Looking your habits in the eye...

Options
The All or Nothing thinking is my enemy. I have a bad day or a bad few days, and I am DONE. then I go off the edge. or I have two big glasses of chocolate milk and feel like I need to drink the rest because I already messed up. I inhale my food. The past three days I was on a binge-bender in terms of calories and was over by about 1200 calories a day. that is me! Then when I eat horrible I dont track it, because who wants to see that? I decided to log my food anyway and was pretty horrified. nothing like the in 5 weeks if you eat like this, you will gain 5-8 pounds...that's pretty bad. Anyways point is, If i am not willing to see the ugly parts of myself that over-eat, and to really get a grasp of the problem by staring it in the face, how am I ever going to solve it? :) today is a new day, and I am back on track!

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    The All or Nothing thinking is my enemy. I have a bad day or a bad few days, and I am DONE. then I go off the edge. or I have two big glasses of chocolate milk and feel like I need to drink the rest because I already messed up. I inhale my food. The past three days I was on a binge-bender in terms of calories and was over by about 1200 calories a day. that is me! Then when I eat horrible I dont track it, because who wants to see that? I decided to log my food anyway and was pretty horrified. nothing like the in 5 weeks if you eat like this, you will gain 5-8 pounds...that's pretty bad. Anyways point is, If i am not willing to see the ugly parts of myself that over-eat, and to really get a grasp of the problem by staring it in the face, how am I ever going to solve it? :) today is a new day, and I am back on track!

This, in bold, is an excellent habit to get into

You've halted in 3 days what previously might have taken 3 months or 3 years to address

Maybe next time, you'll halt it on day 1

Kudos!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Yes, giving up the black/white, all-or-nothing is essential to long term weight management. You're in this for life, but don't think of it as a life sentence - find a way to balance pleasure and health. Food should be enjoyed, but not abused.

Be aware that the prediction of your weight is based on you eating like that EVERY DAY for the next 5 weeks. If you eat over your goal now and then, it will do no harm. What you do most often, is what's important. Just create good habits, and stick to them most of the time.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Log it before you eat it. That way denial is impossible.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    No wants to see the bad and ugly, but how do you learn if you do not own up to it?

Know that every day is not gonna be perfect and sometimes the world does not revolve around our diet! Things just happen.

But you have an arsenal of tools which are MFP app, the food scale and a calorie deficit setup. You also have free will!

If you choose not to use the tools just know the only alternative is to accept the fate you lay out before you, or you can wallow in despair, grief and shame, but who wants to do that?
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Everyone has days that they over eat. However, it is best to log it instead of trying to ignore it. Putting it down and seeing just how many calories you overate can be eye opening. Instead of a way to "treat" yourself or something "you deserve," the binge looks more like you are hurting yourself.

• NJCJF
    NJCJF Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Yes, giving up the black/white, all-or-nothing is essential to long term weight management. You're in this for life, but don't think of it as a life sentence - find a way to balance pleasure and health. Food should be enjoyed, but not abused.

Be aware that the prediction of your weight is based on you eating like that EVERY DAY for the next 5 weeks. If you eat over your goal now and then, it will do no harm. What you do most often, is what's important. Just create good habits, and stick to them most of the time.

This