Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

8 Hour a Day Office Job, 30 Minutes of Exercise a Day Not Enough

Options
12346»

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Everyone is born with knowledge and folks need to make better choices based on instinct.

Most people who base their eating patter on "instincts" are on here because they are now overweight.

But i bet in the back of their mind and tummy they know they shouldn't be eating that extra donut or polishing off the family size bag of chips every night :wink: They just choose to ignore that instinct/thought/feeling.

My instincts are telling me that I need donuts right about now. Thanks for that ;)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Everyone is born with knowledge and folks need to make better choices based on instinct.

Most people who base their eating patter on "instincts" are on here because they are now overweight.

But i bet in the back of their mind and tummy they know they shouldn't be eating that extra donut or polishing off the family size bag of chips every night :wink: They just choose to ignore that instinct/thought/feeling.

My instincts are telling me that I need donuts right about now. Thanks for that ;)

Mine are saying chips.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I saw in another article related to this study, the average American spends 5 non-work hours a day in front of a tube.

Individual results may vary, but on average people can do more but choose not to.

Very glad I have NEVER been in that "average". Most days the "tube" does not even come on. Who the hell has time for that?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I'd tackle the issue of a job where you take 2 hours of travel each way while working 10 hours. That can't be healthy psychologically.

That's a huge amount of travel alright. I wouldn't want to do that, I used to drive over an hour one way and that's bad enough at half the time.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    I know you can add another 30 mins to your workout. An hour a day is hardly any sacrifice.

Let's see...

Wake 0530 - shower, dress, breakfast
    Leave house 0615
    arrive work 0830 - drive to the station, train, then a fifteen minute walk
    finish work 1830
    arrive home c2100
    dinner, housework and a bodyweight session will take up to midnight
    bed at about 0030

merely an example of where vacuous statements around adding time to a workout really don't add to the debate.

I would hardly call the statement vacuous. Look, if you really wanted to add 30 minutes a day of activity you would find a way. Stop making excuses and just get it done, or don't. But either way, own it.

And as anticipated, another vacuous comment.

So what solution would you suggest? New job that doesn't involve that amount of travel? Not having a disabled partner? Less than 5 hours sleep? Excuses perhaps, but finding alternative approaches mean disruptive, rather than incremental, lifestyle change. Finding half an hour isn't quite as simple as the original, and indeed your response, would suggest.

I'll acknowledge that the description of the day was slightly disingenuous, I'll fit in two 1.5-2hour sessions midweek, then a 2-3 hour and a 3-4 hour session at weekends. Achieving that involves considerable financial impact, as facilitating the midweek sessions costs c£200 each, to my business.

I'm sorry, but computing your health in the respect just isn't something I would do. I've taken a considerable pay cut to get to a more healthy life and wouldn't go back. More money isn't worth the health impacts and I learned that after my father, highly successful, ended where he is now and regrets that. Life is more than a bank balance.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    What hits me most is this: Studies are crap. Everyone is born with knowledge and folks need to make better choices based on instinct. We humans want a study or authority figure to tell us what to do so we can avoid responsibility if we end up not liking the outcome.

Humans are not born with knowledge, they are born with instinctual response. That instinct is actually what makes people fat in a land of plenty and ease. Knowledge and effort are required to undo it.

Not at the base - not at the core. The core - the foundation is simply "Want-to". Knowledge will fix nothing.

Hence the effort part. Knowing and doing are generally useless by themselves. My knowing how to track food intake would be pointless if I didn't do it. My tracking food intake would be pointless if I didn't know to weigh (or at least get a very good estimate) of what I was eating. We see examples of both here, daily.
    The exact same thing can apply to exercises. I know what lifting regimen works for me. That doesn't change theh fact that said knowledge was useless to me, during the last three years when I was being lazy as *kitten*.

And that goes to my point - studies are silly. Study results are based on interpretation. Tomorrow some new study will say after 8hrs at work one should nap for 2 hours then eat an oreo pack. (shrug)

Studies to guide us are goofy. We - anyone semi-enlighted about their body - know what to do.

No, the only way you achieve enlightenment is through study and if you think you know better than the research have fun with that.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'd tackle the issue of a job where you take 2 hours of travel each way while working 10 hours. That can't be healthy psychologically.

That's a huge amount of travel alright. I wouldn't want to do that, I used to drive over an hour one way and that's bad enough at half the time.

Yeah, I seriously considered a job where I would have had to move or deal with a 1.5 hour commute each way (in awful traffic -- reverse commute from the city to a suburb that was pretty far out). I thought about ways to handle it, audiobooks, maybe trying to do weird hours, but decided I just couldn't. Currently it annoys me enough that my commute is 45 minutes each way, mainly because it's way too close for that to make sense, not that I think that's inherently bad. I'm fortunate that I can run the whole way in about an hour (or longer if I want a longer route), bike it in 30 minutes (or again longer if I want a longer ride, which I normally do, at least one way), or get off the L early and walk a good bit of it, so it's easy to combine with activity.

I was surprised when looking at commuting statistics in the US, though, that most DON'T have even so long a commute as mine -- average is around 25 minutes, although it varies a decent amount: https://project.wnyc.org/commute-times-us/embed.html#6.00/42.009/-87.905.

Average in my zip is 36 minutes.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I'll admit that I do spend a fair amount of time at the computer once I get home from my desk job, but I'm also one of those people with an above average commute time. On average I commute about 1 hour (give or take about 5 minutes) to work, then have roughly a 75 minute commute home. Sometimes it takes me 90 minutes to get home if the traffic is heavier than normal.
  • Connieluvsfitness
    Connieluvsfitness Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    New study out saying the 30 minutes of moderate exercise recommended per day is not enough if you sit 8 hours in an office/car, etc.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2016/07/27/study-suggests-new-formula-for-physical-activity-8-hours-of-sitting-means-1-hour-of-exercise/

From the article:

“The current public health recommendations for physical activity are based on very solid evidence and our data support these. … However, if you sit for many hours a day (i.e. > 8 hours) you need to do at least one hour of moderate activity every day to offset the association between sitting time and mortality,” Ekelund wrote."

I agree the body was not created to just sit in one place all day ... get up and move