For those that do early morning work outs

I started a C25K type of program a few months ago, and I would do my work outs in the evenings after work. I have a new job, and no longer have time/energy in the evenings to work out, so I decided I need to get up earlier to make time.

This morning I went out to the track by my house, and felt great at first, but got nauseous really fast (I've never been nauseous during a work out before). I had this kind of coppery taste in my mouth and felt like I was going to throw up. My question is, has anyone else experienced this? If you wake up early for your work out, do you eat anything before-hand? I didn't eat anything, I just threw on my work out clothes and ran out the door. Would grabbing something quick before I go help?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• demac9196
    demac9196 Posts: 1
    I don't eat anything before am workout. I do drink caffeine though. Not sure I'd eat anything but why not try it once like a banana. Chew it to a pulp though. It works better for digestion. My daughter is a swimmer and she does this, but she also waits 30 minutes. Have you been exercising a lot? Keep up with C25k if you can. I never ran a day in my life till I did that and I run up to 8 miles at once without walking.
  • cashes52702
    cashes52702 Posts: 13 Member
    I used to go about 4 days a week, but it's been about 6 weeks since I've done it. This morning wasn't quite like starting from scratch, but pretty close! I only made it about a mile and a half because I was convinced I was going to be sick :/
  • MobOfBricks
    MobOfBricks Posts: 22 Member
    I just drink a glass of water before I start getting ready and may be half a square of dark chocolate. Some how it acts like "speed" to me.
    If it s above 70°F (@ 6am) I take a bottle of cold water with me) but if it s nice and dry out I dont.

Above all I found out that to work out before 7am well, I need at least 7 hours of sleep.

Good luck!
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    I drink water but don't eat before working out... most of the time. On the weekends, if I get up later than normal and am starving, I'll have a little applesauce. That's it.

I've felt that way before (nauseous, etc) but it was when I first started 30 Day Shred and would really work myself hard. I hadn't worked out in a long time before that. Now I don't feel that way unless I really push myself too much. I personally think I'd be more nauseous if I ate before working out.
  • krazeedr
    krazeedr Posts: 35 Member
    I get up at 4am for my gym visits. I work out for about 50 minutes to an hour doing cardio - 3mph walking, elliptical, or stationary bike. I drink a glass of water before I leave the house and I drink a pint of water while I'm there. I don't eat until about an hour after - after I've gotten ready and am leaving for work.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    I go to the gym at 6am with my trainer. I have a banana and a glass of water before. I also stay hydrated during my workout. If you are just starting out, there is usually an adjustment period.
  • elaine_des
    elaine_des Posts: 189 Member
    I get up at 6am to do the C25K. I usually don't eat anything unless I feel like i'm really hungry, then I eat a banana with a little bit of peannut butter.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    I used to have something before my morning workouts but that was when I was getting up a little bit later to do them (like 6 a.m.). Now I am getting up at 4:45 to be at the gym for 5:30 and I don't usually eat anything pre-workout because I'm not hungry.

My only thought would be perhaps you pushed yourself a little bit harder than you normally have?
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    same same sister !!!!!!!!!!!!! I start the day with a low cal diet shake and then start off 15 minnies later. My fav shake is at Walmart--the E,A,S, advantedge shakes. They aren't as heavy as the other ones---but I do drink when I get up and by the time I brush teeth and dress--I am ready to hit the track
  • KardioKim
    KardioKim Posts: 160 Member
    I get up at 5 and I drink water before and during exercise.

I've felt nauseous before. It usually hits me just after the workout, though. It's generally mild and I never get sick. The felling never lasts forbmore than a few minutes. I don't know why this happens.
  • tryttej
    tryttej Posts: 18 Member
    I get up about 4:45 to work out during the school year (I'm a teacher), and get nauseous if I DO eat before I work out. Multi-vitamins sometimes make me feel like you described. Did you take one before you left that morning???
  • cashes52702
    cashes52702 Posts: 13 Member
    I get up about 4:45 to work out during the school year (I'm a teacher), and get nauseous if I DO eat before I work out. Multi-vitamins sometimes make me feel like you described. Did you take one before you left that morning???

I did not, I rolled out of bed at about 5 and straight in to gear and left! I made sure I went to be at 8:30 to make sure I'd get enough sleep. This was just weird! :)
  • janegeraldine
    janegeraldine Posts: 20 Member
    I find that two Fig Newman cookies eaten before I start to get dressed work pretty well. I feel energized enough and don't ever feel sick and I run over 3 miles, up to 4.5 every day.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    I used to get nauseous before working out so I'd have 1/2 banana... then something changed and now I get nauseous if I eat.

It could be your body is used to having fuel to WO and needs a little something. You may find this may change as you get used to the morning workouts.

I usually get up around 5am and I'm out the door by 5:30 for a run through the neighborhood. I currently only have 8-12 oz of water before hitting the pavement.

However I will eat a little something on race days or if I'm running 6+ miles in a morning.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    I don't eat anything before I go out for a morning run but I do have a few sips of water. Don't drink a lot of water before a run otherwise you'd feel bloated and probably want to throw up.
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    That happens to me occasionally on my morning runs. I also tend to get light headed at the same time.

It's advance warning that I'm about to get sick in a day or two.