Weight loss, recomp alternating.

I used to be 180 pounds, which I considered myself skinny fat. I have unfortunately gained 50 pounds since then, which is not a massive change as I can still fit in my clothes, I am not happy. For reference I am 6'5", 35/M. I have a neurological disease that affects my muscles (extreme weakness), so I don't have much muscle tone, although I have no problem picking my 40 lb 3.5 y/o up above my head, or carrying a 50 lb dog food bag over my shoulder. Heck, I can even carry two 50 lb bags of cement at once.

I am going to lose this weight right this time. When originally losing weight, my mindset was to lose as quickly as possible, no exercise though since I can't really do it in my condition. I can however work my muscles, just not any form of cardio.

My plan, if anyone thinks it's a good idea, is to do a diet/recomp? alternating routine. I am thinking about dedicating M/W/F to strength training with resistance bands, eating around 200 calories above maintenance, then eating at a 1k calorie deficit the other 4 days. I figure I should lose about a pound a week.

I plan on doing upper body on Monday, core on Wednesday, and lower body on Friday, while dieting the other days.

Does this sound like a healthy plan, something that is doable? Would I see better results this way in regards to body composition? I know I won't be gaining muscle like crazy, but should I be able to build some muscle this way? I want to eventually hit my goal of 180 and have a leaner body than I did when I only dieted and did no form of exercise.

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited July 2016
    Recomp does not work like this and recomp is very very slow for muscle building. You still have 50 pounds to loose? I think you should loose it first then go into maintenance everyday (maintenance calories only or with a very slight deficit if you still have left over fat to loose).

Right now my best advice: Eat at a calorie deficit every day, do your strength training program according to your plan, and make sure you eat a good amount of protein in your diet while eating at a calorie deficit. I would look into some sort of total body program to do three days a week though.

This calorie cycling idea is great for those that are lifting regularly and wanting improve body composition i.e doing a full recomp, or even a bulk cycle. But totally not necessary!

I think you will end up very frustrated with this process. But you can really do any thing you choose to and however you want to do it!

edited to add: you may be interested in this thread. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat

• duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 403 Member
    Yeah, I know nothing about recomp other than a few things I've read online. I thought it was too good to be true, thanks for saving me the time and effort.

I had originally planned to recomp when I hit 180, but things happened and I gained weight. I'll take your advice and just lose the weight first, then slowly do a recomp. I'll check out that link. Thanks!