Slimming World

Options
sutibo
sutibo Posts: 71 Member
edited July 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Is anyone using Slimming World as a way to help make food choices? Are there any recommendations of how to use Slimming World and MFP together?

I went to one of the meetings last night - I think I need to be accountable to someone so I'm hoping the weekly weigh in will help keep me focused and motivated. I quite liked the people in the group, they all seemed to be having fun.

I want to continue to track calories in/out using MFP and will probably use the SW literature to help with the sensible food choices.

I was just wondering if anyone was doing this, what your experience was and what tips you had.

Thanks

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I haven't used SW, but similar regimens, and for me, "the help to make food choices" was exactly what made weight management impossible. I would lose weight, yes, but regain, every time. MFP lets you make your own decisions based on your own needs and preferences. I suggest reading up on nutrition (from good sources; you should also be critical to what you read, even on government sites), log what you eat (or plan to eat) in your food diary, hit your calorie and macro goals, and go with how you react to what you eat, and adjust to improve satiety and energy, as well as enjoyment. Adherence is crucial, and you are more likely to follow your own plan than someone else's.
  • sutibo
    Options
    I haven't used SW...
    I don't think I was very clear.
    I'm not really looking for a critique of the SW programme, I'm looking for people's experience of how they have used MFP and SW together.

- I've joined the SW group because I know the weekly accountability will keep me motivated. (this was true when I had a trainer weigh me, but SW is about £30 cheaper)
    - I'm going to continue to use MFP to track macros and calories in/out as I know that this simple maths is the way to lose weight.
    - I'm going to use the literature to help with food choices (oh look there's more protein Kale compared to courgette - I'll try Kale today).

However as part of showing commitment to the SW group I'd like to follow their process - they have exercise log sheets, food diary etc.

I was just wondering whether people had used SW with MFP and had any advice.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I understand, but I still think you should focus on you, and do these things for yourself, not to show loyalty to someone who takes your money.

Most diets follow the same principles, but weight loss is just CICO.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you use the search function on the boards. I know there are a lot of people on here who use SW or WW alongside MFP as I have seen discussions in the forums about it.

You obviously know what you need and I am sure you will find like minded people on MFP we are a very diverse lot :)
  • sutibo
    Options
    I would suggest you use the search function on the boards. I know there are a lot of people on here who use SW or WW alongside MFP as I have seen discussions in the forums about it.

You obviously know what you need and I am sure you will find like minded people on MFP we are a very diverse lot :)

I've never even noticed that "Search" link before - not sure how I missed it. I'm off to trawl around, thank you
  • lhtbuzz123
    lhtbuzz123 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I used MFP & Slimming World together for 12 weeks (free with NHS). I found it a very useful starting point - Love their healthy recipes, talking to actual people about what works & where locally to find healthy foods. The only thing I did differently to usual SW was to log & limit myself to the MFP calories rather than having LOADS of their "free" foods. Have now lost 4st, just following their advice of increasing fruit/veg portions, drinking more fluids & moving more. Decided not to pay to continue with SW, but it can be helpful & work alongside MFP
  • morcadioa
    morcadioa Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm doing slimming world and mfp together. I do pretty much what Ihtbuzz123 has said above. It works great for me.
  • ErnieM88
    ErnieM88 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I log my food and do SW, I agree with lhtbuzz as well, definitely good to log all food as it can show you the breakdown of what you're eating - feel free to add me as a friend, my diary is open so you can have a look.

Ignore the pizza I'm eating today though, won't you...