    Thank-you guys, I appreciate the ideas! I'll buy in nuts and full fat milk! I think it all makes sense, but it's knowing what I could be like before, and just binge eating carbs. I'm happy with how I am at the moment, but want to maintain so I can hit the gym and tone up when I'm confident I won't go over the top, or jeopardise the other half :smile:
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    I would say very slowly increase calories over time until you're up until maintenance. Small increments in portions, slightly more fats, etc.
  • finchi82
    finchi82 Posts: 6 Member
    I've no idea if anyone still reads this, but so far I've managed to maintain. I've increased my calories slowly with fruit and the odd treat! Fingers crossed it keeps up! Thank!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    finchi82 wrote: »
    I've no idea if anyone still reads this, but so far I've managed to maintain. I've increased my calories slowly with fruit and the odd treat! Fingers crossed it keeps up! Thank!

Yeah! and the odd treat fits.. I know that is a good feeling! :):)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    As said above: add a snack or increase portion size slightly. No need to eat "crap" to slow your loss down.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited August 2016
    finchi82 wrote: »

This is what I've done, just add in snacks and then full fat options for my meals (most of the time). So things like almonds, peanut butter, regular bread for my sandwiches (instead of low-cal bread), regular mayo (instead of lite), beef jerkey (lots of protein, not lots of calories), fruit, etc. Maintenance can be tougher than losing since its not linear and there's no "goal" anymore.

Try changing up some of your goals from weight loss numbers to health/fitness goals. That really helped me make the mental switch inside my head.

Good luck, and congrats on the loss!